Harsin Philosophy Beginning to take shape?

autiger88

Something I don’t think has been mentioned but even though the conversions didn’t pan out just step back and think about what that said to the team to continue to go for it on 4th and goal and all the other 4th down plays vs UGA. To me it shows that the coach believes in his team and he is there to win and not just settle. Granted would have been nice to take points but everyone in that stadium would agree you don’t beat Uga with FGs

• Like 4

Guest MustardSeed

Let’s just remember this thread if we lose 3 more games (which is possible). Growth typically comes in flashes. Look great one week, not so great another. We’ve seen that all year. I believe Harsin’s philosophy is beginning to take shape, however I also know how fickle we fans are and how quick “Harsin’s coaching the heck out of these guys” can turn into “Harsin is in over his head”. We see the signs. Let’s not let lofty goals cloud our future judgement simply because we beat Arkansas and expected more. It’s possible we win out and it possible we finish kind of rough. All are ok this year. Why?  Because we see the signs of real improvement shining through the cracks 🙂

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Let’s just remember this thread if we lose 3 more games (which is possible). Growth typically comes in flashes. Look great one week, not so great another. We’ve seen that all year. I believe Harsin’s philosophy is beginning to take shape, however I also know how fickle we fans are and how quick “Harsin’s coaching the heck out of these guys” can turn into “Harsin is in over his head”. We see the signs. Let’s not let lofty goals cloud our future judgement simply because we beat Arkansas and expected more. It’s possible we win out and it possible we finish kind of rough. All are ok this year. Why?  Because we see the signs of real improvement shining through the cracks 🙂

This^^^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. No matter what happens the rest of the year I'm behind Harsin. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, AUx said:

Marcello is CLEARLY saying that the Arkansas victory showed that Harsin has extracted the Platonic universal potential of the players to manifest the Aristotelian form of their skilled play. As Marcello indicates, there is no doubt that the whole NCAAF world is abuzz about how "Be the Ball" was a brilliant nod to the epistemological noumena of Kant and Schoppenhauer. In his voluminous treatise, Marcello goes on to show that the dissolution of the absolute sovereign, as Hobbes predicted, has produced a functional social contract from which to build the team. People are probably impressed by how Marcello interweaves the theme of Descartes and methodological skepticism illustred in Harsin's injection of the Copernican "Be 1 and 0" concept. I'm not sure I tracked Marcello's tangent on Mill and the whole utilitarian thing, but I believe I see where he is going with the Oedipal conflict theme

So, yes! Yes indeed, yesterday was clearly evidence of Harsin's schema, as Marcello so eloquently shows. We all now point to October 16 as our bodhi of Harsin's Mencius method. I just wish Marcello was more brief and plainspoken in his points.

Deliverance Hillbilly | Meme Generator

"Boy, you sho gotta purty mouth....." :lol:

Edited by DKW 86
  • Sad 1

On 10/17/2021 at 2:27 PM, JGLEATON said:

I like the direction and obvious improvement every day, and adjustments coaches are making...

One thing that I think is HUGE, that will be different... and may start seeing as soon as after this by week... is being more prepared after a layoff... and also ready to play a team that has an extra week to prepare against us too...

How many times with the last regime were we completely unprepared and not ready to play and uninspired in a bowl game,  even as the other team was prepared and had obviously studied what we do and schemed against us...

we just did the same thing and expected it to somehow work against a good team that had prepared and schemed for what we would obviously do...

I think all that ends with Harsin.

we may or may not win... but we will be prepared and ready to play 4 quarters, and if we have an extra week... or a month to prepare for a bowl, i think these coaches will have the team ready with a good plan to execute and adjustments relative to the team we have to play.

I just threw up remembering what it was like under CGM

• Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

If our team’s offensive football IQ was underdeveloped for nearly a decade, it stands to reason our fans’ football IQ is stunted as well.  We’ve been relying on the natural raw talent of a few posters, but it’s been quite inconsistent and many have regressed.  I’m looking forward to us all growing in understanding of this game as Harsin’s process shapes us into the intelligent critics we’re meant to be.

Leave it to the devil to try and define intelligence 😂

(just kidding of course 😜)

On 10/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, AUDevil said:

Thanks for putting it in plain English. Didn’t know what Marcello was getting at.

Marcello is a tool and always has been.  

It's a fun way for him to rationalize his alma mater losing to Auburn, again.  

• Like 1

I'm pleased with the improvement we have made the past two weeks.  A big part of that has been better play calling and game planning.  Harsin seems to have really pushed Bobo to mesh some of what he has done before with some things that the team is already familiar with.

The next few weeks will decide whether or not the Arkansas game was some water shed moment.  We don't have to win every game, but we do have to win more than we lose and be in the games we lose in a real way.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, Beaker said:

Marcello is a tool and always has been.  

It's a fun way for him to rationalize his alma mater losing to Auburn, again.  

He is the epitome of soy

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'm pleased with the improvement we have made the past two weeks.  A big part of that has been better play calling and game planning.  Harsin seems to have really pushed Bobo to mesh some of what he has done before with some things that the team is already familiar with.

