Softball 2022 Schedule and Season Discussion

3 hours ago, AUlurker said:

I wonder if the nagging injuries with Lowe will make her the closer for us this year, with KK and Penta handling the starting duties.

Definitely makes sense to run it this way a little while until she can heal up.  I wonder how Sam is doing.  

On 3/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, AUBwins said:

Definitely makes sense to run it this way a little while until she can heal up.  I wonder how Sam is doing.  

Word on the street is Sam's got a hurt shoulder from overuse ..... probably won't see her is what I have been told unless they rest it. Sounds a lot like the other pitching injuries...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just noticed that Kentucky has a game tonight (on now) against Oklahoma.  UK defeated alabama 9-4 Sunday, after losing the first two.  Fouts took the loss after going 2 1/3 and giving up 5 runs.  UK is usually a pretty good hitting team, and they still have Kayla Kowalik at catcher, who is a hitting machine.

Jessie Blaine named SEC Freshman of the Week.  Well deserved; I think she had 8 RBI.

Re my earlier post:  OU beat UK 9-1, hit 6 homers.  Alo had two, Brito two, and Elam two.  Elam had 3 homers in her previous game, and homered in her first two ABs against UK, giving her homers in 5 consecutive plate appearances.  Taylon Snow still playing first for the Sooners, leading off and hitting .504 as of tonight.

I miss watching Taylon. I really wish she was happy here at Auburn and stayed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Jessie Blaine named SEC Freshman of the Week.  Well deserved; I think she had 8 RBI.

Re my earlier post:  OU beat UK 9-1, hit 6 homers.  Alo had two, Brito two, and Elam two.  Elam had 3 homers in her previous game, and homered in her first two ABs against UK, giving her homers in 5 consecutive plate appearances.  Taylon Snow still playing first for the Sooners, leading off and hitting .504 as of tonight.

OU is so dominant it is easy not to like them.  They have run-ruled 22 of 25 opponents this season (they are 25-0).  Tennessee appears to have provided the most competitive opposition with a one run loss 9 - 8.  Opponents have scored a total of 23 runs this season. Sure glad they are not part of the SEC.....oh yea, I forgot.  That 5 straight home runs by Elam is just vulgar. Fifteen of their opponents have not scored a run so I assume their pitching is pretty good (understatement).   Suppose I am just jealous.  Notice that UAB has the pleasure of going out and playing them April 1 & 2.

• Like 1

What a turnaround!! Actually best case scenario from what we were hoping would happen this year. 

20 hours ago, AUBwins said:

What a turnaround!! Actually best case scenario from what we were hoping would happen this year. 

It really is. The ESPN announcers were talking about it during the SC series but we were so abysmal at the plate last year, this turnaround has been great to see. Especially considering it's mostly freshman and sophomores. 

• Like 1

Dean has definitely built a strong team this year and will hopefully continue to build a sustainable program. It would be nice to see us get to Supers this year and the WCWS within the next 2 - 3 years.

Dean seems to have an eye for good talent and an idea on how to improve his problems. Someone on AU247 pointed out that JMU currently has a losing record. They have a hard schedule and are young, but the 5th year seniors, who were recruited by Dean, have also graduated. It’s an interesting note. 

10 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Dean has definitely built a strong team this year and will hopefully continue to build a sustainable program. It would be nice to see us get to Supers this year and the WCWS within the next 2 - 3 years.

Dean seems to have an eye for good talent and an idea on how to improve his problems. Someone on AU247 pointed out that JMU currently has a losing record. They have a hard schedule and are young, but the 5th year seniors, who were recruited by Dean, have also graduated. It’s an interesting note. 

Yep, LaPorte doesn't have Dean's recruits at JMU any longer. Our current freshman and sophomores were loaded recruiting classes, and the dividends are starting to pay off. Next year's incoming freshman are a fantastic class as well. Future certainly looks bright!

• Like 4

That is horrible news, she was enjoying the season so much, as well as having outstanding performance.  Hope she can make a complete recovery and return to the team next year.  Heart thoughts going to her.

This probably means that Cox will return to second.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TD1 said:

I saw on Denver's IG that she will be out for the season due to a torn ACL. 

Dang.  She was having a career year.  When did she hurt it? 

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I believe it was Friday's game against Kentucky. 

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Game one of Kentucky game.  Non-contact injury happened during a run down between 2nd base and 3rd base. She was chasing the runner from 2nd base  and had just released the throw to the AU defensive player chasing the runner back to 2nd (got the out).  No cut or pivot observed from my recall.  She immediately went to the ground.  Tough break for her.  She had really upped her game this year.

Big loss for this team. She was having a great year at the plate with a good bit of power. ACL recovery takes a while, so hopefully she can return healthy next year.

I’ll be interested to see how the team responds this weekend and how all the positions shake out. Cox is obviously a candidate at 2B, but I think McCondichie, Peralta, and McNemar are also options if she continues to struggle. There will be a few moving pieces, but we will definitely need a strong hitter to replace Bryant. 

The only silver lining is Lowe had a great outing against Kentucky despite the loss. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Big loss for this team. She was having a great year at the plate with a good bit of power. ACL recovery takes a while, so hopefully she can return healthy next year.

I’ll be interested to see how the team responds this weekend and how all the positions shake out. Cox is obviously a candidate at 2B, but I think McCondichie, Peralta, and McNemar are also options if she continues to struggle. There will be a few moving pieces, but we will definitely need a strong hitter to replace Bryant. 

The only silver lining is Lowe had a great outing against Kentucky despite the loss. 

Agreed, bring McConditchie or Garcia back to 2nd and use Smith, Falisi, or Geraghty for the outfield. Also when they zoomed in on Lowe's face in the 3rd and 4th she looked like she was in a lot of pain. Her eyes looked like she had been crying.  Losing Bryant's bat will hurt. And Cox had too many errors.... I believe it was 5 or 6.. 

1 hour ago, AU1947 said:

Agreed, bring McConditchie or Garcia back to 2nd and use Smith, Falisi, or Geraghty for the outfield. Also when they zoomed in on Lowe's face in the 3rd and 4th she looked like she was in a lot of pain. Her eyes looked like she had been crying.  Losing Bryant's bat will hurt. And Cox had too many errors.... I believe it was 5 or 6.. 

You could try to move the infield around a bit. Put Cox at 3rd, Peralta back at SS and Roach at 2nd. I would also put Lisenby behind the plate or at least give her 2 of 3 games a weekend.