Brandon Strikes Again

I_M4_AU

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you honestly not see the difference in appealing a lower court’s decision to a higher court and quickly rushing thru legislation specifically targeting an entity that criticized a decision and said it was pausing campaign contributions?

Yes, I see the difference.  I don’t think pausing campaign contributions has much to do with it.  DeSanits will be re-elected in November whether Disney backs him or not.

27 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He had no interest in addressing this UNTIL they criticized him & paused contributions. 

And I have zero problem with folks criticizing Disney on this or anything else.

But this take is in 1984-style BS.

And Tucker? The autocrats best friend the world over. He’s huuuge on Russian TV these days. Your brethren over there love him, too!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, I see the difference.  I don’t think pausing campaign contributions has much to do with it.  DeSanits will be re-elected in November whether Disney backs him or not.

He might. But he took action on this self-governing issue for purely retaliatory reasons.  No criticism & no pause in contributions and this would not have happened regardless of Disney’s programming decisions.

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He might. But he took action on this self-governing issue for purely retaliatory reasons.  No criticism & no pause in contributions and this would not have happened regardless of Disney’s programming decisions.

If Disney hadn’t made it so public none of this would have happened.  Disney went the virtue signal route and it bit them.  The have lost $billions in stock value since the release of their managerial zoom call.  Notice they have been pretty quiet about this.  JMO.

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Disney hadn’t made it so public none of this would have happened.  Disney went the virtue signal route and it bit them.  The have lost $billions in stock value since the release of their managerial zoom call.  Notice they have been pretty quiet about this.  JMO.

You still don’t get it. If Disney makes an unpopular decision, they can get vocally hammered for it and if it has a business impact, fine. One can critique Disney AND DeSantis. Only one of those entities is an elected official misusing the powers of government. If shareholders disagree with Disney, they can be vocal & demand change. You’re demonstrating no real set of principles on this other than those with whom you disagree should be punished without limits as to how. Autocratic.

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You still don’t get it. If Disney makes an unpopular decision, they can get vocally hammered for it and if it has a business impact, fine. One can critique Disney AND DeSantis. Only one of those entities is an elected official misusing the powers of government. If shareholders disagree with Disney, they can be vocal & demand change. You’re demonstrating no real set of principles on this other than those with whom you disagree should be punished without limits as to how. Autocratic.

Do you think Joe is autocratic?  By instigating the vaccine mandates, using OSHA of all organizations, to cram it down American’s throats as a work around.  Having people fired if they don’t comply.  Let’s not get on too high of a horse here.

57 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think Joe is autocratic?  By instigating the vaccine mandates, using OSHA of all organizations, to cram it down American’s throats as a work around.  Having people fired if they don’t comply.  Let’s not get on too high of a horse here.

I think governments have considerable latitude in addressing public health crises. Where to draw the line is subjective. I think Australia, for example, appeared to go overboard. I think one can argue the OSHA mandate was overreach. The military vaccine mandate was not. But that wasn’t retaliatory like DeSantis actions are. Biden wasn’t singling out enemies and has respected court decisions.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think governments have considerable latitude in addressing public health crises. Where to draw the line is subjective. I think Australia, for example, appeared to go overboard. I think one can argue the OSHA mandate was overreach. The military vaccine mandate was not. But that wasn’t retaliatory like DeSantis actions are. Biden wasn’t singling out enemies and has respected court decisions.

So why not use an EO or some other vehicle other than OSHA as an obvious work around.  One did argue that the OSHA mandate was an overreach and won.

I guess it depends on what you call retaliatory.  I do remember, before the vaccine mandate, Biden pleaded every one to get vaccinated.  When that didn’t happen he coined the phrase *pandemic of the unvaccinated* and was *losing* patience with the unvaccinated.  Biden seemed to be singling out American citizens that did not agree with his view of vaccines.  It was pretty obvious.

Disney will have he same opportunity to voice their concern through the courts if they wish.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

So why not use an EO or some other vehicle other than OSHA as an obvious work around.  One did argue that the OSHA mandate was an overreach and won.

I guess it depends on what you call retaliatory.  I do remember, before the vaccine mandate, Biden pleaded every one to get vaccinated.  When that didn’t happen he coined the phrase *pandemic of the unvaccinated* and was *losing* patience with the unvaccinated.  Biden seemed to be singling out American citizens that did not agree with his view of vaccines.  It was pretty obvious.

Disney will have he same opportunity to voice their concern through the courts if they wish.

What public health crisis was DeSantis addressing by saddling Orange County with a huge burden? DeSantis is hoping the courts save him— with a loss:

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/7408784001

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What public health crisis was DeSantis addressing by saddling Orange County with a huge burden? DeSantis is hoping the courts save him— with a loss:

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/7408784001

If the vaccine did what the CDC said it would do in March of 2021 I could see the mandate, but by the time Biden enacted the OSHA mandate it was obvious he was just being stubborn a lot like DeSantis is now.

Who said Florida is going to lose the battle?  It’s a long way until June of next year.  They (Disney and the state of Florida) could come to an agreement.

27 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If the vaccine did what the CDC said it would do in March of 2021 I could see the mandate, but by the time Biden enacted the OSHA mandate it was obvious he was just being stubborn a lot like DeSantis is now.

Who said Florida is going to lose the battle?  It’s a long way until June of next year.  They (Disney and the state of Florida) could come to an agreement.

Florida loses by winning. I hope Disney doesn’t sue. Let Florida solve this problem.

