Jump to content

Is Nix developing under the new staff?


japantiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

When I look at the stats, it's hard to see evidence of Nix's improvement or development.  His comp% is less than 1 point better than last year (60.7 vs 59.9 last year); HE's 64th in yds in the NCAA; 74th in TD's...below avg.  His TD to INT ratio is better...he protects the ball well and always has.  Rushing yards are trending to be a little less than the prior two years with fewer rushing TD's.   He's made some great scrambling plays; but he had done those in prior years.  He rose to the occasion against Arky and beat them (in my opinion) ; but that is an N of 1; and I haven't really seen anything to indicate a consistent change in production upwards.  I'm looking for evidence; what he did against LSU and Arky just don't really show in his #'s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





I would say since the LSU game yes.  Prior to that not so much.  LSU was the first game that I’ve seen Bo be the reason Auburn won on offense since the 2019 Iron Bowl.  Texas A&M may be the only team outside of Bama that Auburn has left with a really good D.  It’ll be fun to see how Bo’s numbers compare to Corrall’s Saturday night.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I would say since the LSU game yes.  Prior to that not so much.  LSU was the first game that I’ve seen Bo be the reason Auburn won on offense since the 2019 Iron Bowl.  Texas A&M may be the only team outside of Bama that Auburn has left with a really good D.  It’ll be fun to see how Bo’s numbers compare to Corrall’s Saturday night.

I see nothing physically about Corral that says he should outplay Nix.  Corral just plays with so much confidence and audacity....he is quite fearless with the ball in his hands....and his #'s show it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

I will just say the number of drops has skewed those numbers. Watching him play u can see improvement. Respectfully!!

That is possible...seems a tough argument to make that all his improvement got wiped out by dropped balls....we dropped a lot in prior years as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I'm looking for evidence; what he did against LSU and Arky just don't really show in his #'s.

I'm not sure how you can look at the Arkansas game and say the numbers don't show it.  That's probably the best game he's had & definitely his best road game.  I *hope* that is a cumulation of all the work he's put in.  I agree his total stats are a little similar, but I think his pocket presence is better, his base is a little better, is feet are a little better.  He just needs to find calmness and consistency.  I hope the end of the year he can build on that consistency

I agree with you on LSU.  It was ole road Bo, but it just actually worked.  He was frantic behind a horrific OL, running everywhere, but the passes actually dropped.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say absolutely.  Just look at the feet. He is trusting the pocket more. He is a lot calmer in the game. He still reverts to the old Bo from time to time but its is being seen less and less and he bounces back quickly when he does. It seems as if the light is coming on for him and I am really happy for him. ( I hope I didn't just jinx him...) War Eagle and IGTBAAT 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I see nothing physically about Corral that says he should outplay Nix.  Corral just plays with so much confidence and audacity....he is quite fearless with the ball in his hands....and his #'s show it.

Plus better offensive unit. With arguably the best offensive mind of the last decade as HC and a top tier OC.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

774,098 BEST Stock Charts IMAGES, STOCK PHOTOS & VECTORS | Adobe Stock


The highs have been higher this season IMO.

That 2nd long TD pass against Arky... I just don't think he had that play in him in seasons past. 

That long bomb against LSU last year was pretty sweat.  I get what you’re saying though.  Aaron Murray, David Greene, Matthew Stafford.  All pretty pretty good Bobo Qbs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too be honest, your either going to have to "watch the film", or invest in more advanced metrics like those available from Pro Football Focus. At the bare minimum, go with something like the QBR. You won't get any kind of accurate picture from some individual percentage or average.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

Too be honest, your either going to have to "watch the film", or invest in more advanced metrics like those available from Pro Football Focus. At the bare minimum, go with something like the QBR. You won't get any kind of accurate picture from some individual percentage or average.

