Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Our guys are still learning that type of action. 

Exactly!  They are improving. To me, the eyes are the hardest part to learn. Watching the routes, the QB, and the ball all at the same time takes some time to get used to, especially if you've only ever played in the receiver's chest.  There will be substantial growth before next season.

• Like 9

"Fire Mason" and replace him with Muschamp, who is wandering the UGA sidelines as an analyst. Can you imagine the howling from some quarters here were AU to do that?

I don't think firing Mason is a good idea, his schemes seem to be settling in, but it would be fun to watch the reactions on this board from a certain few.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is the issue right now in the secondary. Well, that and finding a consistent starter at safety opposite Smoke. (ZP is my choice out of what's been seen, but I'd like to see LT get some run there too)

Besides UGA I haven't really seen blown assignments. They are playing the scheme, just not as good as it as they play press man (Some will understand as to why). Simpson is the best zone corner, IMO.  

I like Smoke but in my opinion he is so much better in run support than coverage.. we definitely need his leadership out there with whoever is playing opposite of him.. Simpson needs to be on the field..thought he was our best corner in the LSU game.. they are all learning a new system and it will take time.. they have improved. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Texas A&M ran all over them.  You kind of made my point though.  The defense last year would have held Arkansas to 17 today. They did a good job bringing in people to improve the D.  The Dline is better but the defensive backfield has regressed.  It was pointed out prior to Penn State that the D was giving up a crazy amount of completions to lesser opponents.  Today the d gave up 3rd and 12,15 over and over to wide open receivers.  I’ve obviously upset some folks with my opinion but I think this defense should be so much better with the personnel.

We gave up 27 last year 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is the issue right now in the secondary. Well, that and finding a consistent starter at safety opposite Smoke. (ZP is my choice out of what's been seen, but I'd like to see LT get some run there too)

Besides UGA I haven't really seen blown assignments. They are playing the scheme, just not as good as it as they play press man (Some will understand as to why). Simpson is the best zone corner, IMO.  

Not better than Mccreary. Simpson a good tackler 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Speaking of fired, Coach O is out at the end of the season. I wonder who they will go after

Damn those unreasonable Auburn fans are out of control!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, esotre said:

Not better than Mccreary. Simpson a good tackler 

Agree to disagree. I think RM is by far the best man corner and best NFL prospect, but in this D, Simpson seems to either understand the scheme better or is just better at breaking on the routes and closing.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Thanks for the insight, guys. I definitely don't have the knowledge/aptitude to diagnose the specific issues like you guys and this makes a lot of sense. This is the kind of thing I love about this forum.

I've been a little surprised by the secondary, but maybe all we need is a little patience. 

• Like 1

It would be nice to get some turnovers and more 3 and outs....hopefully we'll have a lot of them for the second half of the season...

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Agree to disagree. I think RM is by far the best man corner and best NFL prospect, but in this D, Simpson seems to either understand the scheme better or is just better at breaking on the routes and closing.

McCreary had to be like WTH are these coverages in the offseason.  lol. The dude has been playing man his whole life.  Got to give him credit, he is getting better and as a true leader, hasn't complained.  

Bird, middle-backer here so I don't know much about anything, but it seems Mason is trying to work in some coverages to suit our guys natural skills, I just think the safety play has been so bad, one in particular, it's limiting Mason's ability to combo coverages more suitable to McCreary's skills.  IDK.  

Mason is a damn good DC, and has earned my respect with the things he has tried recently.  Can't wait to see this D when Mason has the guys that fit his scheme.  Just wish he'd leave McClain closer to the LOS, and not running around in no-mans land.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hell yeah

I think I know what you mean.

With all the talent recruited in the secondary, are you surprised we haven't replaced him with someone else? Is this maybe another practice/earn your spot thing?

One thing I wish we would improve on is our D-linemen getting their hands up on pass plays. We’ve had a lot of opportunities to deflect passes but haven’t because  hands never went up. Good things happen for the defense when passes get tipped. 

