Transfers this Year

AUght2win

I also think it's interesting that our 2 highest rated recruits, Brooks and Hunter, didn't see any playing time and are now definitely redshirting.

I guess the transfers have played so well, and stayed healthy that Harsin has the luxury of RSing them.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

When the best available OT was Prince Sammons, that tells you why.

It's pretty clear we could have taken a G or C.  And from a class distribution stand point, we didn't need grad transfers.  Michael Harris types or Leota's were definitely needed and I think we'll see some like that taken this upcoming year.  We've got to fill out pretty much everything from Soph to Srs b/c of someone we will not name.

Tackles are the hardest to get, but it seems most schools have done pretty well taking some inside guys from G5 of FCS schools.  Hopefully we can get on or two.  Something like Zierer/Transfer/Transfer/Jones/Coffey. Then another transfer or two that are Jrs would be idea

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Coffey (Super JR), Hamm (Super Redshirt JR), Jackson (Super Redshirt JR), Manning (Super Redshirt JR)

Added all their correct classes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Zierer/Transfer/Transfer/Jones/Coffey

Don't sleep on Jernigan or Johnson. I think both will be players

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's pretty clear we could have taken a G or C.  And from a class distribution stand point, we didn't need grad transfers.  Michael Harris types or Leota's were definitely needed and I think we'll see some like that taken this upcoming year.  We've got to fill out pretty much everything from Soph to Srs b/c of someone we will not name.

Tackles are the hardest to get, but it seems most schools have done pretty well taking some inside guys from G5 of FCS schools.  Hopefully we can get on or two.  Something like Zierer/Transfer/Transfer/Jones/Coffey. Then another transfer or two that are Jrs would be idea

I recall that we tried hard to get that kid from Harvard for interior OL. Didn't he end up at Penn State?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm still shocked we didn't take any last year.

Didn't find any besides Eric Wilson with the talent & fit the staff wanted.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

Miss you being around as much. Hope things are going well with you. War Eagle, my friend.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I also think it's interesting that our 2 highest rated recruits, Brooks and Hunter, didn't see any playing time and are now definitely redshirting.

Brooks was always pegged for the freshmen get yo ass ready for the SEC S&C program. Was never going to play year 1. Hunter may still play if we have a rash of DL injuries.

5 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I recall that we tried hard to get that kid from Harvard for interior OL. Didn't he end up at Penn State?

Yep. Eric Wilson was the only transfer OL we would have taken. Had him committed at 1 point. Now starting for Penn St.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Yeah, that's the only one we made a real run at.  We were never really connected to any other OL in the transfer portal.  And he was a hold over from Gus

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Didn't find any besides Eric Wilson with the talent & fit the staff wanted.

100% don't believe that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They seem to have size, but both young and burried on the DC behind guys who really aren't that good.  Next year starting seems early.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, that's the only one we made a real run at.  We were never really connected to any other OL in the transfer portal.  And he was a hold over from Gus

This isn't true. They showed interest in Cain Madden, the All-American Super-Senior from Marshall. He ultimately transferred to Notre Dame.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

This isn't true. They showed interest in Cain Madden, the All-American Super-Senior from Marshall. He ultimately transferred to Notre Dame.

"Interest" seems very subjective.  If there were others, the door was shut on us really quick.  There wasn't a single OL interested in us then.

Hopefully that changes this year, baring a disaster I think it will.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

"Interest" seems very subjective.  If there were others, the door was shut on us really quick.  There wasn't a single OL interested in us then.

Hopefully that changes this year, baring a disaster I think it will.

Yes, the door was shut on us pretty quick because a kid with 1 year of eligibility and options from top programs isn't likely to commit to a first year staff with zero track-record.

It works with a guy like Tony Fair where we just so happened to be his best offer.

In the case of Cain Madden, FSU thought they had him until Notre Dame swooped in. For a kid in his position, it's hard to turn down Notre Dame which has a staff who has years of finishing in the Top 5-10 and has sent numerous OL to the NFL. It's a plug and play scenario with little guess-work.

Auburn will become a more enticing transfer option now that Harsin and his staff have shown competence (obviously that is working under the assumption that the team continues to look good the rest of the way).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I have thought Jernigan is our future C since we signed him. I like Johnson at C or G too. He has a mean streak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I think you nailed it. I still hope they convince Trox to come back (if he has a year, still confused about that) to compete with Coffey for RT. I actually think with Z's emergence they should consider moving Trox to RT and Hamm to LG after the bye for Ole miss, but that's another discussion. Then, you find another LT in the portal. Biggest question imo is actually center. Irvin hasn't shown anything, and Bobo will probably need a year. Think you're correct that we'll need one from the portal, unless Tate Johnson or Jernigan is capable

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, metafour said:

Yes, the door was shut on us pretty quick

Yeah, so what I stated was fact & also said I think that changes.  Your post is essentially a longer version of exactly what I said

Edited by W.E.D

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think you nailed it. I still hope they convince Trox to come back (if he has a year, still confused about that) to compete with Coffey for RT. I actually think with Z's emergence they should consider moving Trox to RT and Hamm to LG after the bye for Ole miss, but that's another discussion. Then, you find another LT in the portal. Biggest question imo is actually center. Irvin hasn't shown anything, and Bobo will probably need a year. Think you're correct that we'll need one from the portal, unless Tate Johnson or Jernigan is capable

Yeah, we just need some good grown adult bodies and compete.  I think we'll have 11 on scholly at the end of this year before additions?  So if Coffey comes back as the long covid senior, that's 12.  We could take 10 and then be OK on numbers.  I doubt we can get 10 OL in one class, but we really just need to take as many as possible.

I think all the current Srs are pretty much maxed out.  I'm not sure I see a great benefit in most coming back and from various boards that seems to be the sentiment save Coffey.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, so what I stated was fact & also said I think that changes.  Your post is essentially a longer version of exactly what I said

You said that we "didn't make a run at" any other transfer OL. We clearly did, the problem is that we were easily out-pitched by a program with less question marks.

You can't put a gun to anyone's head and force them to transfer here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

You said that we "didn't make a run at" any other transfer OL. We clearly did, the problem is that we were easily out-pitched by a program with less question marks.

You can't put a gun to anyone's head and force them to transfer here.

I get the last part.  But I don't believe we were even able to make a run at anyone outside a Gus holdover.  We weren't even 2nd for anyone

For next year, I'd love to have some of the current Senior starters return, but I doubt they will. Trox has dealt with so many injuries. He seems like a guy who will either make the next level after a healthy year or not. I don't see him coming back. Same deal with Council. I can't see him signing up for another year with a potential for injury. Hamm and Manning are class of 2016 signees. They both had cancer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't expect either guy back. Brahms has a career ready to go, and I'm not sure what more he could do to put film together. Like Trox, seems like it's either going to work or not.

Maybe Alec Jackson comes back to try and win the LG spot full time. I'm hoping Zierer and Coffey both return. I like both guys. If those three all came back, that would be a huge win for the OL next year. That could give you four returners with at least one start under his belt (including Keiondre Jones).

3 hours ago, metafour said:

Nice catch. Forgot about hm.

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I still hope they convince Trox to come back (if he has a year, still confused about that)

He's either a Super RS JR or if he got a medical waiver for his injury in 2019 essentially a Super RS Soph.