What's the approach now?

AUght2win

On 11/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, Gowebb11 said:

I agree on the patience part. Obviously we’re all hoping for a late surge for 2022. What I’m hopeful about though is the potential for the 2023 class. The number of visits from high profile recruits we’ve gotten from that class is super impressive. 

That means we will have to wait for roughly the 2025 season before we start to see the results with some wins on the field? I'm not that patient.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That means we will have to wait for roughly the 2025 season before we start to see the results with some wins on the field? I'm not that patient.

That’s not what it means at all. We’ve had wins in the field this year including against some ranked teams. 2023 is the first recruiting cycle where we can reasonably expect a Top 10 class based on coach/recruit relationships. Until then it’s develop what we’ve got and the transfer portal. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s not what it means at all. We’ve had wins in the field this year including against some ranked teams. 2023 is the first recruiting cycle where we can reasonably expect a Top 10 class based on coach/recruit relationships. Until then it’s develop what we’ve got and the transfer portal. 

The transfer portal aspect is so underrated in its usefulness for a new coaching staff.  When done right, you get results like Michigan State this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The transfer portal aspect is so underrated in its usefulness for a new coaching staff.  When done right, you get results like Michigan State this year.

Yep, they brought in like 15 players through the portal and also required at least that many to leave.

• Like 1

If I were part of this staff, I would be pushing for a commit from someone real soon, the higher profile the better. We need some momentum back after yesterday. 

• Like 1

At this point I will take a few Burger King bags with the extra cheddar... Seriously, it's time we fight fire with fire. The NCAA is toothless and NIL has opened the door for D1 football to become NFL-lite. If we want to get on Bama and Georgia's level, we got to play at their level.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agree. This season seems heading towards 6-6. Next year is a wildcard.No way Auburn should’ve go  less than 8-4 this year.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, 80Tiger said:

It used to be in recruiting that the big dogs walked late. That no longer seems to be the process. Most of the big talent seems to get locked down a lot earlier. If we are heading into signing day banking on de-commits and flips, I am concerned we will be on the outside looking in.

Early signing day in December had a major impact on recruiting.  And we knew this would happen, the big dogs have to claim their spot on a roster 2 months earlier or stand a chance of being left out of elite teams if they wait to sign in February.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

This is what we are up against… and they are behind Uga and Uat… which means we play all of these teams. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32643876/texas-aggies-add-rb-leveon-moss-strong-college-football-recruiting-class

Yep, if Florida ever finds a killer recruiter HC down there again things will get even tougher.  Who knoww what  Heupel will do at UT?  Add Oklahoma & Texas in 2023 and that kicks recruiting up a notch or two harder.  It makes for an up hill battle, and when a team loses traction in recruiting for even 1 year, but it they get behind 2 yrs in a row it can be devastating when this conference has the nations top recruiters killing it year after year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

This is what we are up against… and they are behind Uga and Uat… which means we play all of these teams. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32643876/texas-aggies-add-rb-leveon-moss-strong-college-football-recruiting-class

The good news is that 3 or 4 years ago they were exactly where we are now. And they are just a couple of years removed from a Fire Jimbo campaign after losing to LSU 50-7. We have to keep grinding on the recruiting trail. Theres a lot to sell at AU and the opening the Football Performance facility next fall can only help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Yep, if Florida ever finds a killer recruiter HC down there again things will get even tougher.  Who knoww what  Heupel will do at UT?  Add Oklahoma & Texas in 2023 and that kicks recruiting up a notch or two harder.  It makes for an up hill battle, and when a team loses traction in recruiting for even 1 year, but it they get behind 2 yrs in a row it can be devastating when this conference has the nations top recruiters killing it year after year.  

Oh for gods sake, we’re being out recruited by Arkansas, South Carolina and Mississippi State. We can and should be above their level.

Still, remind me why people want us playing Georgia every year? At least we likely won’t have to play the Aggies every year soon.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Oh for gods sake, we’re being out recruited by Arkansas, South Carolina and Mississippi State. We can and should be above their level.

Still, remind me why people want us playing Georgia every year? At least we likely won’t have to play the Aggies every year soon.

Sad but true.

Auburn is on the cusp of being Kentucky in Football. Get ready for it. 

43 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn is on the cusp of being Kentucky in Football. Get ready for it. 

And how many years of “being Kentucky” would be tolerated? Arkansas, Kentucky, and the Misses actually have good coaches right now…certainly we can too if Harsin isn’t the answer?

Edited by AUwent

58 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And how many years of “being Kentucky” would be tolerated? Arkansas, Kentucky, and the Misses actually have good coaches right now…certainly we can too if Harsin isn’t the answer?

None of those coaches were thought to be high value coaches at the time of their hiring. Each one has worked themselves into positive position ( mostly due to this year results).

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

None of those coaches were thought to be high value coaches at the time of their hiring. Each one has worked themselves into positive position ( mostly due to this year results).

Leach and Kiffin were considered catches. I would’ve loved LK (sans concerns that USCw would give him another try once Helton was inevitably fired).

Edited by AUwent

On 11/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, ScotsAU said:

Not gonna happen in year 1. 

On 11/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, AUwent said:

2001--7

2007--9

2010--6

2011--5

2013--10

2014--6

2015--8

2016--9

2017--9

2020--7

Need one next year to make up for '21 and '22, or else we will REALLY feel it. Look what happened last Saturday.

On 11/11/2021 at 5:16 AM, AUwent said:

- Saban's first class was #3, and Bama was a dumpster fire that had been irrelevant for a decade.

jeesuz do you not realize his first class was bought and paid for ? once he got the nfl pipeline established he was able to call off the dogs so to speak and let the drafts sell the program. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Leach and Kiffin were considered catches.

That depended greatly on who you were listening to. Many that I heard thought that Leaches offense was a gimmick that would never work in SEC due to our superior speed. Also thought his quirkiness would prevent him from recruiting well. What I heard on Kiffin was that he was a great play caller but thought he was a sleeve that wouldn’t last bc he would not stay at a Miss school.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

That depended greatly on who you were listening to. Many that I heard thought that Leaches offense was a gimmick that would never work in SEC due to our superior speed. Also thought his quirkiness would prevent him from recruiting well. What I heard on Kiffin was that he was a great play caller but thought he was a sleeve that wouldn’t last bc he would not stay at a Miss school.

Well, admittedly we ARE ahead of OM in the recruiting rankings. So it is surprising that they’re that low, I will admit. But they could possibly win 11 games this season.

Edited by AUwent

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Leach and Kiffin were considered catches.

They were very available before the Miss schools got them. Odd they lasted that long if truly thought to be “catches”. Most I remember thought they were taking quite a chance hiring them both.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

They were very available before the Miss schools got them. Odd they lasted that long if truly thought to be “catches”. Most I remember thought they were taking quite a chance hiring them both.

I do agree they are both good coaches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, admittedly we ARE ahead of OM in the recruiting rankings. So it is surprising that they’re that low, I will admit. But they could possibly win 11 games this season.

Always with the negative waves went we can depend on you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Always with the negative waves went we can depend on you.

At least I know where your profile pic is from now?

I would love to have some news to be positive about rn.

Edited by AUwent

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

At least I know where your profile pic is from now?

I would love to have some news to be positive about rn.

Yep oddball is my hero positive waves will come I've been thru recruiting for over 50 years was recruitied by the bear way back went..............patience

• Like 2