16 minutes ago, cbo said:

I think I know what you mean.

With all the talent recruited in the secondary, are you surprised we haven't replaced him with someone else? Is this maybe another practice/earn your spot thing?

Very much so, I'd love to see a few others given those snaps. As a safety, you have to be able to find the angle on the run.

Maybe, I'm really not sure. I'm puzzled. There has to be better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Mccreary breaking passes up. Most of his picks came in zone coverage almost had one against Arkansas. Simpson is a better man corner to me 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USATiger said:

McCreary had to be like WTH are these coverages in the offseason.  lol. The dude has been playing man his whole life.  Got to give him credit, he is getting better and as a true leader, hasn't complained.  

Bird, middle-backer here so I don't know much about anything, but it seems Mason is trying to work in some coverages to suit our guys natural skills, I just think the safety play has been so bad, one in particular, it's limiting Mason's ability to combo coverages more suitable to McCreary's skills.  IDK.  

Mason is a damn good DC, and has earned my respect with the things he has tried recently.  Can't wait to see this D when Mason has the guys that fit his scheme.  Just wish he'd leave McClain closer to the LOS, and not running around in no-mans land.

Lol I can’t agree. Mccreary actually always look good in zone coverage. He’s really a very good all around corner. The few times steele ran zone Mccreary played well 

4 hours ago, USATiger said:

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

It looked like ZP was out of position alot on Saturday. Not sure why but it did look like he was chasing alot. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Very much so, I'd love to see a few others given those snaps. As a safety, you have to be able to find the angle on the run.

Maybe, I'm really not sure. I'm puzzled. There has to be better

Has to be something with understanding alignments and communication that is just better than others.  I appreciate his effort but since the first game, his angles of attack have been very bad.  Not sure he’s SEC speed wise either.  Again I appreciate him and like Spurrier said….it ain’t your fault you screwed up, it’s mine for playing you.  Haha.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes that one break up RM had yesterday showed how good RM can be. You can’t coach those type reflections or speed . He has NFL talent. 

Agreed!  I was surprised, and extremely happy, Roger came back this year.  He could be playing a lot for an NFL team right now.  When he is allowed to match up 1v1 he is about as close to lock down as there is.   You can tell he was to lock on to the first receiver he sees and cover him to the locker room if needed.  Just not his responsibility most of the time.  Love the kid and can’t wait to see where he is drafted.  

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

It looked like ZP was out of position alot on Saturday. Not sure why but it did look like he was chasing alot. 

ZP actually in position just not making good plays on the ball. He should’ve undercut traylon on that td pass

• Like 2

• TitanTiger changed the title to Mason - critique/discussion

I am not a fan of the Mason D that we are playing but I don't see the players in practice on a daily basis so I can't attest to our talent level. I am assuming the coach does not feel confident in the DB's playing tight man to man or that they don't feel the D-line can get enough rush to allow the tight man to man as they always breaks down after a certain period of time. What I do like is that Mason makes adjustments and we play better in the second half to an extent. There were a couple of dropped passes by Arky players in the second half that might have led to a different outcome, but same could be said on a couple of Auburn passes that might have allowed us to put it away earlier. 

The man led stellar D's at other schools sometimes with less talent then we have.  My problem with the three man rush and the large amount of cushion we give receivers is it allows a team to march down the field and get into Red zone that said we seem to tighten up in Red zone and force teams to go for it on 4th down and fail or settle for FG.  

The cushion leads to easy completions but the other side of it when we play a little tighter but don't get a pass rush it eventually leads to a big play as no DB can cover an SEC receiver beyond a certain time frame.  

Bottom line is statistically we don't look that good except on Points allowed. The Arky O has been potent this year except against Georgia and nobody has scored well on them. We held Arky to 23 and we won.  Ole Miss. will be help me decide if the bend don't break philosophy can keep the score down and allow us a chance to win.