From what I have seen. Thus far his QBR is the highest it’s ever been since attending Auburn. Currently almost 8 points higher than last year and would be higher but know need to keep beating that issue to death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One play stands out to me that would not have needed up like it did with Nix in the past. On the scramble TD pass against LSU he stopped and set his feet before he threw the ball at the last possible second. Last season he would have slung it while in mid air jumping out of bounds.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drops certainly have been an issue.  Pro Football Focus had us with 23 drops as of the end of the Georgia game.  If you give Bo 12 more completions (i.e.roughly half the drops were actually caught), his complete % goes to 66%. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

I'm looking for evidence; what he did against LSU and Arky just don't really show in his #'s.

 

Anyone that has watched every game and is saying they can't see development in Bo Nix under this staff is either ignorant to the fundamentals of the QB position, Blind, or hates the either Bo Nix or the new staff to the point they refuse to give recognition where it is due.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but the improvement is clearly there if you are looking. You don't have to be an expert either. Has he still struggled? Yes. He will continue to have struggles the rest of this season and probably next year, too.

Bo Nix is improved so much this year under this new offense. He is focused. He's having fun. He could be a dark horse for the Heisman. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t see Corall on this list. Need to pressure him and good things can happen.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

When I look at the stats, it's hard to see evidence of Nix's improvement or development.  His comp% is less than 1 point better than last year (60.7 vs 59.9 last year); HE's 64th in yds in the NCAA; 74th in TD's...below avg.  His TD to INT ratio is better...he protects the ball well and always has.  Rushing yards are trending to be a little less than the prior two years with fewer rushing TD's.   He's made some great scrambling plays; but he had done those in prior years.  He rose to the occasion against Arky and beat them (in my opinion) ; but that is an N of 1; and I haven't really seen anything to indicate a consistent change in production upwards.  I'm looking for evidence; what he did against LSU and Arky just don't really show in his #'s.

Looking at the wrong metrics. Those things can be indicative of bad QB play… or bad WR play or bad OL play. Nix looked really rough against Ga State and in the second half of the Penn State game. He didn’t look great against GA, but that defense is just incredible. Other than that, he’s been much better this year. He’s more poised, and is doing better going through his progressions. That’s not always showing because the folks around him haven’t quite rose to the occasion yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Curious, you don't see any of the "Bo haters" criticizing him very much any more. Sure, he's had some rough patches, and there is a lot about him I don't like, but the young man has definitely improved with the current coaching staff. He's had to, they'd benched him if he hadn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

I see nothing physically about Corral that says he should outplay Nix.  Corral just plays with so much confidence and audacity....he is quite fearless with the ball in his hands....and his #'s show it.

Plus the fact that Kiff is trying to get Corral the Heisman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Penn State game was a step forward for him imo. He played within the system, but was hurt by missing some deep balls and reads. LSU was a "heroic" performance, but it was more so because he used his athleticism and "backyard" abilities to win that game. Unfortunately, as evidenced by Georgia, that does not usually work. That's why the Arkansas game was the biggest sign of development from him. Stayed in the pocket, hit deep shots, didn't panic as much. Big step. Now it's about consistency for him. That is what he needs to do to take that next step and either get to the league or guarantee there is absolutely zero QB question heading into the offseason

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really depends what you look at. There are some things he does better I think. But at the same time he's still a QB that many feel things needs to be perfect for to be productive and he still doesn't inspire anybody to believe he can beat a very good team, and can't produce consistently. 

If viewed as a pretty good qb yes, if people start the heisman talk or best QB talk then absolutely not. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

 

Anyone that has watched every game and is saying they can't see development in Bo Nix under this staff is either ignorant to the fundamentals of the QB position, Blind, or hates the either Bo Nix or the new staff to the point they refuse to give recognition where it is due.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but the improvement is clearly there if you are looking. You don't have to be an expert either. Has he still struggled? Yes. He will continue to have struggles the rest of this season and probably next year, too.

Bo Nix is improved so much this year under this new offense. He is focused. He's having fun. He could be a dark horse for the Heisman. 

Let me see if I got this right; "I don't mean to sound harsh; but let me insult anyone with an opinion other than mine; even though I provide no info or facts to support my obviously superior position"...is that about it? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...