Auburn vs miss state post game

Maverick.AU

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You are. We are not talking about year 5 anyway. Harsin is not at year 5 so how could that even be a comparison?  I'm saying we have another coach in training and it's no different this time. New coaches almost never come in with a full roster of talented players in college football. Gus did not have that luxury either. All teams have to adjust to new schemes and philosophies during a coaching change. That's not unique here. You cannot seriously believe that Harsin is ready at this point for what it takes to win in the SEC. It's obvious he needs to adjust as much as the team has to adjust. He also better have cutthroat recruiting instincts right now because nothing will get better if he can't bring in big talent. The question is still the same one....can Harsin put it together better and faster than Gus was able to do starting out as a coach with no SEC experience? This was clearly not a lateral move here.

How much patience will we have for Harsin? 3 years? 5 years? 

Explain to me how I'm being hypocritical when I never once said on this board that Gus was learning on the job.

I'll wait.

And by the way, the majority of the 2013 team's offense was recruited by Gus when he was OC.  There was such a small learning curve to be had.  Its just a wildly different situation.

Harsin boned today's game.  No argument there.  But my God the situations couldn't be any more different.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

I waited for a while to calm down before commenting. In the first half when O-Line was giving Bo a great pocket and when Bobo was mixing up plays Bo looked like an all American QB. We also finally found a deep threat in Johnson. If first half when the D-Line was fresh the three man rush worked because the QB had to get rid of ball quickly. DB's can only cover a receiver for a limited amount of time before receiver will win.  Mason did very limited rotation of  D-Line. In second half there was no pressure on QB he waited till players got open for easy completions. Lack of rush because of lack of rotation and Mason never getting away from 3 man rush. 

Rogers looked like superman in second half just like Bo did in 1st half and for same reason great pockets and no pressure. In second half Bobo went away from what worked in 1st half. Mid range passes 10-20 yard passes over the middle. He also got conservative and 1st down run 2nd down run at tackle even if box was stacked.

Leach's offense is the ideal offense against a bend don't break defense  as it wears out the defense especially if you don't rotate on defense. Today would have been a great time to get Hunter and Robinson in as they have been practicing all year and would have been fresh body's.  

Most of the pass interference calls that went against us were legitimate the targeting on Smoke was a bad call. He hit him with his chest not his helmet that would have been 3rd and long and we might have had a stop,  When Finley came in late for a hurt Bo I know why even when Bo isn't playing well they don't bring him in. Any rush and he is in trouble. I understand why the brought Finley in instead of DD they need a big gain quick and Finley has the arm.  

All year I have been against the three man rush no pressure on QB defense but to be honest the results looked good in most games and after the games based on the points allowed Mason looked good. Today it caught up with Mason. 

When Troxell got hurt Zierer came in. This and the time he started were 1st times I really have seen him. He looked good on pass blocking by the time he came in we didn't have time to run.  I hope he has not used up his Redshirt/Covid year and he can play for 2 years as we will need OT's next year.

I think coaching was the difference in this game, they adjusted we didn't and we went into a shell on O in 2nd half. I hope Bo is ok and can  play next week if not it is time to see what DD can do.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That is a bit of revisionist history.  We have problems today and some of those are the result of failings on the part of the prior staff, but your first sentence is comical given the fact that the program was in the basement of hell when he took over and he immediately restored our credibility.

We also started going downhill in many ways after 13. It goes both ways. After we lost our big guys on OL we never recovered. We had a coaching carousel at OC and OL coach. Couldn't overcome it. Couldnt make adjustments and couldn't change habits to not be predictable. We were always inconsistent. You never knew who was going to show up. And that is still the case now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, au302 said:

No excuse for today. I think he needs a chance to get his players in, especially on offense. We are very poor at line, receiver, and Qb. I don't see how Gus doesn't deserve blame there, as he was the one in charge of recruiting and development. Harsin will bring in his guys. Hopefully for everyones sake they develop, but if not, he'll be fired and we'll hope the next coach can turn it around

Because as much as some of you hate it.....Gus was not in charge of game planning and prep, and he did not make any of the coaching decisions today. Not all of the players are Gus recruits. No one allowed those excuses for Gus and they should not be allowed for Harsin. 

The best example is Bruce Pearl's magnificent coaching job in 2015, especially in the SEC tournament. Great coaches can overcome deficiencies when they believe it can be done, and when they plan around the weak spots. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

We got to eat the L. Miss state rallied and came back . Kudos to the pirate .

man I can’t wait to see the fights that are about to occur. Everyone stay safe. It’s going to be interesting what the coaching staff will do going forward. Unfortunately wasn’t able to see the game. 

i will post the game for you when it makes it to youtube.sometimes with a loss it takes a couple of days.

When we were up 28-3 we somehow went into "don't lose the game" vs. "trying to win the game" mode. Miss State definitely switched into the latter. 2nd half was an ugly collapse. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

As it should be. My gosh at this point I just want CBH to bring his own core in. Recruiting isn’t the greatest and now we are struggling in the second half. Something needs to change immediately. I am not off his bandwagon but things just seem to be off 

He's got a good Boise core right now. Most coaches go places and upgrade from lower level talent. I'm not sure I totally buy him needing Boise guys.

To me that's an excuse for him making bad hires.

But, if he does it'll either be sink or swim...and sinking will be fast if it happens. I want to give him time, but his buyout isn't much and after year 3 he'll be on the hot seat big time

I hope it doesn't get to that

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That is a bit of revisionist history.  We have problems today and some of those are the result of failings on the part of the prior staff, but your first sentence is comical given the fact that the program was in the basement of hell when he took over and he immediately restored our credibility.

