Harsin Philosophy Beginning to take shape?

autiger88

Our guys are becoming better football players, too. Not just better at their roles in a very limited system, like with Malzahn. That's what true coaching is. Not just teaching someone how to do an oddly specific task. It's refining their entire game, mentally and athletically, so that they can actually go out and have the freedom to make plays, and win match-ups.

I hope that makes sense. Trying to explain the difference in pigeon-hole task improvement versus making someone better, top-to-bottom. Harsin is creating playmakers who can compete. Malzahn was training guys to do one task in an assembly line. 

• Like 7

The right boxes continue to be checked for Harsin. He took a new team into a very hostile environment at Penn St and our team played a very clean game against a top 10 team until the final whistle. Harsin’s GaSt was Saban’s La-Monroe without actually losing. He used it to get the team focused to go into a night game at Red Stick and find a way to win. He faced down the number 1 team in UGA and although outmatched in personnel kept it competitive until the fourth quarter. Then he goes to a ranked Arky team in the infamous 11am game and had our team prepared  to start fast and finish strong. Along the way he had the courage to send a message: whether you’re an AU legacy QB or a starting left tackle, the best player working the hardest will play. The man preaches focus and practices it. I look forward to watching him continue to build our program to a championship level. WDE 🦅 

• Like 4

I thought this game was the best picture we've seen this year for what we are pushing toward. 

I'm really excited to see how we handle Ole Miss. I believe it will set the tone for how we finish down the stretch. 

The team is prepared, execution is improving, we see them starting to close out games and they never quit. The Ga St game was a letdown from the PSU game but Harsin kept the team in the game and they learned a big lesson from that. One of the first things I took note of with Harsin was the way he dealt with losing all the players in the portal. He never complained or made excuses like some might. Instead he just went about the business of getting in some good replacements. That's what real leaders do. He seems to use that same kind of no nonsense, results oriented, approach in just about everything he does. We potentially have the makings of a very good SEC head coach.  

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 4

Recruit, recruit, recruit.   Need big time OL so bad.   I love everything else that us going on right now and hope the foundation is being laid for those big bodies in the trenches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

The team next year WILL beat Penn State

The big question again will be OL.

• Thanks 1

Everyone keeps on emphasizing recruiting, and they are not wrong.

What we are seeing unfold right now is  equally important- this staff is developing the talent.

This staff has a history of developing 3 stars into NFL talent. I can’t wait to see what they will do with a bunch of 4/5 stars that buy into the “Built for Life” philosophy.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

The big question again will be OL.

I think we hit the portal again this year along with getting recruits I don't think the OL will be bad next year but I don't have facts to back it up just a hunch but we shall see. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

IMO, the team yesterday beats Penn State and it's not close.

What about the offense you saw yesterday up against UGA?

9 hours ago, AUx said:

Marcello is CLEARLY saying that the Arkansas victory showed that Harsin has extracted the Platonic universal potential of the players to manifest the Aristotelian form of their skilled play. As Marcello indicates, there is no doubt that the whole NCAAF world is abuzz about how "Be the Ball" was a brilliant nod to the epistemological noumena of Kant and Schoppenhauer. In his voluminous treatise, Marcello goes on to show that the dissolution of the absolute sovereign, as Hobbes predicted, has produced a functional social contract from which to build the team. People are probably impressed by how Marcello interweaves the theme of Descartes and methodological skepticism illustred in Harsin's injection of the Copernican "Be 1 and 0" concept. I'm not sure I tracked Marcello's tangent on Mill and the whole utilitarian thing, but I believe I see where he is going with the Oedipal conflict theme

So, yes! Yes indeed, yesterday was clearly evidence of Harsin's schema, as Marcello so eloquently shows. We all now point to October 16 as our bodhi of Harsin's Mencius method. I just wish Marcello was more brief and plainspoken in his points.

Thanks for putting it in plain English. Didn’t know what Marcello was getting at.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Thanks for putting it in plain English. Didn’t know what Marcello was getting at.

IKR?! These sports writers gotta be so academic in their profound posts. IDK why they can't just keep it simple for us simple sports folk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I think we hit the portal again this year along with getting recruits I don't think the OL will be bad next year but I don't have facts to back it up just a hunch but we shall see. 

Auburn needs a "Now Hiring" sign in the transfer portal. If you want to play OL or WR I think anyone with talent wanting a second chance to maybe get to the league could suit up and compete. Bring me some B1G OL that aren't getting any PT and some undervalued WR who can catch the ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Still lose. If Auburn catches the ball and plays better fundamentally we probably score 20-24 points against Georgia but still lose. 

Only way we beat Georgia is forcing 3 + turnovers and playing nearly flawless on O. They're just too good and have so much depth.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, au302 said:

2. Harsin getting stability with possible administrative changes coming. 3. Getting the good ole boys on his side with some old school football (Bobo helps here imo).

@WarDamnEagleWDE Curious on your thoughts at this point in the season?

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The plays were there. If we executed the way we did yesterday we are in it at the end

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The plays were there. If we executed the way we did yesterday we are in it at the end

Many opportunities left on the field against UGA. I wouldn't predict a win. But if we see them in the SEC Championship game (optimistic, I know) and execute the way we did Saturday, I agree it will be close at the end. And then all the pressure is on UGA, so who knows what could happen. 

It's fun to even be able to consider such a thing, with UGA maybe having their most talented team ever. 

I'm excited about Auburn football again and I suspect it will only get better with a little time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm excited about Auburn football again and I suspect it will only get better with a little time.

THIS!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

That was my thought, too. uga definitely stressed our offense a lot more than arky did, but to me the biggest difference in the two games was just players making the plays. In hindsight it almost feels like uga was just too big a moment for this young team. The only thing that gives me pause about that is that the receivers were dropping balls before uga, too.

Which brings us to Marcello's point. I agree with @AUx that this wasn't a big turning point, philosophy taking hold game... however, the difference in how so many skill players performed was so significant... you just have to wonder if the staff delivered a new message, or the same message in a different way, this week. 

Whatever it is, the signs have been there all season. Even against GSU. Classic trap game and we fell into it. That won't ever happen again under Harsin. I'm sure of it. 

Sorry, rambling. I don't see this game as a turning point, but more of an affirmation. 

• Like 5

Harsin's stock is growing around the SEC week by week. I don't put much stock into things on the rant, but there are a handful of posters I like over there. Harsin hire has been mocked to death on that site since we made the hire by SEC fans. Now, a lot of those fans are changing their tune.

I have a feeling when this class is said and done, the fear will set in more. Not saying we finish with a top 10 or even top 15 class, but he is going to snag some difference makers and already getting program builders. 

Here are just a few examples.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.26.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.26.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.25.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.25.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.24.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-18 12.24.19 PM.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

In hindsight it almost feels like uga was just too big a moment for this young team. The only thing that gives me pause about that is that the receivers were dropping balls before uga, too.

That is probably the best description of the Georgia game that I have seen.  The only way to beat Georgia, was for them to play with as close to zero mistakes as possible, and this team was just not ready for that.  They responded to that loss as well as anyone can expect a team to, with a better team effort, on the road.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is probably the best description of the Georgia game that I have seen.  The only way to beat Georgia, was for them to play with as close to zero mistakes as possible, and this team was just not ready for that.  They responded to that loss as well as anyone can expect a team to, with a better team effort, on the road.

The Georgia game was perfect for this team when there's a rematch. It's going to be very hard to beat this team twice, especially if we're on a winning streak and headed to Atlanta.

• Like 2