What's the approach now?

AUght2win

40 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep oddball is my hero positive waves will come I've been thru recruiting for over 50 years was recruitied by the bear way back went..............patience

You say PATIENCE???  You're asking way too much of many Auburn fans.  It' apparently makes them feel better to criticize Auburn  coaches, even though the new coach inherited a dumpster fire.  And as far as being Kentucky, had Gus stayed we would soon have been the Vandy of the SEC West.  But I'm like you.  Older and I hope a bit wiser.  I've seen it all since Shug roamed the sidelines and we're not in as bad of shape as some would think.  I see light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tinman said:

You say PATIENCE???  You're asking way too much of many Auburn fans.  It' apparently makes them feel better to criticize Auburn  coaches, even though the new coach inherited a dumpster fire.  And as far as being Kentucky, had Gus stayed we would soon have been the Vandy of the SEC West.  But I'm like you.  Older and I hope a bit wiser.  I've seen it all since Shug roamed the sidelines and we're not in as bad of shape as some would think.  I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Gus didn't leave us in good shape but it also isn't a dumpster fire. Not even close. You're very literally calling the likes of Tank, Zakoby, Pappoe, McCreary, Nix, Wooden, Monday "trash". It's okay to be glad Gus is gone and also hold the new coaches accountable for their failure Saturday. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus didn't leave us in good shape but it also isn't a dumpster fire. Not even close. You're very literally calling the likes of Tank, Zakoby, Pappoe, McCreary, Nix, Wooden, Monday "trash". It's okay to be glad Gus is gone and also hold the new coaches accountable for their failure Saturday. 

In no way am I calling out the players.  Gus left us with no depth to speak of.  In the SEC you win up front, and this is where we are so lacking in quality players and depth. The overall state of the program, in comparison to our peers, particularly our two main foes (Ga & bama) is not good.  Maybe dumpster fire is harsh.  I'll just call it a waste basket fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aucater said:

jeesuz do you not realize his first class was bought and paid for ? once he got the nfl pipeline established he was able to call off the dogs so to speak and let the drafts sell the program. 

100% fact

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinman said:

In no way am I calling out the players.  Gus left us with no depth to speak of.  In the SEC you win up front, and this is where we are so lacking in quality players and depth. The overall state of the program, in comparison to our peers, particularly our two main foes (Ga & bama) is not good.  Maybe dumpster fire is harsh.  I'll just call it a waste basket fire.

You were right the first time it was a dumpster fire.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You were right the first time it was a dumpster fire.

Yep, we'd only be at 3-4 total wins with one possible SEC win if GM was running this team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yep, we'd only be at 3-4 total wins with one possible SEC win if GM was running this team.

You only say that because Arky, Ole Miss, and MSU are all substantially better and LSU is the same level of bad as last year. You are not supposed to acknowledge this when making this comparison 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

You only say that because Arky, Ole Miss, and MSU are all substantially better and LSU is the same level of bad as last year. You are not supposed to acknowledge this when making this comparison 

Arkansas was the only game I was willing to give a possible W for just because we know how Gus viewed that game. Truth is Barry Odom would've kicked his dog, kissed his wife, and stolen his lunch money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Truth is Barry Odom would've kicked his dog, kissed his wife, and stolen his lunch money.

In that order goodness..........

I would have  kissed his wife, stolen his lunch money, then kicked the dog

• Love 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You lost me at Monday.   

14 hours ago, tinman said:

Last year AU played 10 "big games" in the regular season and finished 6-4. This year we have played 7 big games and are 3-4. With mostly these same players, AU beat MSU the two previous years and lost to them this year. How is this an improvement over Gus?

I agree that a change was needed, but saying things are better right now than they were in the recent past is clearly not true.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

In that order goodness..........

I would have  kissed his wife, stolen his lunch money, then kicked the dog

That's basically what Gus did to Leath.

• Haha 2

So much changing about the game it is hard to determine what next year holds, never mind 3-4 years out.   NIL, realignment of conferences, expanded playoff, etc...  We just need to hope that CBH is the guy that can manage that.  

There are several positions on the field that can yield great results with lower star ranked players.  It is my opinion that both lines and QB seem to be the areas where the higher the star rankings the more success you have as a program (that's the trend so please spare the onslaught of players who were lower ranked yet achieved great success).  It is pretty clear that we need more OL for this class if we close with 2-3 more well thought of players on OL either through high school or the portal I will feel like this year's class is a success assuming we keep everyone already committed and keep the guys on the current roster we want to keep.   Beyond that if we are top 15 each year in recruiting we can compete for championships assuming we are getting the highly rated QB, OL, and DL.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Last year AU played 10 "big games" in the regular season and finished 6-4. This year we have played 7 big games and are 3-4. With mostly these same players, AU beat MSU the two previous years and lost to them this year. How is this an improvement over Gus?

I agree that a change was needed, but saying things are better right now than they were in the recent past is clearly not true.

You don’t think that MSU is a better team this year compared to last (along with OM and Arky)? Just because AU changed doesn’t mean everything else was static. You’re a smart guy, you know this. Since the analogy has been used in other ways…..this is like saying Bammer in 2007 was no better off than 2006 because the records were the same. We know how that has turned out. Not making these situations an equivalent but I think the point is a valid one

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Again you do your 'own' math. Understood.

