Auburn defeats Arkansas 38-23

aubiefifty

Instant Analysis: Auburn defeats Arkansas 38-23 on the road.

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
3 minutes

Auburn remains in contention for the SEC West division title with Saturday’s 38-23 win against Arkansas. The Tigers are 5-3 and 2-1 in the SEC heading into a bye week. Ole Miss comes to Jordan-Hare on October 30 for another Western division game.

Bo Nix had a season-high 292 yards on 21-26 passing and threw for two touchdowns in front of over 75,000 rowdy fans in Fayetteville.

Nix led the Tigers down the field for a touchdown on the game’s first offensive possession for either team. Ja’Varrius Johnson caught a 39-yard pass from Nix, giving the Tigers a 7-0 lead.

Nix put the game away with a 23-yard run for a touchdown putting the Tigers ahead 38-23 with a little over two minutes left in the contest. Auburn upset the Razorbacks with a 15 point victory. However, the win wasn’t as easy as the final score reveals. Here are some observations of Auburn’s sixth consecutive win against Arkansas.

Quarterback matchup

KJ Jefferson is a great quarterback. Jefferson showed his skill with several big passes when he threw for 228 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 66 yards. Nix ran for 43 yards, including the game icing touchdown. Nix was marvelous except for an interception with Auburn up 14-3 late in the second quarter. He overthrew the receiver. As the first half ended, Arkansas took advantage of Jefferson leading the Razorbacks down the field for a score. Arkansas scored another touchdown on a Jefferson 30-yard pass to begin the second half to take a 17-14 lead. Jefferson threw both of his touchdowns to Treylon Burks.

Nix got into gear after Arkansas took the lead. He completed passes to 10 different Tiger receivers.

The running game is back for a day for Auburn.

Arkansas had 232 yards rushing versus 135 for Auburn. However, Tank Bigsby had 68 yards and a touchdown. Nix also ran for a touchdown. Auburn still needs work on the ground game. But they got enough yards to get the win against Arkansas.

Defense

Arkansas got across the 50 into Auburn territory the majority of the game. However, Auburn kept the Razorbacks out of the end zone consistently. Auburn got two critical stops on fourth down. It also helps when the offense scores following stops as the Tigers did against Arkansas.

Receivers were better

There was a lot of criticism for the wideouts in last week’s Georgia loss. They were much better against Arkansas. Robertson’s 71-yard catch was huge. Shedrick Jackson had five catches for 61 yards to lead all receivers.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Mr. Wilborn didnt even get our won/loss record correct. He must be a pro.

i am wondering how you pronounce his first name. i guess his tagging an extra loss was he was in a hurry to get his instant analysis out.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am wondering how you pronounce his first name. i guess his tagging an extra loss was he was in a hurry to get his instant analysis out.

No idea. Not one I've ever seen though lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

No idea. Not one I've ever seen though lol

It's Paul Marshall's alter ego (like Chris Gaines is to Garth Brooks). Paul goes all Hunter S. Thompson, breaks out that cigarette on the long stem, guzzles a fifth of Popov, and writes a secondary article with different incorrect facts. Get's him a supplemental paycheck. :P

Edited by AUx

Hopefully the narrative of Auburn not having enough talent will stop. The biggest upgrade needed is the oline which is obvious. They just don’t have the talent to overcome a lot of missed opportunities or mistakes.

1 minute ago, AUx said:

It's Paul Marshall's alter ego (like Chris Gaines is to Garth Brooks). Paul goes all Hunter S. Thompson, breaks out that cigarette on the long stem, guzzles a fifth of Popov, and writes a secondary article with different incorrect facts. 

i am impressed if you know hunter or about him. he loved his drugs. got his ass whipped by the hells angels. hated nixon. and when he died they shot his ashes out of a cannon. i am a pothead but i could not do 95 percent of the drugs he has done. i miss him.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Hopefully the narrative of Auburn not having enough talent will stop. The biggest upgrade needed is the oline which is obvious. They just don’t have the talent to overcome a lot of missed opportunities or mistakes.

You’re right.   AU has the talent everywhere except OL.  Inexperienced in some places, learning new schemes, etc.  but not a lack of talent.  The only other possible exception is that we don’t have one of those freak athletes playing at a really high level on the DL.   Our guys are good, but not elite.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i am impressed if you know hunter or about him. he loved his drugs. got his ass whipped by the hells angels. hated nixon. and when he died they shot his ashes out of a cannon. i am a pothead but i could not do 95 percent of the drugs he has done. i miss him.

I probably like Gary Trudeau's version of HST slightly better. Self destruction is not a great look. Vonnegut, Heller, Hemingway, Bradbury, Heinlein, Dick, Dave Barry, Ludlum, Koontz, ..... on and on. And then there's nonfiction. Too many good writers, not enough time.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I know I expected Auburn to lose. I  certainly glad I was wrong. BTW, who is # 77 for Auburn? I noticed he was playing OT. Did he replace Troxel?

Zierer

He’s a junior ( not a Fr)

;D

Edited by AUGoo

Just now, milehighfan said:

Isn't he a kid from Germany who has played very little football?

Duuuuuh.

That’s all I got.

23 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Isn't he a kid from Germany who has played very little football?

Yes, you are correct.