Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

17 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Only stat that matters.

The points allowed is kind of skewed because of playing Alabama State and Akron. Throw those two games out and Auburn Is giving up about 25 ppg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

The points allowed is kind of skewed because of playing Alabama State and Akron. Throw those two games out and Auburn Is giving up about 25 ppg

Somebody will counter that other teams have played cupcakes, too, but I'm not sure how much of our competition has played two cupcakes like that (plus what should've been a cupcake in GSU). 

"I don't believe in this bend but don't break crap. I wand a defense that gets stops and gets the ball back to me."~~~ Steve Spurrier, circa 1995.

• Like 1

I listened to Jerraud Powers on Justin Hokinson’s podcast last week and he sounded convinced that Mason’s scheme wasn’t the problem but that it was on the players failure to communicate and execute. Not saying I agree with him or that he’s correct, but I always give credence to guys that have been there and succeeded in the NFL and listen to their opinion. It was a good listen. 

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-live-show-with-former-auburn-and-nfl-cornerback-jerraud-powers/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Somebody will counter that other teams have played cupcakes, too, but I'm not sure how much of our competition has played two cupcakes like that (plus what should've been a cupcake in GSU). 

I should have rephrased it and stated something like teams that are considered decent are average about 25ppg. We caught some breaks on Saturday as Arky had some drops or bad throws when guys were wide open. 

Maybe I need a new TV it still seems the plays are a tad late coming in. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

I'm well aware. This stat gets skewed both ways as a season plays out. In the end, it is still the stat that matters most.

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

I should have rephrased it and stated something like teams that are considered decent are average about 25ppg. We caught some breaks on Saturday as Arky had some drops or bad throws when guys were wide open. 

Maybe I need a new TV it still seems the plays are a tad late coming in. 

Copy that. I was just lending support to the idea that our outliers might lie a little further out there than others. 

I'm a believer in bend don't break, personally. I know it's driven fans crazy for years but we've rarely given up big numbers on the scoreboard. My issue with the defense this year is it feels like we've given up too many chunk plays. But it sounds like we typically haven't... shrug... I dunno. 

I just don't wanna get McClonked anymore. That felt awful. My butt still hurts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So we did our job against the weaker competition. Every PPG stat in the history of stats has been skewed by playing weaker/stronger competition. That is why it's an average over the season.

I am not really sure what the argument here is? 

What is the most important stat when looking at Defensive performance? PPG. 

Of course we have played weaker teams that helped with that. All we can do is what we should in those circumstances. 

I am not happy with our Defensive performance for the most part, but Mason's D has done a pretty good job of keeping teams out of the endzone which is the most critical of measurements.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So we did our job against the weaker competition. Every PPG stat in the history of stats has been skewed by playing weaker/stronger competition. That is why it's an average over the season.

I am not really sure what the argument here is? 

What is the most important stat when looking at Defensive performance? PPG. 

Of course we have played weaker teams that helped with that. All we can do is what we should in those circumstances. 

I am not happy with our Defensive performance for the most part, but Mason's D has done a pretty good job of keeping teams out of the endzone which is the most critical of measurements.

That's why I said "not sure how much of our competition has played two cupcakes like that".

I didn't see e808 trying to make a big deal about anything, and I'm certainly not. Just fleshing out the numbers a little. 

• Like 2

Honest question here.... is it possible that Mason could be giving the opposing offense certain things early in the game just so he can take it away later in the game? It seems like a far fetched idea. I imagine every DC plan is to stop the other team on every single play. But it also hard for me to wrap my head around just how much the defense seems to improve as the game goes along. Would love to see some breakdowns of how our defense plays over the course of a game. 

I know it’s a bit premature but next years defense will really be interesting. We probably won’t get Zakoby back and not sure about Owen. We have already gotten a glimpse of playing without Zakoby looks like

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's why I said "not sure how much of our competition has played two cupcakes like that".

I didn't see e808 trying to make a big deal about anything, and I'm certainly not. Just fleshing out the numbers a little. 

The way you came in and said "I'm sure someone will counter with all teams have played cupcakes.." gave me a different implication. I misinterpreted it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The way you came in and said "I'm sure someone will counter with all teams have played cupcakes.." gave me a different implication. I misinterpreted it. 

I can see that- my bad

• Like 1

We are a team in the first year of a 3-4..... I really don't know what people that are complaining expected. Nobody even knew  our best d line players last year.

Also couldn't understand all the crying during the game. We were playing one of the top dual threat QB's in the league. You don't just bull rush mobile QB 's. That's what make them difficult. The reason LSU lost to us was because they tried to rush us like they did everyone else instead of focusing on containing Bo.

