Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Last year was not a good Kevin Steele D but most of that was in the Dline and not so much at LB and DB.  You’ve got 2 lock down CBS in Simpson and McCreary.  The safety play hasn’t been great and the hyper Db transfers haven’t delivered.  I’m not sure who CHM is but I think you meant Gus and the only positions that are bare are OL and maybe WR.

I have maintained for years that 2013 was the worst thing to happen to the Auburn fanbase and stuff like this is why. We just beat a ranked team for the first time in like 6 games, on the road and by two scores no less. Where is your head at that this merits firing the DC?? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I have maintained for years that 2013 was the worst thing to happen to the Auburn fanbase and stuff like this is why. We just beat a ranked team for the first time in like 6 games, on the road and by two scores no less. Where is your head at that this merits firing the DC?? 

If every game ain’t a shutout then the DC has to go (sarcasm)

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Giving up the 3rd and longs can’t continue like that. But we also were pretty strong in 3rd and short and 4th and short. It’s a weird defense to watch. Give up tons of yards and the stats aren’t great but when you look at the scoreboard they are pretty solid. 

People just don’t appreciate how hard it is to change schemes like we did. Every team struggles making the change. It’s going to take some patients but I really think in the long wrong we’ll be liking the brew scheme. It is hard to watch at times right now. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

I’m as frustrated as anyone with Masons play calling and style. I LOATHED the Ted Roof years. This current scheme may be even harder to watch than those years and I even vocalized it in the game thread. If it doesn’t change I may just start missing the first 2 minutes of the opposing offense drives til we have to tighten up near the red zone b/c watching guys sit in the middle of a prevent zone and see our DBs wait until a pass is caught before even attempting to defend makes my head want to explode…..

BUT….

They only gave up 23 to a good offense and scored 7 themselves so they gave up a net 16 points. 

If they keep doing that he keeps his job. I won’t expect that to keep working as Ole Miss’ qb will absolutely DESTROY us if we do that all game and so will bamas…so I’m expecting a shift in philosophy soon…

BUT AGAIN, as long as he’s getting overall results hes our guy

I thought CDM did a good job of playing the “bend but not break” philosophy. Basically kept the ball in front of the defense and didn’t allow any explosive plays. 

it also helped our offense could score this weekend though to play that game plan 

2 hours ago, TXaubie said:

I thought this was going to be a Bigbird thread. Figured it was going to have Mason standing near a fire or something. Interesting that someone could watch that game and feel we need to fire the d.c. and the DB’s coach. 

bruce-lee-bow.gif

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

I thought CDM did a good job of playing the “bend but not break” philosophy. Basically kept the ball in front of the defense and didn’t allow any explosive plays. 

it also helped our offense could score this weekend though to play that game plan 

It is scary to watch, but it's probably the best compromise with the learning curve. I felt bad for the D when we scored on that 1st down post and D had to go right back on the field. Certainly wouldn't have foregone the points. But I bet D was wishing the O had taken a couple more plays to give them a breather.

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nah.  I’ll admit I’m wrong if they shut Ole Miss’s passing attack down. 

Sure thing “coach”.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

What I love about this staff so far is they appear to be really good at making halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball.  Great win today.  The off week couldn't come at a better time for us either.

This is true. It's good to see it happening on both sides of the ball.

• Like 2

FWIW for those pining for Kevin Steele:

2016 8-5

2017 10-4

2018 8-5

2019 9-4

2020 6-5

I know there were offensive woes galore, but defense was not always a stone wall either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Last year was not a good Kevin Steele D but most of that was in the Dline and not so much at LB and DB.  You’ve got 2 lock down CBS in Simpson and McCreary.  The safety play hasn’t been great and the hyper Db transfers haven’t delivered.  I’m not sure who CHM is but I think you meant Gus and the only positions that are bare are OL and maybe WR.

I looked back at the WR crop we recruited in 2020…those dudes were really heralded. You can call it looking at stars more than anything but you can’t tell me THAT many guys are all flops. Canion, Capers, JJ (Pegues and Evans), Malcolm Johnson, Brandon Frazier, one of the guys other than Kobe has to be good. 

