1,000 yard rusher...

Tigerpro2a

We had a nice streak of 1k yard rushers for a while, and now have failed to have one for the last 3 years. We are a little over half way through the season. With our remaining schedule, what do you think the odds of us having a thousand yard guy this year?

Tank is sitting at 526 yards.

HE is averaging 75.14 yards per game.  If he keeps that average he will hit 901 yards for the bowl game or SECCG (weird we still control our way there).

In order to hit 1000 by end of regular season, Tank will need to average 94.8 yards over the next 5 games. 

On the other hand Jarquez Hunter is sitting at 492 yards through 7 games averaging 70.3 yards per game.

IF he keeps his average he will hit 842 at end of regular season. 

JH would need to average 101.6 yards per game to hit 1k mark by the end of regular season. 

Below are our remaining opponents average rush yards allowed per game and where they rank:

Ole Miss 215.2 ranked 112th

Texas AM 138.4 ranked 49th

MSU 107 ranked 19th

USCe 172.2 ranked 84th

Alabama 97.8 ranked 13th

If we can really grind it out against Ole Miss, aTm, and S.Carolina I think we have a really good chance of having at least one thousand yard rusher this season. 

In all reality, it isn't out of possibility that we could end up with 2 thousand yard rushers by the end of the bowl game, especially if we managed to win the west and get another shot at UGA. Do I think any of this happens, I wouldn't bet on it.

The way our OL has struggled to get push in the run game and we have relied more on Bo's legs and the passing game, I say we have a good shot for Tank to hit thousand by end of bowl game. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I would say the odds are not looking good.  Hopefully, they both can get healthy and continue being effective.

If Bo continues to play the way he has, I think our run game will open up a bit. Bo is finally showing that if you force him he can beat you. I just hope he remains consistent as do the WRS.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If Bo continues to play the way he has, I think our run game will open up a bit. Bo is finally showing that if you force him he can beat you. I just hope he remains consistent as do the WRS.

You're right.  Upgraded passing game should open things up for Bigs and Hunter.

• Like 1

Our run blocking can be pretty much summarized as bad, if you ask me. 
The OM game should pretty much answer that question for you. They’re not doing much against Bama and probably not vs A&M. I imagine Tank will need to flirt with 150 to account for that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather have two 800 yard rushers

Of course, I was just point out the fact that we have a staff that is competent and splitting the load up very nicely to not wear either of our backs down and we still have a punchers chance of not only having one 1k yard rusher but a slim chance of 2. 

I think we will rush the ball well against Ole Miss.  I look for both guys to beat their average.

Texas AM is hard to guage. On paper they aren't lighting it up in rushing defense, but I don't think it will be easy sledding by any stretch.

Bama is Bama. Hard to think we get over 100 between the two.

MSST has a good rush defense on paper as well, but I think we move the ball well on them. 

We should be able to run on USCe as well.

Our OL is not good in run game, but I expect the staff to get more creative with play calling and I expect the going to get a little easier with the passing game opening up the run more.

• Like 1

I'm ok with this streak staying dead if it means we have several effective backs getting reps. There was nothing worse than Gus running one guy into the ground and then having no option available at the end of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed

Seems to me the recent lack of a 1000 yard rusher can be attributed to less than stellar O-Line recruiting and coaching.  Hopefully that’s improving

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think what is finally showing is that if the pass catchers do actually catch passes instead of dropping them, the whole offense works better.

I hope we can get RB1 to 1,000 yards in his contract year. I want to get these guys drafted highly and get a pipeline of stud RBs reestablished, and that benchmark seems helpful. (Or maybe it's not.) Fortunately that's not a concern for RB1 and RB2 this year and we don't have to worry about their stats. We just need to keep feeding them and keep getting better. 

I sure hope Worm can find a way back into a meaningful role in this offense. 