So, Gus "restored" Auburns place in the SEC.. hmmm..  sadly comical was Gus's record on the road vs the rest of the SEC. So Gus supporters revising what all he did for Aubie. He won early with Chizik's recruits. He couldn't coach up what he recruited and now the leftovers remain.

9 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

When we were up 28-3 we somehow went into "don't lose the game" vs. "trying to win the game" mode. Miss State definitely switched into the latter. 2nd half was an ugly collapse. 

Unfortunately that's something we've done for years.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

As it should be. My gosh at this point I just want CBH to bring his own core in. Recruiting isn’t the greatest and now we are struggling in the second half. Something needs to change immediately. I am not off his bandwagon but things just seem to be off 

I am on the Harsin bandwagon for at least 3 years. I think the Great Little Nickie went 6-6 his first year.  I do not like Mason after today. Any coach that is getting run over with his defense and refuses to make adjustments needs to go. I like Bobo's basic offensive philosophy until we get inside the 20, then seems like he makes bone Headed play calls. Our O Line is slightly better than last year, but is still slightly better Trash.

And for the love, Bo has heart, but I believe he has hit his ceiling. He just can't control his motor and just when you think his mechanics are fixed, he resorts back to bad habits when he gets flustered. If he is our starting QB in 2022 you will see a grown man cry.   

I personally want to give BH 2 more years to right the ship, then reevaluate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think the Great Little Nickie went 6-6 his first year.    

This is why I probably would be over today already if we were even in the top 20 in recruiting rankings. And I think this is an entirely fair timeframe.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I am on the Harsin bandwagon for at least 3 years. I think the Great Little Nickie went 6-6 his first year.  I do not like Mason after today. Any coach that is getting run over with his defense and refuses to make adjustments needs to go. I like Bobo's basic offensive philosophy until we get inside the 20, then seems like he makes bone Headed play calls. Our O Line is slightly better than last year, but is still slightly better Trash.

And for the love, Bo has heart, but I believe he has hit his ceiling. He just can't control his motor and just when you think his mechanics are fixed, he resorts back to bad habits when he gets flustered. If he is our starting QB in 2022 you will see a grown man cry.   

You should stock up on the tissue.  Just sayin….

3 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

You should stock up on the tissue.  Just sayin….

Send me some please

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Birmingham here we come!

I think we are battling USCEast next Saturday for the honor.

2 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

So, Gus "restored" Auburns place in the SEC.. hmmm..  sadly comical was Gus's record on the road vs the rest of the SEC. So Gus supporters revising what all he did for Aubie. He won early with Chizik's recruits. He couldn't coach up what he recruited and now the leftovers remain.

Are we doing the Gus thing again. Most of those players Gus recruited as well. He didn’t coach up what he recruited but that goes to show u with good recruiting u can win with bad coaching. If only he had evolved 

12 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

Disagree.   We drove down the field and was in great position to score right before halftime.   Had a bad snap and Brahm got whipped on a block resulting in a sack.   3rd down play was a horrible pass to a crossing #0 that resulted in an incompletion.   4th down fg attempt that was missed.   2nd half defense was awful.   Offense had its problems but did get in fg range and scored a touchdown.     I think scoring 10 points in the 2nd half should have been enough to get the w

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Not football but that Final Four loss will always be the worst for me.

DO NOT get me started on this one! The second worst call of the game was just before halftime when the Virginia guy had both feet out of bounds and scored a bucket underneath at the buzzer. Nothing controversial would have matter if they don't have the two there. But the non double dribble? I didn't watch a second of the "championship" game. Sorry. It still doesn't take much to get me pissed about that game. Back to football.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think we are battling USCEast next Saturday for the honor.

IDK. It is within the realm of possibility that all public schools in the SEC go bowling. NY6 will pick three teams, then Citrus, then pool of six...so that would leave Birmingham, Independence and one other spot. Gasparilla maybe?

Edited by AUwent

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Disagree.   We drove down the field and was in great position to score right before halftime.   Had a bad snap and Brahm got whipped on a block resulting in a sack.   3rd down play was a horrible pass to a crossing #0 that resulted in an incompletion.   4th down fg attempt that was missed.   2nd half defense was awful.   Offense had its problems but did get in fg range and scored a touchdown.     I think scoring 10 points in the 2nd half should have been enough to get the w

these type of games are full of "should have" moments

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

IDK. It is within the realm of possibility that all public schools in the SEC go bowling. NY6 will pick three teams, then Citrus, then pool of six...so that would leave Birmingham, Independence and one other spot. Gasparilla maybe?

Any of those are disappointing considering what we had in our reach today and screwed the pooch.

I’m still scratching my head trying to figure how this coaching staff and team gave up a 25 point lead, allowed 40 unanswered points, and found a way to lose to an eccentric borderline nutcase of a head coach with inferior talent.  We kissed any hope of being in sunny Florida on New Year’s Day goodbye, USCe isn’t a sure fired win, and we’re headed to a crappy December bowl!  Bo Nix is a good kid but IMO he’s not the answer.  I hope this staff and team savors the bitter taste of this embarrassing performance for some time to come, because they earned it!  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Any of those are disappointing considering what we had in our reach today and screwed the pooch.

A win over USCe would probably land us in the Pool of Six. Can CBH at least get the guys motivated next week? USCe is probably going to lose handily to Missouri so they may still be who we thought they were but they'll be fighting for bowl eligibility so methinks they'll be very motivated.

Edited by AUwent

This was one of the most embarrassing losses I’ve seen in a while. The whole coaching staff should be ashamed. This was a total team loss.

With that being said, the poor ref quality has really started to sour me on watching this sport anymore. It’s absolutely horrendous. The refs are too swayed by the momentum and emotions of the game to call it fair. That targeting call on TD was horsesh*t, and I’m tired of seeing refs be able to swing whole outcomes of games with that damn penalty.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Thanks 1