Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, who on our team would start for them?  Maybe McCreary.  As much as I love Zakoby, their entire front 7 is probably better than anyone we have.

That have multiple guys that will go in the first 3 or 4 rounds and we have 1.

I don't think we have a player of the caliber of Nolan Smith, Jordan Davis, Anderson, Travon Walker across our front 4.

Nakobe Dean is a legit NFL LB.

I agree their starters on D is very very good, and we don't have many to compare with but I do think Leota and Wooden would play for them. Wooden would start I think. Leota in the rotation with very little drop off.

• Like 1

Going into the season I thought the D backfield would be one of the strengths of the team.  Instead they have been a weakness.  I realize you can’t cover forever and lack of a pass rush has a lot to do with weak pass defense but even when the pressure from the front line has been good the coverage has not been there.  To this point, I would certainly take Steele’s scheme over Mason’s.  Maybe there is a learning curve and it improves the second half of the season.  

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think when you look at the monster of a defense UGA has it's really just depth. It's not that their starters on defense are that much better than ours (some positions they are) but they can rotate more frequently without near as much of a drop off.

They definitely have some better pieces, but yes on the second group of guys is where the big difference is. 

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, who on our team would start for them?  Maybe McCreary.  As much as I love Zakoby, their entire front 7 is probably better than anyone we have.

That have multiple guys that will go in the first 3 or 4 rounds and we have 1.

I don't think we have a player of the caliber of Nolan Smith, Jordan Davis, Anderson, Travon Walker across our front 4.

Nakobe Dean is a legit NFL LB.

McClain would start right next to Dean. McCreary would definitely start. Honestly, Pritchett would probably start. Smoke would probably start. They have a lot of youth and inexperience in that secondary. It hasn't shown it's ugly head yet because their front 7 is so good nobody has been able to exploit them yet. That's my opinion of course.