Harsin!

cbo

43 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

One of those things is that we will find out that he is vaccinated.  I truly like the man, but I don't respect his failure to lead on a topic of this importance.

giphy-1.gif

3 hours ago, tomcat said:

I’ve got one too! If I was smart I’d use it more instead of trying to figure out the impact of an adjustment of 1/8 inch on the airflow and temp with my Green Egg. I’ve committed to electric for Thanksgiving.

Get yourself a BBQ Guru or something similar for the Egg. You'll never use the electric again. Ask me how I know.....

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

Get yourself a BBQ Guru or something similar for the Egg. You'll never use the electric again. Ask me how I know.....

Be ready to drop some cash though. For reference, the bare bones smoker I have cost 200. The BBQ guru alone runs 350, and then you have to factor in the cost of the egg.

Eventually I am going to move up the ladder after mastering this one and invest in a nice offset,  but for where I am now dropping crazy amounts of money is a non-starter. I got 4 girls to put through college and marry off lol. 

Edited by AUDub

10 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I pulled the trigger on the FlameBoss a few years back and have never looked back. No more getting up in the middle of the night to check the BGE

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

They sell these at the Aggie meat market on campus (along with dry aged steaks and other goodness).  I literally take a cooler, stop there, put everything on ice in my car, and then go park so that I can take it all home.

For these delicacies:

Take a jalepeno, hollow it out.  Stuff it with cheddar.

Surround it in ground sausage.  Then wrap it in bacon.

Put in smoker for about 2 hours.

Sorry to derail, but these look fun! Couple of questions. 

1. What temp target of smoker?

2. Do you cook them in log form and slice after, or slice before cooking?

11 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

Look like most recipes for this kind of stuff call for about 250. 

You should have individual balls of awesome from the look of it. 

C_IMG_5414-2-scaled.jpg.webp

13 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

1) 250

2) Large nugget form and slice after.  You don't have to slice though.  We did because we were sharing them with an entire tailgate.

20 hours ago, selias said:

It takes time to build relationships with area HS and coaches. I'm not fretting about his recruiting immediately, the man hasn't even been here 12 months yet.

Don’t care much about keeping up with recruiting and have always trusted that we will get our share of “players”. Seems that the product we have seen the past couple of weeks would go a long way in swaying recruits. Those guys enjoy winning, having fun, and are being coached.

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

Be ready to drop some cash though. For reference, the bare bones smoker I have cost 200. The BBQ guru alone runs 350, and then you have to factor in the cost of the egg.

Eventually I am going to move up the ladder after mastering this one and invest in a nice offset,  but for where I am now dropping crazy amounts of money is a non-starter. I got 4 girls to put through college and marry off lol. 

$350 is their top of the line, $220 gets you a DigiQ, which does the job for most people. I had one of those, but used it so much that I moved up to a CyberQ (predecessor of their UltraQ) some years back. The thing is, if you use it a lot, an electric smoker will last a few years, and they can be tough to clean out. OTOH, a ceramic will last pretty much forever (mine is now 15 years old), and their versatility and ease for grilling and smoking means you use them all the time. They pay for themselves in money saved on eating out! I have around $2k in my rig, and we've paid for it many times over. 

Consider: Smoke 25 # of pork shoulder at a shot. Family eats ~1.5 lb per meal. Cooked weight is maybe 20 #? Don't have my BBQ spreadsheet with me to check that. I freeze and vac pack what we don't eat fresh. We get 13 family meals out of that one smoke. That's 13 trips to a BBQ restaurant at probably $60/trip for a family of four. That's a cost save of $780 minus cost of meat, buns, slaw and sauce, estimate those at $100 total. So just that one smoke saves us $680, and I do that 2-3 times/year, plus all the other myriad ribs, chicken, steaks, burgers, fish, etc that I cook on it. If you buy an expensive tool and use it a lot, it pays for itself! 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'll be going Rec-Tec when I can justify the buy. 

Those are nice pellet grills, but most people who have had both ceramic and pellet grills will tell you that the pellet grills hardly get used. I have both. 

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Those are nice pellet grills, but most people who have had both ceramic and pellet grills will tell you that the pellet grills hardly get used. I have both. 

Man I have an egg, but I’m itching for a pellet smoker bad. The convenience and ease of use on long smokes is too much to pass up. I think they are both fantastic choices though.

