Softball 2022 Schedule and Season Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, all4AU said:

Great field of teams in Clearwater with excellent tv coverage. We draw Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Texas, UCLA, and South Florida. 

https://www.stpeteclearwatereliteinvite.com/event-schedule/

Damn that is some line up of teams and games

• Like 1

Clearwater will likely be the team’s first big test of the year and a good gauge for the season.

We should beat Wisconsin and TT. Neither even made the NCAA tournament in 2021. Wisconsin returns basically everyone from last year’s bad team, and TT loses everyone from last year’s awful team. 

The USF game will likely be a toss up if they throw Corrick. She can shutdown good teams and has wins against good opponents in the past. However, they don’t have much else in the circle or at the plate.

I would be very surprised if we beat UCLA or Texas. Both are very good hitting teams. UCLA lost less offensive production from last year’s team, but Texas returns some very good hitters. From a pitching perspective, Faraimo (UCLA) is probably the 2nd / 3rd best pitcher in the country, but the rest of their staff hasn’t been asked to do much in the past. Texas doesn’t have anyone as good as Faraimo, but their two best pitchers (Dolcini and O’Leary) are probably better than UCLA’s number 2. 

Penta, Dismukes, and Yarbrough should be able to handle TT and Wisconsin. I’d definitely throw Lowe against USF to try to get a third win in Clearwater. I am unsure how you handle pitching against UCLA and Texas. I doubt we see either team’s ace in the circle. Do you pitch Lowe against the better #2 pitcher but not as good hitting team (Texas) or do you throw her against the better hitting team who sometimes struggles with lefties but has a little worse #2 (UCLA)? It’ll all depend on early season results and scouting, but as of now, I think you pitch Lowe against Texas then let the other three each see the UCLA lineup once or 2-3 innings max. 

Of course, all will depend on if we are improved at the plate. I have higher expectations than last season, but I think we are still a year away from a run at WCWS with the logjam of COVID players. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Clearwater will likely be the team’s first big test of the year and a good gauge for the season.

We should beat Wisconsin and TT. Neither even made the NCAA tournament in 2021. Wisconsin returns basically everyone from last year’s bad team, and TT loses everyone from last year’s awful team. 

The USF game will likely be a toss up if they throw Corrick. She can shutdown good teams and has wins against good opponents in the past. However, they don’t have much else in the circle or at the plate.

I would be very surprised if we beat UCLA or Texas. Both are very good hitting teams. UCLA lost less offensive production from last year’s team, but Texas returns some very good hitters. From a pitching perspective, Faraimo (UCLA) is probably the 2nd / 3rd best pitcher in the country, but the rest of their staff hasn’t been asked to do much in the past. Texas doesn’t have anyone as good as Faraimo, but their two best pitchers (Dolcini and O’Leary) are probably better than UCLA’s number 2. 

Penta, Dismukes, and Yarbrough should be able to handle TT and Wisconsin. I’d definitely throw Lowe against USF to try to get a third win in Clearwater. I am unsure how you handle pitching against UCLA and Texas. I doubt we see either team’s ace in the circle. Do you pitch Lowe against the better #2 pitcher but not as good hitting team (Texas) or do you throw her against the better hitting team who sometimes struggles with lefties but has a little worse #2 (UCLA)? It’ll all depend on early season results and scouting, but as of now, I think you pitch Lowe against Texas then let the other three each see the UCLA lineup once or 2-3 innings max. 

Of course, all will depend on if we are improved at the plate. I have higher expectations than last season, but I think we are still a year away from a run at WCWS with the logjam of COVID players. 

Texas has to play Florida State before us on Friday, and on Saturday, UCLA has to play Texas later that day. It's possible that AU will face both teams' #2 pitchers since they both have bigger opponents on those days. 

Interesting conversations about AU pitching. Hopefully we will have more save situations this year if the offense is improved so that Penta and Lowe can relieve  each other. They are so different (spinny lefty vs flame throwing righty). 

Corrick is a beast and a true workhorse for USF. She has British heritage and is the ace of the Great Britain national team so she's used to getting the ball almost every game. 

• Love 1

On 11/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, all4AU said:

Texas has to play Florida State before us on Friday, and on Saturday, UCLA has to play Texas later that day. It's possible that AU will face both teams' #2 pitchers since they both have bigger opponents on those days. 

Interesting conversations about AU pitching. Hopefully we will have more save situations this year if the offense is improved so that Penta and Lowe can relieve  each other. They are so different (spinny lefty vs flame throwing righty). 

