My Thoughts From the Stadium (Ole Miss 2021)

abw0004

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Good afternoon all,

I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Halloween with your children.  In Atlanta, the rain passed just in time.  This past weekend's game was enjoyable for multiple reasons, aside from the win for me.  And this is why:

Fall Weather:  Saturday on the Plains was football weather if you ever were to describe what a perfect fall football day would look like.  The trees were all sorts of colors, with enough leaves on the ground for little kids to play in while their parents cooked tailgate food.  There was a slight breeze, and cool enough to where you needed a jacket.  It certainly was not freezing though.  There was a slight mist in the air, but I will get more into that in a moment.

Night Game:  Did you know this was Auburn's first SEC night game since 2019?  Our opponent that night?  Ole Miss.  With it being a night game though, fans were bundled up.  Why mention that?  Well, Auburn asked fans to wear orange, which I did.  However, I don't own an orange coat.  I have a blue coat as most of the other fans.  So you really couldn't see much orange for the effect Auburn wanted.

LED Show:  I was looking forward to this game, not just because it was a night SEC game, but because of the LED light show.  Man, did Auburn not disappoint.  Many of you have probably seen YouTube videos by now, but I can say for certain those videos do not do them justice.  A cool moment was right before kickoff, where the entire stadium was orange.  Players were dancing on the field, and fans were just having nothing but good times.  The mist really had a nice effect with the lights too, especially for Halloween season in full throttle.  The best moment?  The fourth quarter video.  Why?  See below:

Fourth Quarter Video:  If you have been to games this season, this video was not different.  What was different was something I have been hoping Auburn would do since 2017 when I witnessed Clemson do it when I attended the Auburn-Clemson game at Clemson.  Auburn rolled out an app that they asked for you to download.  Once you downloaded it and gave the app permissions, all you needed to do was hold your phone up and point it at the jumbotron at the start of the video.  The key was doing this before the video started, not after.  After that, the app took over and synced the phone's light to the video.  I don't think a lot of people realized you needed to download the app, so I would say only about 50% of the phones out where participating.  The rest just had their flashlight on.  I think once a lot more people realize they need the app, the effect will only get better.  Sure, a lot of stadiums have LED lights, but not many have what Auburn now has.

Atmosphere:  This was a really fun game to be a part of.  The fans were up and loud every time Ole Miss' offense was on the field.  In return, our players were hyped up and stayed that way all game.  Our fans did not become silenced, even after a chunk play from Ole Miss.  I never really had a feeling we would ever lose because of it.  The fans and players just wanted it too much.  The best moment was after the failed fourth down conversion where Corral rolled to his right and passed to his tight end for an incompletion, the jumbotron zoomed in on Lane Kiffen and his reaction was hilarious.  Another awesome moment was once it was halftime, our fanbase gave our players a standing ovation as they headed to the locker room.

Post-Game:  After the win, typically you will see all fans pour out of the stadium, and of course some did.  Most fans stayed and continue to cheer and celebrate though.  After Aubie asked for Swag Surfin' a few minutes prior (it was typed out on a phone when he was on the jumbotron), the student section erupted when the song came on.  This caused many players like Tank, Smoke, Zakoby, and many more to jump into the crowd and dance with them.  It really was a party and one I didn't want to leave.  Unfortunately I had to though as I wasn't going to get home until 2:00 AM Eastern as it was.

Moving forward, this team really does control at the bare-minimum their SEC destiny.  I believe in what Harsin said at the beginning of the season when he said he and his coaches will put his players in the best position to win every game.  Our players are having fun, and improving at the same time.  We are coming on strong at the right time.  I cannot wait for the Texas A&M game.  I hope each and every one of you have a wonderful week.  :wareagle:

Didn’t we play Tennessee at night last year?

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

However, I don't own an orange coat.  I have a blue coat as most of the other fans.  So you really couldn't see much orange for the effect Auburn wanted.

Great point. Thanks for your post. 

One comment: it was moderately loud, for Jordan-Hare, but it wasn't rocking on the level I've seen it for games against Bama, LSU, Florida. The atmosphere was great, yes, and it was a really fun environment (whomever is putting together the production with the LED lights and the phones and choosing the shots to put up on the video board and such needs a raise). And the crowd DID do a good job of getting loud when Ole Miss was on offense.

But, again, it wasn't rocking like it will be come Iron Bowl time. There's a path to the Iron Bowl being a HUGE game, and if we somehow manage to win out, and Bama does its part as well, then you better believe it's going to be lit like nobody's business in there.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the detailed description and pictures. Made me feel like I was there. I can imagine there is nothing like experiencing it in person. 

Lots of people had the app loaded and open but it just kept spinning and never connected.  I wonder if only so many people can get in at one time. Kinda disappointing for the grandkids!

I think people were just excited to be at a night game after two years!!😍

12 hours ago, War Eagle Girl said:

Lots of people had the app loaded and open but it just kept spinning and never connected.  I wonder if only so many people can get in at one time. Kinda disappointing for the grandkids!

I think people were just excited to be at a night game after two years!!😍

It would stop spinning right at the beginning and you needed to have your phone pointed at the jumbotron.  If you did it after the video started it wouldn't work.  Also make sure you gave the app all of the permissions it requested.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:09 AM, abw0004 said:

It would stop spinning right at the beginning and you needed to have your phone pointed at the jumbotron.  If you did it after the video started it wouldn't work.  Also make sure you gave the app all of the permissions it requested.

Did all that and so did others around us.