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

My experience has been quite the opposite. In fact, you're the first person I've ever heard say this. A good friend of mine who grills or smokes meat every weekend just recently sold his BGE after getting a Rec-Tec.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Man I have an egg, but I’m itching for a pellet smoker bad. The convenience and ease of use on long smokes is too much to pass up. I think they are both fantastic choices though.

I mean, starting the thing and controlling it with a phone app... no brainer. Never mind folks switching away from their BGEs. I've heard of folks not even using their ovens anymore. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

If you buy an expensive tool and use it a lot, it pays for itself! 

All this stuff should probably be in the BBQ club but….I agree. As much as I’ve used mine and enjoyed it I think it’s been a pretty good investment

1 minute ago, fredst said:

All this stuff should probably be in the BBQ club but….I agree. As much as I’ve used mine and enjoyed it I think it’s been a pretty good investment

I have a thread there. But hey it's a football forum and eventually the topic of BBQ was going to come up lol. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I love my BGE but really want a pellet smoker too. It will require a cloak of invisibility so that my wife cannot see it though

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AUDub said:

I have a thread there. But hey it's a football forum and eventually the topic of BBQ was going to come up lol. 

I love it but just waiting for the scolding from someone lol

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

$350 is their top of the line, $220 gets you a DigiQ, which does the job for most people. I had one of those, but used it so much that I moved up to a CyberQ (predecessor of their UltraQ) some years back. The thing is, if you use it a lot, an electric smoker will last a few years, and they can be tough to clean out. OTOH, a ceramic will last pretty much forever (mine is now 15 years old), and their versatility and ease for grilling and smoking means you use them all the time. They pay for themselves in money saved on eating out! I have around $2k in my rig, and we've paid for it many times over. 

Consider: Smoke 25 # of pork shoulder at a shot. Family eats ~1.5 lb per meal. Cooked weight is maybe 20 #? Don't have my BBQ spreadsheet with me to check that. I freeze and vac pack what we don't eat fresh. We get 13 family meals out of that one smoke. That's 13 trips to a BBQ restaurant at probably $60/trip for a family of four. That's a cost save of $780 minus cost of meat, buns, slaw and sauce, estimate those at $100 total. So just that one smoke saves us $680, and I do that 2-3 times/year, plus all the other myriad ribs, chicken, steaks, burgers, fish, etc that I cook on it. If you buy an expensive tool and use it a lot, it pays for itself! 

Eventually I am going to move up in the world, but I'm still at the stage where I'm "cutting my teeth, as it were.

What I have is a good entry level system and I consider it just that. 

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I love it but just waiting for the scolding from someone lol

Everyone loves BBQ though lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, AUx said:

FWIW - same here. Then i tried the rope or snake method with the Webber. Can go about 6 hours without worrying about it. I could not believe it actually worked and pork butt turned out awesome. Wanting to do brisket soon. Just use decent quality charcoal. I've almost pulled the trigger on electric and natural gas smokers many times. Seems like something breaks or doesn't work as advertised whenever I shell out more cash. If I did get a dedicated upright smoker, it would be electric.

I picked up an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco barrel smoker. Fill the basket up and light one side and I have ran it 12 hours and basically not touched anything. Really impressed by temp control on a none electric. Once you figure out the air flow setting for the temp you want it basically handles the rest by itself. 

• Like 1

1. I've been seriously eyeing a Rec-Tec based on the recommendations of several friends.

2. I'm trying not to get too drawn in by the siren's call of a new coach but...watching Auburn football is fun again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Hey, even I'm happy we're talking about grills instead of the V word. 

• Love 1

i have an old school recipe i bet most of you have not heard of but it invilves a crock pot instead of a grill. take hot dog weenies and cut them up into thirds. toothpick a small piece of bacon around each piece. throw in the crock pot and cover with brown sugar and slow cook until the brown sugar melts. i am telling you guys they are wonderful and extremely addicting. cheap dogs are great but avoid the ones with the red dye.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i have an old school recipe i bet most of you have not heard of but it invilves a crock pot instead of a grill. take hot dog weenies and cut them up into thirds. toothpick a small piece of bacon around each piece. throw in the crock pot and cover with brown sugar and slow cook until the brown sugar melts. i am telling you guys they are wonderful and extremely addicting. cheap dogs are great but avoid the ones with the red dye.

Oh yeah. Staple at holiday parties. 

We're all southern here lol. 

• Love 1