Coaching

tomcat

15 hours ago, tomcat said:

However, I’m seeing discernible improvement in this team from week to week. To a degree I cannot recall in many years of Auburn teams.

In 2013 we saw this type of improvement and it was one of the most exciting years we fans have ever had.  The potential was off the charts.  By 2015 that trend was reversed.

This coaching staff is not as flashy about it and seems to be rooted in the fundamentals, which typically takes longer, but somehow I have a better feeling for the future now than I did in 2014.

It’s very understandable that folks have mixed emotions and some are excited, and for some it’s wait-and-see.  Look at it from the perspective of the year thus far.  Absolutely no poster on this board predicted this: Coming out of the gate with dominating defense and huge-numbers rushing victories over admittedly weak teams, then go into Penn State with the entire country watching us, and play decent but watching a fairly mediocre quarterback just carve us up while our (at that time) high school offense stutters, then the atrocity that was the Georgia State game, watching that FB gash us for 200 yards (!!) followed by a somewhat ugly but long-awaited win against a discombobulated LSU in BR, followed by total lack of execution v Georgia, then a real complete victory yesterday. It’s a hard season to wrap your head around. In an era where more than ever, everybody keyboard warrior wants to be “right”, it’s clear that nobody is right.  Is it “coaching” when things like passing and dropping improve in seven days?   Who knows? The cynic in me says no, but I’m very admittedly ignorant.  Play-calling improving for sure and that’s coaching.   Play calling was good v UGA, good yesterday. But, regardless, things are looking up!  War Damn Eagle!  May we continue to improve. 

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

You are absolutely correct. There is some serious coaching that's occuring Sunday-Thursday

Exactly and this has been sorely missing in years gone by. You play on Saturday just the way you practice during the week. I think Harsin is making that understood. Along with the fact excuses don’t work. And you never quit . 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly and this has been sorely missing in years gone by. You play on Saturday just the way you practice during the week. I think Harsin is making that understood. Along with the fact excuses don’t work. And you never quit . 😊

And you EARN your PT. That's a huge difference.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And you EARN your PT. That's a huge difference.

Exactly. And he has shown me he is not afraid to take chances to improve things. He is not going to just wait till next week. He seems to be a fixer not and excuse make. Bird I know your experienced in the DB area ( really about everything FB wise) what’s going on with our back 7 ? I realize we are not getting the pressure up front but we seem to be playing with way to much cushion . Any ideas?

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I realize we are not getting the pressure up front but we seem to be playing with way to much cushion . Any ideas?

The only thing that will really help is time. They need reps at seeing the routes develop, why they're being run, and how to read the QB keys while in coverage. Familiarity is the only thing that will allow them to feel secure enough to cheat and jump routes and play more aggressively through their zones. They need to do a better job at riding their receiver through the zone and when to switch routes. If we switched to press man this week, we'd have potentially 3 all-american. That's because they know every tip and trick to playing it that way. It'll come

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

You cannot live off of man press. The cushioning isn’t the issue, it is the way the players react. I’ve seen both ole miss and Bama use the same principles and their DBs react differently. This does not mean we should never play man , but we need to be patient . This system works well with players who execute it. Richard Sherman and Josh Norman made millions of dollars playing great match up zone. Now with that being said we definitely need a little bit better push from our D-line. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1