Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I looked back at the WR crop we recruited in 2020…those dudes were really heralded. You can call it looking at stars more than anything but you can’t tell me THAT many guys are all flops. Canion, Capers, JJ (Pegues and Evans), Malcolm Johnson, Brandon Frazier, one of the guys other than Kobe has to be good. 

I’m not calling the WR flops.  I just havent seen anything out of them other than Hudson.  I was definitely expecting more out of Capiers and Canion this season.  I said this about Bo in another thread but not every high ranking recruit comes out and balls year 1.  Sometimes it take several seasons for everything to come together.  

Guest MustardSeed
12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Top 4 in conference 

Which didn’t mean much. I was wrong. We were 37th. We were 23rd in ‘19. 
37th is not good 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The 2020 Auburn D was top 4 in scoring D, they weren’t the problem in any game except UA imo. Got beat up by UGA, but the O gave them nothing 

Lack of edge rush just killed Steele. Give Mason and them props for finding multiple solid edge rushers in just one offseason

Texas A&M ran all over them.  You kind of made my point though.  The defense last year would have held Arkansas to 17 today. They did a good job bringing in people to improve the D.  The Dline is better but the defensive backfield has regressed.  It was pointed out prior to Penn State that the D was giving up a crazy amount of completions to lesser opponents.  Today the d gave up 3rd and 12,15 over and over to wide open receivers.  I’ve obviously upset some folks with my opinion but I think this defense should be so much better with the personnel.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Which didn’t mean much. I was wrong. We were 37th. We were 23rd in ‘19. 
37th is not good 

As I recall they were about 5 points away from #2 whoever that was. I had the list remembered for a while 

37th would’ve been fine if the offense took the expected step. And I still don’t think it was the main problem in 3 of the 4 regular season losses 

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Texas A&M ran all over them.  You kind of made my point though.  The defense last year would have held Arkansas to 17 today. They did a good job bringing in people to improve the D.  The Dline is better but the defensive backfield has regressed.  It was pointed out prior to Penn State that the D was giving up a crazy amount of completions to lesser opponents.  Today the d gave up 3rd and 12,15 over and over to wide open receivers.  I’ve obviously upset some folks with my opinion but I think this defense should be so much better with the personnel.

A&M wore us down, D kept us until the 4th or so just like in that UGA game.  Depth difference 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

As I recall they were about 5 points away from #2 whoever that was. I had the list remembered for a while 

37th would’ve been fine if the offense took the expected step. And I still don’t think it was the main problem in 3 of the 4 regular season losses 

No certainly not the main problem. 

Guest MustardSeed
11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Went and looked it up just for fun. We were 4th in the SEC in PPG at 24.7.  The SEC defenses last year weren’t good (of course schedules were tougher tho) . To put it in perspective this year so fat 24.7 would be 10th overall.  So far this year before today we were 5th averaging 19.2

E436D9BB-1B00-436A-8E9F-B08C829B6F09.jpeg

D1C024FC-3D34-47E4-B4A5-F3A7CDA6FEA9.jpeg

Edited by MustardSeed

3 hours ago, tomcat said:

FWIW for those pining for Kevin Steele:

2016 8-5

2017 10-4

2018 8-5

2019 9-4

2020 6-5

I know there were offensive woes galore, but defense was not always a stone wall either.

Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson will make any coaches job easier. Might even make an average defensive coordinator look like genius. I am interested to see how it would make Mason look. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I truly like Coach Mason, but of all of Harsin’s hires, he’s my biggest disappointment so far. Not calling for his head, but sometimes I scratch my head on his strategy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Wait, are we firing Mason because he won for AU?

No, some Vandy fans got lost and wandered onto the wrong board. Don't worry about it.

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

No, some Vandy fans got lost and wandered onto the wrong board. Don't worry about it.

Vamdy has fans?  When did this happen?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Copy that. I just wanted to make sure that I understood in a win 4 AU, someone wanted him fired.

Ironically enough,  the OP of this thread is named’Win4AU’.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I truly like Coach Mason, but of all of Harsin’s hires, he’s my biggest disappointment so far. Not calling for his head, but sometimes I scratch my head on his strategy. 

