Tuberville defends Harsin

aubiefifty

Tuberville defends Auburn’s Bryan Harsin for not disclosing vaccination status: ‘Mandates to me are unconstitutional’

By Greg Garrison | ggarrison@al.com

4-5 minutes

Auburn coach Bryan Harsin against Arkansas during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021, in Fayetteville, Ark. (AP Photo/Michael Woods)AP

U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, himself a former Auburn University head football coach, today defended current Auburn Coach Bryan Harsin, who has taken heat for not revealing if had been vaccinated for COVID-19.

“He’s like everybody else,” Tuberville responded to an AL.com question today about Harsin’s vaccination status. “You should have the right to make your own decision. It’s a free country. These mandates to me are unconstitutional.”

Read more: Bryan Harsin declines to address vaccination status in light of university mandate

Amid low vaccination rates, Bryan Harsin emphasizing it’s a personal decision

Tuberville addresses vaccine mandates, Jan. 6 riots

Tuberville, who was the head football coach at Auburn University from 1999 through 2008, has been vaccinated and has publicly encouraged vaccination in consultation with a physician.

“I’m not going to get into the argument of whether he should or shouldn’t,” Tuberville said of Harsin. “I think he should just do the right thing, talk to the doctors, and I’m sure he’s done that.”

However, Tuberville acknowledged that Harsin does have particular responsibility as a head football coach at a public university. Auburn has federal contracts and falls under the federal vaccine mandate imposed by President Joe Biden.

“He’s a leader of the football team at Auburn,” Tuberville said. “I’m sure that he’ll make the right decision. I’m not going to tell him to, or not to (get vaccinated). He’s got some very good doctors there that work with the football program. He’s got people around him, all across Auburn, that help them with all their needs in terms of medical. So, I’m sure he’s going to make the right decision. I think at the end of the day we’ve just got to leave it up to him. I’d hate to see anything happen to any coach.”

Earlier this month, Washington State University fired Coach Nick Rolovich and four of his assistants for failing to meet a vaccine mandate. Rolovich, who was making $3.1 million a year, had applied for a religious exemption from the mandate but was refused.

“I understand that last week we lost a coach at Washington State because he was mandated to take it and they fired him because of it and he wouldn’t do it,” Tuberville said. “I think it was honorable that he stood up to his beliefs and I think that’s what anybody should do.”

Tuberville said he would defend Harsin whatever his personal decision on vaccination.

“If he took it, I’d come to his defense and if he didn’t take it, I’d come to his defense,” Tuberville said. “To me, it’s your personal decision. You’ve got to weigh the options, whether it’s the best thing for you, physically. This is not something that’s going to affect anyone else. It’s going to affect him personally, whether he takes it or not. I don’t think anybody else should go off what he believes or doesn’t believe, or whether he takes it or doesn’t take it. It’s an individual decision. He’s got plenty of medical advice around him and I’m sure he’ll make that right decision.”

During his weekly press briefing on Wednesday, Tuberville emphasized the effects of the mandate on the military and employees of military contractors, especially in light of Alabama’s extensive federal contracts.

Tuberville said he sent a letter to Biden on Tuesday asking him to reverse the mandate.

“This mandate takes the decision away from doctors and patients and forces employees to choose between continuing their work to support our military or taking a vaccine they do not want for whatever reason,” Tuberville said on his weekly press call Wednesday. “Mandates are not the answer. Frank conversations between doctors and patients are.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i will not be discussing this again but i just think fans should know all the news. i have my opinions but i am argued out. mods you might want to lock this so not more fights but folks get to keep up with the latest news?

He’s right , as in correct, before someone comes at me. 😝 

Edited by toddc

On 11/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Tubbs just needs to shut up. He has no credibility left, and he is an embarrassment. 

Why should he shut up? I didn't see anything in that article that was embarrassing? Consult with your doctor before making a health decision.. That seems like pretty sound advice to me. There is a reason that you can't go to a vending machine and get blood pressure medicine, insulin, etc.. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, aubiefifty said:

Tuberville defends Auburn’s Bryan Harsin for not disclosing vaccination status: ‘Mandates to me are unconstitutional’

By Greg Garrison | ggarrison@al.com

4-5 minutes

Auburn coach Bryan Harsin against Arkansas during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021, in Fayetteville, Ark. (AP Photo/Michael Woods)AP

U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville, himself a former Auburn University head football coach, today defended current Auburn Coach Bryan Harsin, who has taken heat for not revealing if had been vaccinated for COVID-19.

“He’s like everybody else,” Tuberville responded to an AL.com question today about Harsin’s vaccination status. “You should have the right to make your own decision. It’s a free country. These mandates to me are unconstitutional.”

Read more: Bryan Harsin declines to address vaccination status in light of university mandate

Amid low vaccination rates, Bryan Harsin emphasizing it’s a personal decision

Tuberville addresses vaccine mandates, Jan. 6 riots

Tuberville, who was the head football coach at Auburn University from 1999 through 2008, has been vaccinated and has publicly encouraged vaccination in consultation with a physician.

“I’m not going to get into the argument of whether he should or shouldn’t,” Tuberville said of Harsin. “I think he should just do the right thing, talk to the doctors, and I’m sure he’s done that.”

However, Tuberville acknowledged that Harsin does have particular responsibility as a head football coach at a public university. Auburn has federal contracts and falls under the federal vaccine mandate imposed by President Joe Biden.

“He’s a leader of the football team at Auburn,” Tuberville said. “I’m sure that he’ll make the right decision. I’m not going to tell him to, or not to (get vaccinated). He’s got some very good doctors there that work with the football program. He’s got people around him, all across Auburn, that help them with all their needs in terms of medical. So, I’m sure he’s going to make the right decision. I think at the end of the day we’ve just got to leave it up to him. I’d hate to see anything happen to any coach.”

Earlier this month, Washington State University fired Coach Nick Rolovich and four of his assistants for failing to meet a vaccine mandate. Rolovich, who was making $3.1 million a year, had applied for a religious exemption from the mandate but was refused.

“I understand that last week we lost a coach at Washington State because he was mandated to take it and they fired him because of it and he wouldn’t do it,” Tuberville said. “I think it was honorable that he stood up to his beliefs and I think that’s what anybody should do.”

Tuberville said he would defend Harsin whatever his personal decision on vaccination.

“If he took it, I’d come to his defense and if he didn’t take it, I’d come to his defense,” Tuberville said. “To me, it’s your personal decision. You’ve got to weigh the options, whether it’s the best thing for you, physically. This is not something that’s going to affect anyone else. It’s going to affect him personally, whether he takes it or not. I don’t think anybody else should go off what he believes or doesn’t believe, or whether he takes it or doesn’t take it. It’s an individual decision. He’s got plenty of medical advice around him and I’m sure he’ll make that right decision.”

During his weekly press briefing on Wednesday, Tuberville emphasized the effects of the mandate on the military and employees of military contractors, especially in light of Alabama’s extensive federal contracts.

Tuberville said he sent a letter to Biden on Tuesday asking him to reverse the mandate.

“This mandate takes the decision away from doctors and patients and forces employees to choose between continuing their work to support our military or taking a vaccine they do not want for whatever reason,” Tuberville said on his weekly press call Wednesday. “Mandates are not the answer. Frank conversations between doctors and patients are.”

Nick didn’t mind announcing he was vaccinated nor did he mind doing commercials to get folks vaccinated , that is why early on Alabama was already almost 100% vaccinated by fall camp. And Tubby only makes comments he thinks will get him elected. Maybe Nick actually cared about his players and followed educated opinions . 

• Like 1