Clearly the d will go whichever way the d line goes and being that we didn't return any big time players from that unit and it's their first year......just can't understand the crying

And so far just like the wr unit, it seems they get better the more experience they get! So the youngest groups are getting better as they grow in experience......the crying and fire everybody stuff doesn't make sense. 

People cry about getting pressure on the QB as if all you have to do is push a button and they just can't understand why mason would choose not to get pressure lol. It's not a video game.

🏿

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What part of this are you facepalming? Not sure I understand?

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.37.18 PM.png

That was like an hour ago and I already offered a my bad, but it was in response to a few statements in the post that came across to me as a bit combative.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Against todays offenses that is really not that bad. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That was like an hour ago and I already offered a my bad, but it was in response to a few statements in the post that came across to me as a bit combative.

Oh. Got ya. I didn't see that until after our discourse so I thought you went after the fact and facepalmed so I was curious as to why. Again, Neither was I trying to be combative. Thanks Loof.

• Like 1

A little off topic here, but relates to the defense so I will say it here. Where would we be if Chandler Wooten didn't decide to return this year?

I will go ahead and say I have been highly critical of his play at times myself. I have seen him have horrible run fits, bad angles, and at times even what looked like questionable effort IMO, but he has also had some really bright moments. 

We have all seen what our backup LBs lack of experience cause some struggles especially in Ga St. game. Do you think our D is as solid with Pappoe being out indefinitely if we do not have Wooten? 

He has amassed 52 total tackles which is 2nd on the team to Rabbit and 8th in the SEC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We are a team in the first year of a 3-4..... I really don't know what people that are complaining expected. Nobody even knew  our best d line players last year.

Also couldn't understand all the crying during the game. We were playing one of the top dual threat QB's in the league. You don't just bull rush mobile QB 's. That's what make them difficult. The reason LSU lost to us was because they tried to rush us like they did everyone else instead of focusing on containing Bo.

Clearly the d will go whichever way the d line goes and being that we didn't return any big time players from that unit and it's their first year......just can't understand the crying

And so far just like the wr unit, it seems they get better the more experience they get! So the youngest groups are getting better as they grow in experience......the crying and fire everybody stuff doesn't make sense. 

People cry about getting pressure on the QB as if all you have to do is push a button and they just can't understand why mason would choose not to get pressure lol. It's not a video game.

🏿

Respectfully scheme changes at Auburn normally end in disaster. 3-4 normally needs either dudes in the middle or dudes at linebacker. Preferably both. We have seen a glimpse of what it looks like without McClain and Owen. In the current recruiting class there aren’t any game changing linebackers or I could be wrong. From what I know about a 3-4 u need some very athletic linebackers who can cause havoc. Just my two cents for the sake of a discussion.

51 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

A little off topic here, but relates to the defense so I will say it here. Where would we be if Chandler Wooten didn't decide to return this year?

I will go ahead and say I have been highly critical of his play at times myself. I have seen him have horrible run fits, bad angles, and at times even what looked like questionable effort IMO, but he has also had some really bright moments. 

We have all seen what our backup LBs lack of experience cause some struggles especially in Ga St. game. Do you think our D is as solid with Pappoe being out indefinitely if we do not have Wooten? 

He has amassed 52 total tackles which is 2nd on the team to Rabbit and 8th in the SEC. 

To the backup LBs. It looks like #32 has skills but gets lost and out of position. To me it he seems he is playing too fast. For instance, last week, he made a perfect read on the guard who down blocked, he ran into the open gap perfectly, then over-ran the hand off to the RB. So instead of a 4 yard tackle for a loss the play gained @8 yards. 

I bet he's seen this on film and it will not happen again.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Respectfully scheme changes at Auburn normally end in disaster. 3-4 normally needs either dudes in the middle or dudes at linebacker. Preferably both. We have seen a glimpse of what it looks like without McClain and Owen. In the current recruiting class there aren’t any game changing linebackers or I could be wrong. From what I know about a 3-4 u need some very athletic linebackers who can cause havoc. Just my two cents for the sake of a discussion.

I think we have the LB on roster already for the future, that's a pretty deep group, but the learning curve is steep. #9 and #0 are just instinctual guys and would be good in any scheme.

I also think you'll see us use more hybrids in the next few years from our current roster 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, creed said:

To the backup LBs. It looks like #32 has skills but gets lost and out of position. To me it he seems he is playing too fast. For instance, last week, he made a perfect read on the guard who down blocked, he ran into the open gap perfectly, then over-ran the hand off to the RB. So instead of a 4 yard tackle for a loss the play gained @8 yards. 

I bet he's seen this on film and it will not happen again.

I look for Steiner to be the next beast LB at AU. He is as gifted as they come physically, just needs to learn the game and gain experience. 

I also like some of the other younger guys waiting in the wings. Tisdol, Riley, and Willis.

• Like 2
  • Love 1