Is Nix developing under the new staff?

japantiger

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

He knows what to do.  Arkansas proves that.  He got into the "zone" which allows him to approach the moment with a still mind.  Now it's just a matter of getting into that zone on a habitual basis, which more reps should take care of. 

With his physical talents, the sky's the limit.

see that's what's so frustrating and amazing, frankly. He's been taught what to do since 6th grade. Now midway through 3rd year, we still wonder if "high school" Bo Nix shows up or some other (better) version. Is that a function of his previous QB "coach" (Gus)? maybe. I wouldn't call myself a "hater" but a lot of programs would have moved on by now, if their 5 star QB wasn't progressing beyond 10th grade tendencies and I'm about to that point myself.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

I think what we are seeing from Nix this season is mostly just the normal progression of a QB. It's the most difficult position to play and nothing benefits those who play it as much as experience.

Think about most of the AU QBs over the years who are remembered as being really good. Players like Jason Campbell, Stan White, and Reggie Slack. None of those guys played a down their first year, and none of them were considered really good until their 4th or 5th year.

I think Nix has a chance to be really good if he will stay until he uses up his eligibility. I just hope that he will stay that long.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

see that's what's so frustrating and amazing, frankly. He's been taught what to do since 6th grade. Now midway through 3rd year, we still wonder if "high school" Bo Nix shows up or some other (better) version. Is that a function of his previous QB "coach" (Gus)? maybe. I wouldn't call myself a "hater" but a lot of programs would have moved on by now, if their 5 star QB wasn't progressing beyond 10th grade tendencies and I'm about to that point myself.

For AU to move on, someone's got to beat him out. So far he's the best we got. 

That being said. I agree that he has the opportunity to be exceptional if he continues to improve thru next season. 

Good performance #2 against Ole Miss.  High 60's comp%...ran very well...protected the ball.  Couple of misses (probably a TD on one) and a bad 3rd down scramble for a big loss.  But overall, a good enough performance to beat anyone I think.  And certainly a top half 2 or 3 SEC QB performance.  

• Like 2

He has shown improvement each week. What we need is consistency. I think that will come as he continues to progress in this system.  It is obvious that everyone on the offensive side of the ball is working hard and getting better. The OL is giving Nix a good pocket to throw from, he is hitting the open receivers and they are catching it. Can't ask for more at this point. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, japantiger said:

I see nothing physically about Corral that says he should outplay Nix.  Corral just plays with so much confidence and audacity....he is quite fearless with the ball in his hands....and his #'s show it.

i am late to the thread japster but i believe bo played hurt at least one game but i think two. he played but his shoulder i think was messed up and he was having problems with throws as well as his receivers getting butterfingers. i think bo is a winner. it is hard to measure his heart but it is huge. but he is improving in a bunch of ways. his acne is not as bad as it was. wink  you know me bro if i do not know it i will make it up. maybe we can get an in depth look from stat or something?

• Haha 2

He’s getting better. Still some throws he has to make. The one miss he had in the 2nd half against ole miss made no sense. He had 2 open guys and missed pretty badly. Luckily it didn’t come back to bite us

• Like 2

13 hours ago, japantiger said:

Good performance #2 against Ole Miss.  High 60's comp%...ran very well...protected the ball.  Couple of misses (probably a TD on one) and a bad 3rd down scramble for a big loss.  But overall, a good enough performance to beat anyone I think.  And certainly a top half 2 or 3 SEC QB performance.  

His Comp% was actually 73.3%.  That's two SEC opponents back to back > 70%.

And it seems the "bad" throws are now in the minority.  No QB is going to make a good throw every game

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

He’s getting better. Still some throws he has to make. The one miss he had in the 2nd half against ole miss made no sense. He had 2 open guys and missed pretty badly. Luckily it didn’t come back to bite us

The deep pass that fluttered to now where?

Yeah, that was an old Bo moment.  Panicked in a clean pocket.  Stepped up and essentially threw flat footed with his chest in an OL's back.  Luckily those moments seem to be in the minority of plays

• Like 2

For the first time I saw him against Arkansas step up in the pocket and have good mechanics consistently. The throws could have been easier zone beaters but it was good to see a little pocket awareness.

