Henry Ruggs III to be Charged with Fatal DUI

Auburn 6

Raiders receiver Henry Ruggs III will be charged with DUI resulting in death after being involved in a fatal car accident Tuesday in Las Vegas around 3:40 a.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Upon arriving at the scene, fire department personnel discovered a deceased victim inside that car that was not being driven by Ruggs. Ruggs was transported to the University Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries. 

The deceased victim was inside a Toyota Rav4, while Ruggs was driving a Chevrolet Corvette. Preliminary investigation revealed that the front of the Chevrolet collided with the rear of the Toyota. Ruggs showed signs of impairment, according to Las Vegas police.

Terrible news all around on this one.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-henry-ruggs-iii-involved-in-fatal-car-accident-to-be-charged-with-dui-resulting-in-death/

I found this elsewhere and it looks like, if convicted, he'll be facing a sentence of between 2 and 20 years and no opportunity to plea it down.

NRS 484C.430 Penalty if death or substantial bodily harm results; exception; segregation of offender; plea bargaining restricted; suspension of sentence and probation prohibited; affirmative defense; exception; aggravating factor. [Effective until the date of the repeal of the federal law requiring each state to make it unlawful for a person to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or greater as a condition to receiving federal funding for the construction of highways in this State.] 

1. Unless a greater penalty is provided pursuant to NRS 484C.440, a person who: 

(a) Is under the influence of intoxicating liquor; 

(b) Has a concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath; 

(c) Is found by measurement within 2 hours after driving or being in actual physical control of a vehicle to have a concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath; 

(d) Is under the influence of a controlled substance or is under the combined influence of intoxicating liquor and a controlled substance; 

(e) Inhales, ingests, applies or otherwise uses any chemical, poison or organic solvent, or any compound or combination of any of these, to a degree which renders the person incapable of safely driving or exercising actual physical control of a vehicle; or 

(f) Has a prohibited substance in his or her blood or urine, as applicable, in an amount that is equal to or greater than the amount set forth in subsection 3 or 4 of NRS 484C.110, 

Ê and does any act or neglects any duty imposed by law while driving or in actual physical control of any vehicle on or off the highways of this State, if the act or neglect of duty proximately causes the death of, or substantial bodily harm to, another person, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 20 years and must be further punished by a fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $5,000. A person so imprisoned must, insofar as practicable, be segregated from offenders whose crimes were violent and, insofar as practicable, be assigned to an institution or facility of minimum security. 

2. A prosecuting attorney shall not dismiss a charge of violating the provisions of subsection 1 in exchange for a plea of guilty, guilty but mentally ill or nolo contendere to a lesser charge or for any other reason unless the attorney knows or it is obvious that the charge is not supported by probable cause or cannot be proved at the time of trial. A sentence imposed pursuant to subsection 1 may not be suspended nor may probation be granted. 

3. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 4, if consumption is proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it is an affirmative defense under paragraph (c) of subsection 1 that the defendant consumed a sufficient quantity of alcohol after driving or being in actual physical control of the vehicle, and before his or her blood or breath was tested, to cause the defendant to have a concentration of alcohol of 0.08 or more in his or her blood or breath. A defendant who intends to offer this defense at a trial or preliminary hearing must, not less than 14 days before the trial or hearing or at such other time as the court may direct, file and serve on the prosecuting attorney a written notice of that intent. 

4. If the defendant is also charged with violating the provisions of NRS 484E.010, 484E.020 or 484E.030, the defendant may not offer the affirmative defense set forth in subsection 3. 

5. If the defendant was transporting a person who is less than 15 years of age in the motor vehicle at the time of the violation, the court shall consider that fact as an aggravating factor in determining the sentence of the defendant. 