The next few weeks will decide whether or not the Arkansas game was some water shed moment.  We don't have to win every game, but we do have to win more than we lose and be in the games we lose in a real way.

Ole Miss will be a good preview of what Alabama might look like. If Mason can dial up schemes to container Corral and limit scoring then Auburn should have some success. 

I really want our running backs to go off against Ole Miss. They need a big game. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, WFE12 said:

Shoot they beat UGA too imo

I wish we could have seen how that game would have transpired without the drops and  other aspects that we cleaned up last week.  The play calling was far better v UGA than previous.  It would have to have been a super competitive game.  We trounce PSU, big time, with this improved play and playcalling.  Psyched for Ole Miss.  should be a really good test and I like our chances.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, MustardSeed said:

When it’s literally ANY OTHER team, it’s “well you have to give the new coaches a year OR TWO…..”.  When it’s your team……..

(I’m 150% guilty of this)

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, AUDevil said:

If our team’s offensive football IQ was underdeveloped for nearly a decade, it stands to reason our fans’ football IQ is stunted as well.  We’ve been relying on the natural raw talent of a few posters, but it’s been quite inconsistent and many have regressed.  I’m looking forward to us all growing in understanding of this game as Harsin’s process shapes us into the intelligent critics we’re meant to be.

I can assure you that my football IQ has not regressed over the past 10 years.  In fact, it is developed enough that I realize the offensive system that Harsin has employed as a HC in the past more closely resembles what Auburn has been running over the past 10 years than what Bobo has traditionally coached.  They have been attempting to incorporate what Harsin and Bobo have done in the past into what we are now attempting.

39 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I can assure you that my football IQ has not regressed over the past 10 years.  In fact, it is developed enough that I realize the offensive system that Harsin has employed as a HC in the past more closely resembles what Auburn has been running over the past 10 years than what Bobo has traditionally coached.  They have been attempting to incorporate what Harsin and Bobo have done in the past into what we are now attempting.

My comment was more of a joke, but your comment deserves a thread of its own.  Would be interesting to dissect.

19 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

My comment was more of a joke, but your comment deserves a thread of its own.  Would be interesting to dissect.

Sorry if I came across as a smart ass, it wasn't my intent.  It is interesting to see the evolution of the offense over the year.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

There's no way what Harsin runs resembles what Auburn has been running over the last 10 with Gus. The passing schemes and routes look nothing like what we saw Gus scheme in the passing game. The use of 11, 12 and even 13 sets, I think Harsin has used the 12 over 60% of the time. His passing tree concepts are far beyond Gus'.

And in the running game, yes, Harsin and Gus both run inside zone plays but most college teams do that too, anyway. But Harsin also runs the outside zone play which Gus never did. The RBs also are much more involved in the passing game under Harsin.

The only thing that I recall that Bobo liked more is the QB under center and the play action passing scheme. 

If I read your reference wrong I am sorry, but I just don't see Harsin's offense to be overall anything like Gus'.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

There's no way what Harsin runs resembles what Auburn has been running over the last 10 with Gus. The passing schemes and routes look nothing like what we saw Gus scheme in the passing game. The use of 11, 12 and even 13 sets, I think Harsin has used the 12 over 60% of the time. His passing tree concepts are far beyond Gus'.

And in the running game, yes, Harsin and Gus both run inside zone plays but most college teams do that too, anyway. But Harsin also runs the outside zone play which Gus never did. The RBs also are much more involved in the passing game under Harsin.

The only thing that I recall that Bobo liked more is the QB under center and the play action passing scheme. 

If I read your reference wrong I am sorry, but I just don't see Harsin's offense to be overall anything like Gus'.

Also to add using the damn TEs 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

My point wasn't that what we are doing now is just like what we were doing.  It clearly isn't.  My point was that what Harsin did at Boise and before that at Arkansas State  was much more similar to what Gus was doing at Auburn than what Bobo/Harsin is now doing at Auburn or what Bobo did prior to getting here.  When Harsin was OC at Boise under Chris Peterson, he and Peterson spent a week in Tulsa with Malzahn learning how to install that inside zone run game that has become fairly standard in college football.

Some people don't realize this, but Eli Drinkwitz, currently Mizzou's HC, coached at Springdale High School in Arkansas, then worked as a graduate assistant under Gus at Auburn, followed Gus from Auburn to Arkansas State where he coached RBs.  Harsin took the Arkansas State job when Gus came to AU in 2012/2013 and based on Drinkwitz's knowledge of the offense, Harsin made him OC.  Harsin hired Drinkwitz again when he took the Boise HC job to be is OC/QB coach.  There is a lot more overlap than what people realize.  That is my only point.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, AUDevil said:

On 10/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, MustardSeed said:

Leave it to the devil to try and define intelligence 😂

(just kidding of course 😜)

Well you do know he is a man of wealth and taste, right?

Guest MustardSeed
13 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well you do know he is a man of wealth and taste, right?

Pleased to meet you…I guessed the name 😉 (however I’m not puzzled by the nature of his game 😎)