WRs improving under Kiesau

aubiefifty

33 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Colorado State is a Mountain West program, with an overall losing record.

That was a typo, meant G5.  They aren't a bottom feeder, they aren't an elite P5 school.  Bobo took over a good 10-3 team and went 7-6 for 3 years, then 4-8, then 3-9.  They got worse over his 6 years.

They had good years under McElwain and the coach before that when they were in the WAC, and then one the MAC a few times around the turn of the century.

I feel pretty sure Bobo will be here for at least one more year. My understanding is that Harsin had the coaches commit to two years to build the program's foundation, and I think we'll see that carried out with at least the coordinators. If Nix has a stellar senior year and the offense is explosive in 22, then I could see Bobo getting a head coaching call or two, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being here for 3-4 years, either.

Mason I kind of expect to get a HC gig after next season.

And yeah, it would surprise me if Kiesau and Shmedding aren't the ones to take over, which I'm fine with...so long as the recruiting remains at a high level, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Mason I kind of expect to get a HC gig after next season

One thing that's interesting with the coordinators...there aren't many job they'd get a look for that will pay them more.

@Dual-Threat Rigby so you can see what I'm saying. You will see now all of a sudden it's the wr's fault again right? You won't see anybody blaming the wr coach. Get all the praise but it's the other guy when anything is bad 

I'd be surprised if anybody that says anything about separation actually has looked at the wr's before and look at them now, have any film to go off of to really come to an conclusion that this wr coach is improving them.......

This is still like when Gus was here right now as far as over hyping games against mediocre teams then being hurt when we actually play a decent team because all of the praise wasn't true. 

Like I said the wr's are marginally getting better from experience. But there's only so much you can teach the wr themselves are capped by their physical abilities and we don't have scary wr's no matter who coaches them. 

And also like mentioned before when Bo actually make good throws the wr's look good. It's amazing how good the wr's look when the QB make accurate throws. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Nix had an awful game from the first snap but it goes both ways .. Hudson dropped two passes right In his hands.. I feel like Hudson and Canion are the two best playmakers we have at WR but Hudson is inconsistent and Canion can’t get on the field.. we do not have that guy who can bail out nix when he makes a bad throw and we don’t have that guy who can consistently catch the ball when it is right in his hands.. I am willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt because of the mess Gus left.. the wide receivers are having to learn how to run real routes.. get separation etc.. and the Qb is having to learn as well.. it will be a process and I look forward to the QB battles next year.. should be interesting. 

• Like 2

The refs let them play yesterday.  4 penalties for 30 yards on A&M, 5 for 35 on us.   Not a single PI called in a game with 70 pass attempts.  It is a reason why McCreary and Simpson looked so good.   With that type of officiating, it is harder to get separation.   It goes both ways.  If I recall correctly our WRs had either 4 or 5 catches in the entire game (Cannion 1, Robertson 1, Hudson 1, or maybe 0, and Jackson 2).  I think we had 3 drops.   In any event, something is wrong when your backs have double the number of receptions than your wrs.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby so you can see what I'm saying. You will see now all of a sudden it's the wr's fault again right? You won't see anybody blaming the wr coach. Get all the praise but it's the other guy when anything is bad 

I'd be surprised if anybody that says anything about separation actually has looked at the wr's before and look at them now, have any film to go off of to really come to an conclusion that this wr coach is improving them.......

This is still like when Gus was here right now as far as over hyping games against mediocre teams then being hurt when we actually play a decent team because all of the praise wasn't true. 

Like I said the wr's are marginally getting better from experience. But there's only so much you can teach the wr themselves are capped by their physical abilities and we don't have scary wr's no matter who coaches them. 

And also like mentioned before when Bo actually make good throws the wr's look good. It's amazing how good the wr's look when the QB make accurate throws. 

Yep, it really felt like I was watching a 2020 game or some of the slogs from earlier in the season. Separation/route running really wasn’t something we needed when Ark/Ole Miss would play 7 yards off the receiver, I suppose. 

I think if we looked at it as good secondaries vs bad secondaries, instead of Corn vs Kiseau, things would fall more into line across both tenures. They had drops and/or got clamped by UGA, A&M, and PSU (and GSU). The passing game created space against bad secondaries like Arky, Ole Miss, the D2 games and partially LSU. 

What would you like to see out of all this? Admittance that Corn wasn’t the main problem? Recognizing that we don’t have a real #1 (and maybe not #2) WR? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The refs let them play yesterday.  4 penalties for 30 yards on A&M, 5 for 35 on us.   Not a single PI called in a game with 70 pass attempts.  It is a reason why McCreary and Simpson looked so good.   With that type of officiating, it is harder to get separation.   It goes both ways.  If I recall correctly our WRs had either 4 or 5 catches in the entire game (Cannion 1, Robertson 1, Hudson 1, or maybe 0, and Jackson 2).  I think we had 3 drops.   In any event, something is wrong when your backs have double the number of receptions than your wrs.  