(Added to NRS by 1973, 447; A 1979, 1484; 1981, 1926; 1983, 1073; 1985, 818, 1015; 1989, 1111; 1991, 220, 489, 498, 837; 1995, 312, 1300, 2473; 1997, 644; 1999, 2452, 3422; 2001, 172; 2003, 1492, 2560; 2005, 144; 2007, 1453; 2015, 1364; 2017, 308) — (Substituted in revision for NRS 484.3795)

Edited by Auburn 6

3 hours ago, Auburn 6 said:

Terrible news all around on this one.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-henry-ruggs-iii-involved-in-fatal-car-accident-to-be-charged-with-dui-resulting-in-death/

I found this elsewhere and it looks like, if convicted, he'll be facing a sentence of between 2 and 20 years and no opportunity to plea it down.

I have a cousin who killed someone in a DUI accident. He’s currently in prison with a 20 year bid. He’s also not a wealthy athlete, wouldn’t be surprised if Ruggs gets off light. 

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I have a cousin who killed someone in a DUI accident. He’s currently in prison with a 20 year bid. He’s also not a wealthy athlete, wouldn’t be surprised if Ruggs gets off light. 

I hope Ruggs career is over. He got drunk and got behind the wheel. We all know you shouldn't do that. He won a NC in college football and signed a very lucrative contract in the NFL and he chose to throw it away. Prayers to the family of the lost one. I hope is money and fame don't go any damn where!

It’s a damn shame. Straight from the gump. He had a traumatic event happen with rod. Now this boneheaded decision killed a young lady and her dog. He needs prison. 150 mph and impaired. No excuse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Paladin said:

He deserves the maximum penalty allowed by law

I just came here to post this.  Lock him up for the max, I have no sympathy for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hate this situation. Hope the young woman never had any idea what was happening and died very quickly. 

Ruggs seems like an overall good dude from what I've read, but obviously this was a very bad, very irresponsible decision and action that's ruined one woman and families life and will wreck what was a very promising career for himself. Also has a one year old daughter that'll be left without a father for awhile. 

Has nothing to do with having the money or not. These young dudes are full of emotion, testosterone, and come into extreme wealth very early in life where they can do pretty much whatever they want for the first time in their lives. They are on top of the world and get reckless and make dumb decisions. They have this super cool sports car and they're going to drive it, not get into some strangers uber or call a friend to come get them...they're going to drive their lady around in their own car. 

and this is the outcome.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Hate this situation. Hope the young woman never had any idea what was happening and died very quickly. 

Ruggs seems like an overall good dude from what I've read, but obviously this was a very bad, very irresponsible decision and action that's ruined one woman and families life and will wreck what was a very promising career for himself. Also has a one year old daughter that'll be left without a father for awhile. 

Has nothing to do with having the money or not. These young dudes are full of emotion, testosterone, and come into extreme wealth very early in life where they can do pretty much whatever they want for the first time in their lives. They are on top of the world and get reckless and make dumb decisions. They have this super cool sports car and they're going to drive it, not get into some strangers uber or call a friend to come get them...they're going to drive their lady around in their own car. 

and this is the outcome.  

It is a bad situation, all around. Sometimes a monetary lapse in judgment, can have devastating consequences.  Case in point.

Somehow, I hope some good can come of this.  Somehow.

7 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Afraid that was not the case. 

No defense attorney alive let's this go to trial. He's pleading out. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

This is just ridiculous.  With money these guys make...  Get an UBER; Get a limo; Get a room....  Just ridiculous!!!

Not even that. Football teams have staff that will come and pick you up and drop you off if you’re impaired no questions asked. 

• Like 1

Vegas papers indicate approx 18 drinks at Top Golf. (His blood alcohol level was tested two hours after the crash). I’m wondering if there will be any liability for Top Golf. Don’t think there is a specific law in Nevada relative to number of drinks served

15 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Vegas papers indicate approx 18 drinks at Top Golf. (His blood alcohol level was tested two hours after the crash). I’m wondering if there will be any liability for Top Golf. Don’t think there is a specific law in Nevada relative to number of drinks served

Mixed drinks also I read. They should definitely be held liable in some way.