• Like 1

If Bo and and the WR’s keep it up. Then teams will finally slow down on stacking the box against us. And if that happens somebody could get to 1000. Everything falls on the passing game and getting more creative in the rushing game 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

If Bo and and the WR’s keep it up. Then teams will finally slow down on stacking the box against us. And if that happens somebody could get to 1000. Everything falls on the passing game and getting more creative in the rushing game 

Thank you. I get that in a perfect world, the run sets up the pass. That's not what this team is right now. We didn't win Saturday because we ran the ball well. We'll need to be able to run the ball to beat the best teams on our schedule, but it's going to have to be the pass that loosens defenses up and creates some lanes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I hope we can get RB1 to 1,000 yards in his contract year. I want to get these guys drafted highly and get a pipeline of stud RBs reestablished, and that benchmark seems helpful. (Or maybe it's not.) Fortunately that's not a concern for RB1 and RB2 this year and we don't have to worry about their stats. We just need to keep feeding them and keep getting better. 

I sure hope Worm can find a way back into a meaningful role in this offense. 

He has a package of plays but the game flow has to lead to it or allow to give it a shot.  Plus it is taboo to say but we have seen that many guys are not the same after being out on medical leave for an extended time.  It takes a bit to get back to normal.  He will get his opportunities, it is a great change of pace situation for the offense.  

also the nfl does like those guys without too much wear and tear in the college years and talented.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you. I get that in a perfect world, the run sets up the pass. That's not what this team is right now. We didn't win Saturday because we ran the ball well. We'll need to be able to run the ball to beat the best teams on our schedule, but it's going to have to be the pass that loosens defenses up and creates some lanes. 

Look at the lane on Bo’s TD run. He had all kinds of space and only had the safety to beat. Tank and Hunter can get that kind of room too with an effective pass game. If Bo’s deep ball is finally starting to work now like it did Saturday then our RB’s will start eating 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think what is finally showing is that if the pass catchers do actually catch passes instead of dropping them, the whole offense works better.

WRs have stepped up this week, but Bo hasn't shown the ability to put a game on his back and win it yet until this last couple games either. They aren't mutually exclusive.

38 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Look at the lane on Bo’s TD run. He had all kinds of space and only had the safety to beat.

Speaking of this, anybody notice the effort, or lack there of, of said safety (#15) on that play? I was thrilled that we scored but the effort he made to tackle Nix was slightly less than heroic, lol

16 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

WRs have stepped up this week, but Bo hasn't shown the ability to put a game on his back and win it yet until this last couple games either. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I can think of several games over the past three years. Oregon and the '19 Iron Bowl for starters.

About those drops: No team, offense, or QB is going to look good with six drops per game. No QB can put the team on his back with the pass catchers dropping catchable passes. We had two more drops against Arky, which is an improvement but still not great.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

About those drops: No team, offense, or QB is going to look good with six drops per game. No QB can put the team on his back with the pass catchers dropping catchable passes. We had two more drops against Arky, which is an improvement but still not great.

Bo's play has been sporadic at best over his first 2.5 seasons.  Bo didn't play at a level to make teams have to respect his arm until really this past week. He made strides in LSU and UGA game, but this game is the first one where he put film on to really make DCs have to respect him and not fully load the box on him. 

WRs dropping passes do not make up for or change Bo's own mistakes. Again, the two things are not mutually exclusive. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bo's play has been sporadic at best over his first 2.5 seasons.  Bo didn't play at a level to make teams have to respect his arm until really this past week. He made strides in LSU and UGA game, but this game is the first one where he put film on to really make DCs have to respect him and not fully load the box on him. 

WRs dropping passes do not make up for or change Bo's own mistakes. Again, the two things are not mutually exclusive. 

There's a certain through line in the conversations of years past about our head coach and the current conversation about QB1. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

They are mutually exclusive to a large extent. Had WR's caught the passes they should catch, the QB wouldn't have to force other plays from behind the chains.

You are talking about the QB who first set the AU record for consecutive passes without an interception, then beat his own record. His mistakes haven't been all that frequent.

Besides which, all the talk here was about the horrible QB coaching Nix was getting the two previous years. Now he's got what is allegedly adequate coaching. Maybe that's got something to do with it? Or perhaps getting enough college experience under his belt is the difference.