The 2020 Auburn D was top 4 in scoring D, they weren’t the problem in any game except UA imo. Got beat up by UGA, but the O gave them nothing 

Lack of edge rush just killed Steele. Give Mason and them props for finding multiple solid edge rushers in just one offseason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

What a terrible take. Mason called a great ball game, people who know about the 3-4 defensive scheme know this. 

You right about that.  I've seen tangible improvement across the board on defense this year.  I'm not crazy about some of the calls, especially taking aggressive, talented corners and having them play passive.  However, they are improving and this is with converted DL who aren't necessarily well suited for the interior line in this scheme.   We are blowing things on the back-end too regularly but overall the zones are tightening, and the pressure is getting more and more consistent.  

• Like 3

Will take the win.....but I was hoping to see some twists or stunts up front with our DL....we seem to do mostly bull rush, not too much fighting trying to get off the lineman (no swim technique)...also, like to see more 3 and outs....

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m as frustrated as anyone with Masons play calling and style. I LOATHED the Ted Roof years. This current scheme may be even harder to watch than those years and I even vocalized it in the game thread. If it doesn’t change I may just start missing the first 2 minutes of the opposing offense drives til we have to tighten up near the red zone b/c watching guys sit in the middle of a prevent zone and see our DBs wait until a pass is caught before even attempting to defend makes my head want to explode…..

BUT….

They only gave up 23 to a good offense and scored 7 themselves so they gave up a net 16 points. 

If they keep doing that he keeps his job. I won’t expect that to keep working as Ole Miss’ qb will absolutely DESTROY us if we do that all game and so will bamas…so I’m expecting a shift in philosophy soon…

BUT AGAIN, as long as he’s getting overall results hes our guy

We will reinforce it even more against ole miss and Alabama with their passing attacks. Gonna try everything to not get beat deep. Corral throwing for at least 200. As long as we win I’m good. Kinda frustrating but I don’t see this secondary making big strides this season. It is what it is.

Edited by WFE12

Guest MustardSeed
40 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

We will reinforce it even more against ole miss and Alabama with their passing attacks. Gonna try everything to not get beat deep. Corral throwing for at least 200. As long as we win I’m good. Kinda frustrating but I don’t see this secondary making big strides this season. It is what it is.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

Will take the win.....but I was hoping to see some twists or stunts up front with our DL....we seem to do mostly bull rush, not too much fighting trying to get off the lineman (no swim technique)...also, like to see more 3 and outs....

Someone that knows more correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the gash runs between the tackles were pretty much because of stunts by our d line. Haven't re-watched it yet, but on first glance, that's what I saw.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (I suck) said:

Yes he needs fired and left in Arkansas. As far as schemes go . I have never seen one work with pour tackling . You can’t bump Sec players and hope they fall down . You can count to 8 seconds on at least 9plays in today’s game alone 

What the hell is a pour tackle?

1 minute ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Well, it’s when … I got nothing!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Those dam homophones have struck again!

Edited by Never2Yield
  • Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, tomcat said:

FWIW for those pining for Kevin Steele:

2016 8-5

2017 10-4

2018 8-5

2019 9-4

2020 6-5

I know there were offensive woes galore, but defense was not always a stone wall either.

In all fairness to KS, we were top 15 in scoring defense all but one of those years (2020) with an offense that continually went 3 and out. Not saying Mason can’t do better, but KS had a pretty solid d considering

Guest MustardSeed
12 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Oh I think I remember this back from my drinking days. It’s when you tackle a guy stealing a pour of your liquor, right?

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The 2020 Auburn D was top 4 in scoring D, they weren’t the problem in any game except UA imo. Got beat up by UGA, but the O gave them nothing 

Lack of edge rush just killed Steele. Give Mason and them props for finding multiple solid edge rushers in just one offseason

I’m seeing 37th??

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2021-01-12

Edited by MustardSeed