I'm just hoping there's a lost in translation issue going on. For as wildly overhyped as some guys made out Knighten, and for as...much of a question mark as the list of things Kaufman has done this season....there's still a TON of talent in this secondary. Almost everyone would be better with another season, regardless of system, but this is the best secondary he's had from top to bottom since some of these guys were in elementary. 

As always, I'd love for people who know more to expound on why, but Puckett is making Tutt and Daniel Thomas look like NFL DBs with how he's getting done dirty at least once a game nowadays. 

• Like 1

This contain has to be way better than it was today. OM won't go away from those sideline RPOs like Briles did today. And while not stronger, Corral is alot sleeker than K.J

Think they're going to need 35+ again or finally, some interceptions 

• Like 1

Some continue to lose sight of my favorite defensive stat: points allowed. We are doing fine there. 

Having said that, we do need to improve on 3rd down. Way too many 3rd and longs converted. Clean that up and we are in business. Get the opposing offense off the field, improve time of possession and field position, and watch the rushing game improve.  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Last year was not a good Kevin Steele D but most of that was in the Dline and not so much at LB and DB.  You’ve got 2 lock down CBS in Simpson and McCreary.  The safety play hasn’t been great and the hyper Db transfers haven’t delivered.  I’m not sure who CHM is but I think you meant Gus and the only positions that are bare are OL and maybe WR.

Hit the h right beside the g but you know who it was. Bodies yes we have them. Talent appears to be a little barren in the corners and safety positions and I dont know if you watched how we played against Ga St but the LB without our 2 starters... well I'll leave it at that. I am a CGM fan but even I can see the lack of talent on the defense and oline. 

The decline of the defense started before last season but I was making the point that our defense hasn't been really good  before this season because the person I was replying to seemed to make that assumption. 

Edited by tbone4jc

Fundamental D skills apparently not being reinforced but we've had critical defenders out virtually every game since PSU. We're only solid 2 deep at OLB so having Owen out is significant for rotation. Give Mason a chance.

This thread is proof of the assertion that throwing crap against the wall will sometimes stick..lol. Oh, and also people will legitimately debate the crap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Some continue to lose sight of my favorite defensive stat: points allowed. We are doing fine there. 

Having said that, we do need to improve on 3rd down. Way too many 3rd and longs converted. Clean that up and we are in business. Get the opposing offense off the field, improve time of possession and field position, and watch the rushing game improve.  

You are correct . We need to figure out 3rd down but the defense is not the problem . It is the personnel executed . Once again I watched ole miss run their 3-2-6 and Alabama run the same principle defense against Miss state. Their players do a much better job pursuing , gang tackling and reacting to the pass once hit leaves the QB hands. 

• Like 3

Yeah this thread is pointless. I don't always agree with his calls, can't stand the prevent defense he likes to play but I'll gladly eat crow if the defense keeps doing it's job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

reacting to the pass once hit leaves the QB hands. 

This is the issue right now in the secondary. Well, that and finding a consistent starter at safety opposite Smoke. (ZP is my choice out of what's been seen, but I'd like to see LT get some run there too)

Besides UGA I haven't really seen blown assignments. They are playing the scheme, just not as good as it as they play press man (Some will understand as to why). Simpson is the best zone corner, IMO.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is the issue right now in the secondary. Well, that and finding a consistent starter at safety opposite Smoke. (ZP is my choice out of what's been seen, but I'd like to see LT get some run there too)

Besides UGA I haven't really seen blown assignments. They are playing the scheme, just not as good as it as they play press man (Some will understand as to why). Simpson is the best zone corner, IMO.  

You know much better than I do. I just see the same zone principles being utilized but some of our fans the CDM is an idiot. He isn’t , he is trying to put our players in the best position . They are also learning as well. You can still be an aggressive player in the zone . I watched the Ole miss DB playing in their match up zone,  was 5-7 yards off the ball and as soon as hooker (the Tennessee qb) released the football , he pursu d straight to the ball and knocked it down. Our guys are still learning that type of action. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5