Corrick is a beast and a true workhorse for USF. She has British heritage and is the ace of the Great Britain national team so she's used to getting the ball almost every game. 

I tend to agree with Lowe getting a nod for UCLA or Texas. Penta will do good throwing the games against mid-majors. Throwing hard and flat does NOT get it done. Liked the pitching and offense in the fall this year.  Didn’t Yarbrough throw against UCLA out in California in 2020 prior to covid...it will probably be Lowe, Yarbrough, Dismukes, Penta ..... IMO

Edited by AU1947
Typo

I didn’t get to watch any games during fall ball, so I can’t comment on how players looked compared to the 2021 season. However, I expect to see improvement from all four pitchers this coming season. The three freshman performed very well last year, especially when you consider the impacts of COVID on rosters. We will still see a few teams with a strong super senior presence, but our pitchers will also have more experience. 

@AU1947 - I also think Penta has the most room for growth based on her potential upside. She struggled mid-season when SEC play started. I speculate she had a scare with a ball almost hitting her around this time because she added a mask and was very jumpy when contact was made. Her mother is her pitching coach, so I imagine they spent a lot of time this summer working on her control, developing her off-speed, and improving her mindset. 

I still think Lowe and Penta will be the top 2 pitchers with Dismukes in the closer role, but Yarbrough is a wildcard to me. If she can return to mid-season 2020 form, she will challenge for starts in the circle. The more Dean can spread out innings across all pitchers, the better chance we have in the postseason. 

But as always, it will come down to if we can score runs to help them. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 4

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball 2022 Schedule and Season Discussion
  • 2 weeks later...

2022 non-conference Softball Schedule:

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/12/10/softball-releases-2022-nonconference-slate.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2bZIUDYa-VhmxIincnVx7TD78hPeLSp0lE_1rElB3R6_7H0hJsN4_946E

We play in the Clearwater Invite Feb 17 - 20.

Edited by slot canyon

9 hours ago, slot canyon said:

In my opinion, it’s a pretty disappointing non-conference schedule. Texas, UCLA, USF, and Kennesaw State are the only non-conference teams on the schedule who made the NCAA tournament last year. SEC play should help with strength of schedule, but we will need to win a few series wins to solidify our spot in the tournament.  

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 2

Agree with JAD003.  Maybe Dean needs a higher win percentage for job security, but I'd like to see at least one series vs.  someone like Louisiana, FSU, James Madison, or a NC game vs. an SEC team we aren't playing this year. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First two games Friday at 2:30 and 5 PM and televised SEC Network+. Forecast looks like mid 60's for first game and in 50's during second game.   Seaton Hall (NJ) plays a 10:30 AM game and St Johns (NY) plays a 12 PM game prior to the games with Auburn.  A quick look at Seaton Hall shows 3 top pitchers with ERAs 5.69, 4.87 and 4.20.  their top hitter had BA .311 with 8 HR with no one else hitting more than 2.  Their record last year was 9 - 23.  St. Johns had a record of 10 - 21 last season.  Thought it interesting that 12 of their 19 players were from California.  Top 3 pitchers had ERA ranging 5.08 - 6.33.  Top BA's .402, .354, .340 and .309.  Two of those had 5 HR's each and a couple of them have been very good at stealing base.  It will be important for our pitching to "neutralize" them.  Two more days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SIAA but what happened to infield signee RYLIE MOODY? She was set to be a freshman but is not on the roster. When I search her on google most everything still references AU.

39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Working the game today, E?

Nope! Gymnastics tonight. Boss needs many more people for arena events.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

SIAA but what happened to infield signee RYLIE MOODY? She was set to be a freshman but is not on the roster. When I search her on google most everything still references AU.

It looks like she left the team between the Fall and Spring semester. There has been no insight from Moody, coaches, or other players into why she left the team, but there could be a number of reasons. Her Instagram now says Atl, so she may have moved back home or plans to enroll at a different school.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

Garcia is starting in RF and Carlee in LF.  I know with such a talented team there will be alot of shuffling around to see what works. 

Packer led off and hit a HR on the 2nd pitch. 

Edited by TD1
  • Like 2

Auburn winning 12-0 over St.John mid 4th. I'll have to watch both games later. But Shelby struck out all but 2 outs so far .. 10.

Edited by AUBwins

Who is 77? She's very tall.  Don't recall seeing that height the last few years. 

Auburn adds a couple more in 4th. Sydney Cox has 3 doubles this game!  Addie Smith (sp?) Looks a bit like Draper up there.  Nice slap over first baseman ended up scoring a run from first with the aggressiveness on the bases.