Against Ole Miss he continued to have good mechanics and footwork. I saw one pass that his footwork was off and that was a last second check down to Shivers (I believe) in the 3rd quarter. We kind of lost focus overall in the 3rd, hope he continues to improve. 

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

His Comp% was actually 73.3%.  That's two SEC opponents back to back > 70%.

And it seems the "bad" throws are now in the minority.  No QB is going to make a good throw every game

Yep...sorry, picked up the wrong numbers...23/31.  A very strong performance...and the game planning to use him running is a huge asset to this offense.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, Sizzle said:

Bad miss when he lobbed one way over Worm's head, too. But at least now we can isolate those moments vs losing them in a sea of mistakes. That's what I said about the questionable play calls against PSU, too. At least it wasn't the complete philosophical train wreck we'd gotten used to.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bad miss when he lobbed one way over Worm's head, too. But at least now we can isolate those moments vs losing them in a sea of mistakes. That's what I said about the questionable play calls against PSU, too. At least it wasn't the complete philosophical train wreck we'd gotten used to.

Yep. There isn’t a QB in the country that doesn’t have bad misses. Even Corral 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Never thought I would see Bo lead the SEC in this category. There’s no denying Harsin and Bobo have been incredible in developing Nix. 

This was an area he had to improve in this year. Knew that he was better, but wasn’t aware he was converting at such a high clip. 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Never thought I would see Bo lead the SEC in this category. There’s no denying Harsin and Bobo have been incredible in developing Nix. 

I would have bet the farm and your house Bo would never have led in this category and I am a fan of Bo.  Is this real or fake?   I am guessing real. 

Unfortunately, this is a strong (really good) secondary we face on Saturday.    sniff - sniff - I smell me some TE play this Saturday.  

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I would have bet the farm and your house Bo would never have led in this category and I am a fan of Bo.  Is this real or fake?   I am guessing real. 

Unfortunately, this is a strong (really good) secondary we face on Saturday.    sniff - sniff - I smell me some TE play this Saturday.  

It’s real. It’s a great follow if you’re an analytic nerd. They have pretty much any stat you can think of. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I was gonna post the same graphic.  

I think what it's shows is we have a few coaches on this staff that understand how to develop players.

Everyone is getting better!

Hope is a powerful aphrodisiac for football fans

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I can't post the whole article since it's behind the paywall, but I want to grab this short excerpt where Harsin speaks frankly about Bo's development:

"It's hard to do that when everybody else around you is not doing their part."

Harsin played quarterback and has coached QBs most of his career. He's "as critical as anybody" on the finer points of the position. But he knows that Nix needed more around him to turn a corner.

"We got better at doing our jobs around our QB," Harsin said. "So if I want to talk about his balance or footwork, he's not having to worry about, 'Well, the guy ran a five-yard route who's supposed to run a 15-yard route?' Because that would just [tick] you off. That's where we've gotten better, just being able to talk about his position of what the hell he needs to do, rather than what everybody else is not doing."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/32528447/inside-turnarounds-ohio-state-auburn-others-shaky-starts

Pretty much tells you exactly why Harsin felt changes had to be made at WR coach and why despite Finley's heroics at the end of the Ga. State game, he went back to Nix.  I like a guy that is willing to say what he thinks when he feels it needs to be said.  I think we've all wondered aloud at time whether Bo was broken beyond fixing after Gus, but Harsin is flat telling you that all the correct footwork and technique in the world won't fix things when the other 10 guys are failing at their jobs, particularly those Nix is trying to throw to.

True I’ve been hypercritical of him in the past and it is easy to forget the others in the process 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

True I’ve been hypercritical of him in the past and it is easy to forget the others in the process 

Fix the OL pass pro 

+

Fix the receivers ability to create separation and catching

+

Fix Bo's fundamentals 

+

Scheme and playcall to player's strengths

=

Competent and competitive offensive play 

It really doesn't take a genius...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Competent and competitive offensive play

It's been so nice not having to watch 3rd & 3, 5 wide, all verts vs All out blitz....somehow never work

• Like 4