Auburn B-ball Scrimmage for Fans

toddc

Auburn schedules basketball scrimmage for fans

ByMARK MURPHY 5 hours ago

Fast Break: Auburn basketball set for Tipoff at Toomer's

bbgallery-smith.jpg

AUBURN, Alabama–Coach Bruce Pearl’s 2021-22 Auburn basketball team will have a scrimmage for fans on Friday, October 29th at Auburn Arena following a volleyball match with the Tigers playing host to LSU.

The volleyball match is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. CDT and there is no admission charge for either event. Gates at Auburn Arena will open at 5 p.m. with open seating at the event.

Pearl’s Tigers are ranked 22nd nationally in the AP Top preseason poll announced this week. The team is picked fifth in the SEC, according to a media poll announced on Tuesday.

The Orange-Blue scrimmage will feature two 20-minute halves, team introductions and a dunk contest that was cancelled during the Tipoff at Toomer’s event because there was too much moisture on the outdoor court to make it safe for the players to jump.

Auburn officials said that fans may enter Auburn Arena through the scholarship entrance, north main entrance or student Entrance. Parking will be available in the Auburn Arena lot, campus safety lot, the stadium parking deck and Athletics Complex parking decks.

Pearl’s eighth Auburn team will open its season with a Nov 9th home game vs. Morehead State. The Tigers will play an exhibition game at Auburn Arena on Nov. 5th vs. Southern Indiana, the program that gave Pearl his first job as a college head coach.

After ending the covid-stopped 2019-20 season with a 25-6 record the Tigers slumped to 13-14 last season after two of the team’s three point guards missed a major part of season and the other transferred out at the Christmas break.

A trio of transfer guards (K.D. Johnson from Georgia, Zep Jasper from College of Charleston, Wendell Green from Eastern Kentucky) have been impressive in preseason practice as has 7-1 center Walker Kessler, who transferred from the University of North Carolina. Five-star freshman Jabari Smith, a 6-10 forward, is expected to be a key performer for the Tigers.

After losing guard Sharife Cooper and forward JT Thor to the 2021 NBA Draft the Tigers will be counting on the new guys for scoring punch and rebounding. At least for the first part of the season the Tigers will be without junior Allen Flanigan, a 6-6 guard/forward, who is the team’s leading scorer among the returnees. He suffered a partially Achilles tear. Auburn hopes he will be back on the court in mid-December in time for the SEC schedule.

3COMMENTS

The Tigers will have just two other returnees, 6-8 junior forward Jaylin Williams and 6-6  junior guard Devan Cambridge, with significant starting experience a Auburn. Williams started all 27 games last season and Cambridge started 19.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Setting up for a big weekend...another opportunity for Coach Pearl to magnify the program...wish it would be streamed...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Give us your take-aways when the game is complete.  Thanks for helping those of us overseas.

Attendance wasn't really that great but the Braves are currently on tv... anyways, Jabari is a stud and Kessler seems to be at 100 percent.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Give us your take-aways when the game is complete.  Thanks for helping those of us overseas.

They played a half w refs.  It was somewhat disjointed play.  I’m guessing between 20-25 guys played.  
our guards are very quick.  Everyone on the team was shooting 3’s.  To me, jabari and Kessler stood out then it was our guard play - not necessarily pristine play but super active.  Even the walk ons were active on both ends.  After the first half they played best on best situationally and we had to leave so I’m not sure how that went.

overall I’m even more  excited about the possibilities with this team.  Enjoy jabari this year cuz he won’t be here next.  A few of his 8-10 foot shots were nba space making moves.  I’ve not seen an Auburn big make these moves.

• Thanks 1

Based on the recaps, seems like one takeaway is that Wendell Green will be a huge factor on offense. (Also maybe a huge factor on defense, in the opposite direction…)

Stats via Christian Clemente:

Wendell Green 13 points, 4/8 FG, 2/4 3FG, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 TOs

Mike Whitmore: 12 points, 4/5 3FG

Zep Jasper: 7 points, 3/6 FG, 1/2 3FG

KD Johnson: 0 points, 0/2 FG, 1 rebound

Devan Cambridge: 0 points, 0/1 3FG, 1 block

Chris Moore: 2 points, 1/1 FG, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 TO, 1 foul

Jabari Smith: 9 points, 3/4 FG, 6 rebounds, 2 assists

Jaylin Williams: 3 points, 1/2 FG, 3 rebounds, 1 block, 1 TO

Walker Kessler: 8 points, 2/3 FG, 1/2 3FG, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal

Dylan Cardwell: 5 points, 2/3 FG, 6 rebounds

Stretch Akingbola: 3 points, 1/1 FG, 2 rebounds

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Based on the recaps, seems like one takeaway is that Wendell Green will be a huge factor on offense. (Also maybe a huge factor on defense, in the opposite direction…)

Stats via Christian Clemente:

Wendell Green 13 points, 4/8 FG, 2/4 3FG, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 TOs

Mike Whitmore: 12 points, 4/5 3FG

Zep Jasper: 7 points, 3/6 FG, 1/2 3FG

KD Johnson: 0 points, 0/2 FG, 1 rebound

Devan Cambridge: 0 points, 0/1 3FG, 1 block

Chris Moore: 2 points, 1/1 FG, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 TO, 1 foul

Jabari Smith: 9 points, 3/4 FG, 6 rebounds, 2 assists

Jaylin Williams: 3 points, 1/2 FG, 3 rebounds, 1 block, 1 TO

Walker Kessler: 8 points, 2/3 FG, 1/2 3FG, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal

Dylan Cardwell: 5 points, 2/3 FG, 6 rebounds

Stretch Akingbola: 3 points, 1/1 FG, 2 rebounds

I have a feeling we will see Wendell on offense, running the show, but late in the game when we need D it will be Zep.

If Zep can be productive in the offense as much as Wendell, then he will be the main PG I feel, but Wendell brings the energy, and may be better on dribble driving...

I was a little surprised from the stats that KD didn't do much, but I'm not sure how many minutes he got...

It looks like most of the scoring is going to come from the front court guys, and supplemented by the guards...

I was telling my friend he was a walk-on and she was shocked. Dude’s shorter than her, and he might’ve been the most impressive player on the court offensively. His off balance shot making was insane 

Clearly a “I gotta get mine” problem with that unit, but they made the starters job difficult, and that’s primarily what they’re there for, right? But man…Whitmore needs to go somewhere and be the man. The magnitude of minutes I feel like he could get elsewhere won’t come on this high a level, but that’s a BMOC waiting to be born at a UAB or Georgia State

I feel like there’s gonna be a ton of facilitating by committee going on, ala the Sixers this season. I feel like Kessler and Smith are high IQ guys, esp with running sets, and I don’t know how to feel about Green as primarily facilitator early on. He probably should improve as he better figures out his spots to score. 
The two bigs definitely have their spots figured out. Even if they don’t always score, they get to where they wanna be. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like there’s gonna be a ton of facilitating by committee going on, ala the Sixers this season. I feel like Kessler and Smith are high IQ guys, esp with running sets, and I don’t know how to feel about Green as primarily facilitator early on. He probably should improve as he better figures out his spots to score. 
The two bigs definitely have their spots figured out. Even if they don’t always score, they get to where they wanna be. 

Promise me you won't F this up and actually go to some got damn games this season!!!! This team is going to be so freaking fun to watch.

• Haha 2