Many of those 'other' SEC games we had to play turned out those team were avg to below avg teams, We beat those teams. We didn't beat the teams that were equal to or better than us.

Now to this year. We beat an avg LSU team(but on the road)which we had done in how many years( and some of those LSU was not good too).

We beat a very good MIss team. We SHOULD have beaten a much better MSU team. So we lost to GA who everyone is losing to and a PEnn St team that was playing well at the time, and we took it down to the end. 

So regardless of the comparing the records, what we did succeed in doing is:

1. Helping Bo bc a better QB. Would have been his best year ever.

2. The offense was much more balanced and the schemes much better at being successful. And that is with inexperienced WRs, the same avg OL.

3. the only area I think we didn't stay the same or improve was the Defense, and that could be bc the new style of D brought in, the lack of a strong DL, and backups, weaker pass rushing.

I Do agree with you in your response that Gus' team would not have driven us to Vandy level, but what I wanted, and seem to be getting is a better offensive plan, and a culture that is mentally strong.

We have no results yet on recruiting, and building a stronger team moving forward, so it is an ongoing eval of Harsin and company.

21 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I agree it was not a dumpster fire nobody is saying there are no good players on the team. The problem is of the players you mentioned only Wooden is an in the trenches type player. In the SEC if you lose the trenches you lose the game probably about 90% of the time. Your own list doesn't have one O-Line player.  If you watched the games this year when O-Line did well we did well.1st half against Miss State Bo had great pockets and RB's had some room we looked good second half D-Line due to lack of depth ran out of steam (partly due to lack of rotation) and O-line was no place near as solid so we looked bad. 

The good teams not only have a good starting unit in the trenches but depth behind them. On D the good teams rotate the D-Line as much as possible to keep players fresh. Either due to lack of depth or Mason philosophy or combination of both this year we don't rotate much on the D-Line.  

Could we have hired a re-tread coach who has ties to this area hence some relationships built and probably have a better class this year? Yes, but would we have gotten somebody who wanted to change the culture and who had a vision.  

I lay a lot of the Miss. State crash and burn on the coaches they didn't adjust to the adjustments Miss. State made but when looking at Harsin I am trying to see the whole picture. The things that has impressed me the most about Harsin is the things that I think will have a long term impact. 

1. Recognizing how important Recruiting is and putting together a true backend recruiting staff instead of only relying on the coaches. - We have probably doubled our backend staff so more people are analyzing more players hence broadening area we can recruit for specific players. - This bears fruit down the road.

2. Requiring players to be accountable - on time to practice and meetings, 100% effort at practice, go to class, keep grades up. (Translation changing the culture) - This takes time and need your own players.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

1) I think even you can admit that there were two games last year that we should not have won but were gifted by the refs. Of course being an Auburn fan I do not care if every game is a gift.

2) Every team that we have played this year is better than last year other than LSU. I would say that we are not better due to the lack of talent and learning a new system. So I would agree with you that things are not better at Auburn right now. They are pretty much the same as they have been for the last several years. Mediocre.

3) I still have high hopes for Harsin, but I will admit that the Mississippi State game was an eye opener in a bad way, and the way we are recruiting is bothersome. The way other teams are recruiting, we are going to get our brains beat in if we do not bring in a good class in 2022 because the last coach left us with nothing and we have no depth.   Right now we are way way way behind.

Yes I agree that we need to be patient, but being patient also requires bringing in talent and watching us grow into a program. 

55 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's after Sunday and before Tuesday. Bonehead.

Yesterday was Thursday, today it is Friday...tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes afterwaaaaaaards...

Edited by AUwent

AU is spending MEGA dollars on a facility that is focused on player development, strength/conditioning, and recruiting. I would imagine in the future, once the facility is completed, if our HC does not excel in these areas then there is something truly wrong and the individual is gone. Done deal. 

Excuses can be made in the current environment but when the ribbon is cut, the expectations are sky high. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, fredst said:

You don’t think that MSU is a better team this year compared to last (along with OM and Arky)?

Yes, they are better. Auburn should be better too. We lost the fewest players to graduation and dropouts that I can remember. The returners are a year older and more experienced. Then there's the coaching, which should have gone from a staff that was back-stabbing each other to one that should be all on the same page.

If those other teams improved, we should have improved right along with them, if not more.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Love you Bird, but there is zero evidence to support this. Maybe you are being hyperbolic. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, they are better. Auburn should be better too. We lost the fewest players to graduation and dropouts that I can remember. The returners are a year older and more experienced. Then there's the coaching, which should have gone from a staff that was back-stabbing each other to one that should be all on the same page.

If those other teams improved, we should have improved right along with them, if not more.

Except we lost Schwartz, Stove, and Williams. All of whom significantly controbuted to Gus’ 6 big wins. Think ab it this way- if Gus didnt have Seth last year what would the record have been? We lost key contributors and key recruits between November and Harsin being hired. Its not the same. You cant compare it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1