WHAT WE DON’T KNOW

Exactly what effect dissolving Reedy Creek would have. It’s likely to make things more difficult for Disney when it comes to things like getting construction projects approved, though how it will work for local counties to absorb all the government function Reedy Creek now handles remains to be seen given how little analysis was done before the legislation was passed. A Senate analysis of the bill also noted local counties will have to absorb Reedy Creek’s debts—which total nearly $1 billion—even though Republican lawmakers behind the bill have claimed it shouldn’t pose a tax burden to local residents. 

TANGENT

Local officials in Orange County, Florida, have warned getting rid of Reedy Creek could substantially strain its resources and potentially lead to a 25% increase in property taxes, with Mayor Jerry Demings saying it would be “catastrophic” if the county had to absorb services that Disney now pays for without receiving additional revenue. DeSantis denied Friday that there were any issues about the effects of Reedy Creek being dissolved, claiming, “We have everything thought out.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/04/22/florida-punishes-walt-disney-world-as-desantis-signs-bill-dissolving-special-district-into-law/?sh=7baecec66307

”However, the counties would also become responsible for all of Disney’s debt. Approximately $2 billion of debt would be transferred to the counties, and therefore likely become the responsibility of taxpayers, assessed at a $2,200 tax per family of four or $580 per person.

Reedy Creek operates at a loss of approximately $5 to $10 million per year, but Disney is uniquely able to pay this off with their theme park revenue. The company also receives $105 million to operate its municipal services — funds that Orange and Osceola county would probably not get.”

https://wdwnt.com/2022/04/what-will-happen-if-the-reedy-creek-improvement-district-is-dissolved-at-walt-disney-world/

• Like 1

I really do struggle with anyone wanting to teach 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old children sex education and gender identity. Tex, perhaps you can explain why you approve of this?

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I really do struggle with anyone wanting to teach 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old children sex education and gender identity. Tex, perhaps you can explain why you approve of this?

Never said I did. You hallucinating again?

On 10/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, I_M4_AU said:

The money will come from you and me.  Military families get $400,000 if a soldier dies in combat and the $450,000 is way over what the compensation was to the victims of 9-11.  This amount for an illegal action is insane.

Let’s Go Brandon is really not a catch phrase, it’s from a blunder from media.  It’s just too damn funny.

Where do you get the $400,000 per soldier that dies in combat?  I thought that was $100,000? 

41 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Where do you get the $400,000 per soldier that dies in combat?  I thought that was $100,000? 

Really?  After 6 months I can not recall the source.  I believe it was from Dan Crenshaw in one of his tweets.

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Never said I did. You hallucinating again?

No, but did read 2 pages of your defense of Disney. So you agree with Disney and their position. Fine. Just tell me why?

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

No, but did read 2 pages of your defense of Disney. So you agree with Disney and their position. Fine. Just tell me why?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. I Never once advocated their position on anything. If you still disagree, quote me from the two pages you claim it happened. 

I critiqued the governmental response which was gross overreach, retaliatory  and probably illegal. Also it obfuscated the issue by shifting the focus. If one disagrees with their programming or political stance, hit that directly. I haven’t studied it closely enough to track correlation, but Disney’s stock is down— I think that trajectory may have started before this, but if Disney loses business over programming decisions, isn’t that how the market’s supposed to work? If Disney or any other company take highly public ideological/political positions they run certain risks. Frankly, large corporations are in a challenging political environment and are asked to take stands on a number of issues. It’s a difficult tightrope to walk, but if they don’t get it right, they lose business.

I guess I’m just far more conservative than you or DeSantis, but I say, “let the market work.”

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. I Never once advocated their position on anything. If you still disagree, quote me from the two pages you claim it happened. 

I critiqued the governmental response which was gross overreach, retaliatory  and probably illegal. Also it obfuscated the issue by shifting the focus. If one disagrees with their programming or political stance, hit that directly. I haven’t studied it closely enough to track correlation, but Disney’s stock is down— I think that trajectory may have started before this, but if Disney loses business over programming decisions, isn’t that how the market’s supposed to work? If Disney or any other company take highly public ideological/political positions they run certain risks. Frankly, large corporations are in a challenging political environment and are asked to take stands on a number of issues. It’s a difficult tightrope to walk, but if they don’t get it right, they lose business.

I guess I’m just far more conservative than you or DeSantis, but I say, “let the market work.”

Well then answer the question and stop obfuscating. Why do you agree with Disney in teaching these small children sex education and gender identity? If you don't agree with them then simply say so and tell us why?

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Well then answer the question and stop obfuscating. Why do you agree with Disney in teaching these small children sex education and gender identity? If you don't agree with them then simply say so and tell us why?

I’ve avoided nothing. I answered your previous question which was grounded in a false assumption. No, I don’t want  Disney nor any other corporation taking it upon themselves to educate small children about sex or gender beliefs. I’m fine with them having gay characters in teen shows just as happens in real life. 

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

No, I don’t want  Disney nor any other corporation taking it upon themselves to educate small children about sex or gender beliefs.

See, that wasn't so hard. Thank you!

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Really?  After 6 months I can not recall the source.  I believe it was from Dan Crenshaw in one of his tweets.

Actually, we are both correct.  The death gratuity is $100,000.  However, if the service member elected to participate and pay premiums for Service Members Group Life Insurance, he or she is eligible for up to $400,000 paid to the beneficiaries. 

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/active-duty-death-entitlements-3356940

• Thanks 1