A huge difference was the faith their OC had in their WRs testing our CBs past 10 yards. The passes to Anais Smith in the 3rd opened the game up, and while our D still played don’t break and kept us in it, the momentum was permanently shifted one way from there. 

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep, it really felt like I was watching a 2020 game or some of the slogs from earlier in the season. Separation/route running really wasn’t something we needed when Ark/Ole Miss would play 7 yards off the receiver, I suppose. 

I think if we looked at it as good secondaries vs bad secondaries, instead of Corn vs Kiseau, things would fall more into line across both tenures. They had drops and/or got clamped by UGA, A&M, and PSU (and GSU). The passing game created space against bad secondaries like Arky, Ole Miss, the D2 games and partially LSU. 

What would you like to see out of all this? Admittance that Corn wasn’t the main problem? Recognizing that we don’t have a real #1 (and maybe not #2) WR? 

See? I don't expect to see anything. I hope and pray we get some elite athletes at the wr position that are also tall and rangy because I know without a shadow of doubt that our starters aren't redzone threats.  

I know corn wasn't a problem because I know there aren't quick fixes and there wouldn't ever be a coach come in and fix things at wr without different receivers or a better QB. 

I agree it's more about good secondaries and bad than a coach vs coach. Right now we have a few moving goal post pointless arguments. When it's going good it's this person and when it's not it's that person, like the if everything is perfect then the QB is NFL material. What qb isn't good if the run game is going, o line is perfect, wr's are perfect? That's essentially taking out or forgetting what makes a player great or elite is he takes guys that aren't great and still makes great plays and wins. 

Overall what I'm wanting to see is us have actual good players and go far one day and stop trying to make mediocre great. We have to work to get there ofcourse but I'm thinking we can eventually. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

See? I don't expect to see anything. I hope and pray we get some elite athletes at the wr position that are also tall and rangy because I know without a shadow of doubt that our starters aren't redzone threats.  

I know corn wasn't a problem because I know there aren't quick fixes and there wouldn't ever be a coach come in and fix things at wr without different receivers or a better QB. 

I agree it's more about good secondaries and bad than a coach vs coach. Right now we have a few moving goal post pointless arguments. When it's going good it's this person and when it's not it's that person, like the if everything is perfect then the QB is NFL material. What qb isn't good if the run game is going, o line is perfect, wr's are perfect? That's essentially taking out or forgetting what makes a player great or elite is he takes guys that aren't great and still makes great plays and wins. 

Overall what I'm wanting to see is us have actual good players and go far one day and stop trying to make mediocre great. We have to work to get there ofcourse but I'm thinking we can eventually. 

A lot of what you’re saying can be consolidated into jimmys and joes instead of Xs and Os, right? I will give Harsin that a lot of WRs recruited, even though they were studly and I  believe you should be able to work with stud talent regardless, were recruited with Gus’s eye. And Gus’s eye might not care much for minute things. He had Sammie Coates who was the Kobe Hudson experience times a 100. 

I really don’t know if these guys are particularly good at recruiting, but I do think they put a lot into technical skills, no matter the position on offense. So maybe we end up with some more Will Hastings or that Ladd McConkey guy from UGA that had potential NFL corners looking silly with his foot work. I think that’d be preferable to most of our current crop

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Nix had an awful game from the first snap but it goes both ways .. Hudson dropped two passes right In his hands.. I feel like Hudson and Canion are the two best playmakers we have at WR but Hudson is inconsistent and Canion can’t get on the field.. we do not have that guy who can bail out nix when he makes a bad throw and we don’t have that guy who can consistently catch the ball when it is right in his hands.. I am willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt because of the mess Gus left.. the wide receivers are having to learn how to run real routes.. get separation etc.. and the Qb is having to learn as well.. it will be a process and I look forward to the QB battles next year.. should be interesting. 

I am right there with u regarding the opening snap. For some reason the opening drive yelled it’s gonna be a long day for Auburn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

How do you know there wasn’t a behind the scenes problem? 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I personally didn’t see Kiesau name get mentioned one time. But I seen his name get mentioned plenty against Arkansas and OM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These receivers will be up and down the rest of the way.   Coaching ain't gonna change that IMO.  Clearly CBH had a real issue with Corn for some reason.  My guess it was not related to whether our WR's were catching the ball.