Students leaving at halftime

tgrogan21

Out of likes but I agree- I was at the game and a lot of students as well as others left early- I think the defense in particular could have used the energy from a full stadium. A perfect day for football-I felt bad for the team and this was before state took the lead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wde21 said:

Out of likes but I agree- I was at the game and a lot of students as well as others left early- I think the defense in particular could have used the energy from a full stadium. A perfect day for football-I felt bad for the team and this was before state took the lead.

Like!!!

36 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

You really don't think it matters? Students are the lifeblood of the stadium and the noise. Having them leave (plus a lot of other people) made the stadium dead quiet. State didn't have to worry about any noise

After the 6:10 left in the second quarter not much to make a noise about. Initial crowd size was great. Son pointed out that a lot of students had left or perhaps shifted to sun blessed areas of the stadium. 

One thing they don’t really display is that a lot of people leave at halftime at every game. A lot of people leave at the first quarter of every game (frat/sorority specifically). And I highly doubt this was a full student section from the jump. 

There was a ton who left the Ole Miss game early, for example. And that was one of the reportedly livest crowds that players have experienced. Outside of the big 2, or some insanely good matchup, there’s alot of student attrition. Usually they find ways to fill the spots or display what they need to display on the broadcast 

• Like 1

Always big 11 am attrition especially. And thats how it is for all SEC schools, incl across the state 

There’s been an attendance and retention issue for CFB for over half a decade. Maybe that doesn’t absolve that tweet but it isn’t just us 

There’s also a clear duration problem with CFB games that is remarked upon by fans of other sports. I just don’t think the presentation of the game has kept up with the times, even though I myself can tolerate 3 1/2-4 hours of it. I am just speaking from the target demographic of the tweet and giving their POVs

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

This is an absolute disgrace! The loss wasn't on the fans or the students but to leave the game at halftime is absolutely ridiculous. It's a bad look and it pisses me off.

An even worse look was the student-athletes on the field who did the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Didn't say it was. I even mentioned in my OP that it wasn't why we lost.

Doesn't mean this isn't a bad look but guess you're okay with that.

Our QB even mentioned it in post game how the crowd leaving sucked the life out of the stadium. If you don't think the other players noticed you're kidding yourself. Sports are all about the energy the crowd gives the home team. Our students quit on the team.

Nope. BS. I was there till the bitter end. That crowd got louder for the defense in the 2nd half than they were at any point in the first half. Didn’t matter. Defense gave up scores on every single possession except when it wasnt necessary for MSU to score. Crowd had nothing to do with it. Shouldn’t have anything to do with it either. Did Auburn need a full house for 4 quarters to beat ASU? 

It was a weird game from the jump.   11 AM.   Wind was blowing and the west lower section was in the shade until midway 3rd q. Our flyover was 2 A-10s that you could hardly even hear (bless the pilots -- one was an AU grad with 2 kids at AU).   The 1st q lasted 55 minutes.  The 2nd q lasted 45 minutes.    We recognized just 1 former AU player -- Willie Anderson -- the same number of drug dogs we recognized.  At the half, I was ready to go and AU football is basically my only hobby.  

A few things. The weather was not pleasant. A swirling breeze constantly throughout the stadium, mostly shade in the student section, which makes a big difference. I was in section 27. We did not get any sun until the 4th quarter. The section that left was in the shade for the entire game. As a student, they would rather go home, get drunk, and watch the game in more comfortable conditions. The game was an 18 point game at the half, and that section of the stadium filled up last before the game started. If you have to rely on the student section to carry the energy and noise while the rest of the stadium sits on their ass, then we have bigger problems with those that show up.

I left 1 game at half time because my GF at the time was having an allergic reaction so i had to take her back to her dorm.   It was the 2006 Auburn win vs LSU.   I didnt end up marrying her but im still bitter i had to leave such a close game. 

I left an Arkansas game because I was tired of watching them beat the dogshit out of us and I had a 3 hour drive home. Will do it again under like circumstances and cold-cock any arrogant SOB who says anything to me about it as I’m leaving.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate to see it but it happens at every SEC school now. Not a dang thing you can do about it. 

Yep. New normal 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It was really bad. What tf better is there to do in Auburn, Alabama at noon in November than watch the rest of the football game? 

What were these people leaving to do? Hit up the Opelika Mall?

This sounds exactly like something I would say LOL!

6 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I left an Arkansas game because I was tired of watching them beat the dogshit out of us and I had a 3 hour drive home. Will do it again under like circumstances and cold-cock any arrogant SOB who says anything to me about it as I’m leaving.

The only time I have ever left an Auburn Game was against LSU in the "Interception Game" in 1994.  I ended up watching them win in the student center. 

1 minute ago, AUwartigerAU said:

The only time I have ever left an Auburn Game was against LSU in the "Interception Game" in 1994.  I ended up watching them win in the student center. 

I was there and thankfully didn’t leave. Sure thought about it ‘cause it was muggy as heck.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I was there and thankfully didn’t leave. Sure thought about it ‘cause it was muggy as heck.

I was pissed at half time of that game.  But MSU just did to us what AU did to LSU in 1994.  This loss tonight stings. I havent seen AU below to many 25-point leads. 

2 minutes ago, AUwartigerAU said:

I was pissed at half time of that game.  But MSU just did to us what AU did to LSU in 1994.  This loss tonight stings. I havent seen AU below to many 25-point leads. 

They never have before. 63-0 with at least a 23 point lead. A historical fail.

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

They never have before. 63-0 with at least a 23 point lead. A historical fail.

Oh boy. Thats bad for Hars then.  I like Hars and i think he has some grit about him but this loss like you said, wont be for gotten for a while. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

I went to the game today and sat in the upper deck, Section 113. Maybe it was just me, having missed going to a game last year, or maybe it was the chill of the weather (not trying to make excuses) but for a near sellout, the stadium seemed eerily quiet to me, even when we went up 28-3. The fact that Auburn could do hardly no wrong to that point and State couldn’t do anything at all compounded the strange feeling. I would be interested if anyone else in attendance had the same outlook. 

Also, being a Falcons fan, when we went up 28-3, the Super Bowl scenario immediately came to mind, and something inside told me this could happen again.

Guest MustardSeed

Students have always left the lesser games at halftime. I’d actually call it tradition. Been happening since I was there in the 90s. The off campus  parties and the frat house parties always got started early for games like this. Doubt that has changed much.  Underage alcoholics are far less concerned about the outcome of a game than they are about getting ready for the party. How do I know?  I was one of them.  Want it to change?  Change the party culture. However that will be 10 times harder than the job Harsin has. 

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

I left 1 game at half time because my GF at the time was having an allergic reaction so i had to take her back to her dorm.   It was the 2006 Auburn win vs LSU.   I didnt end up marrying her but im still bitter i had to leave such a close game. 

You’re still bitter 15 years later about putting someone’s health above watching a football game?  Wow.  

31 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

You’re still bitter 15 years later about putting someone’s health above watching a football game?  Wow.  

shelf your fake outrage, it was a really good game and she was a drama queen. 

Edited by auskip07

15 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Some people get it. Others are okay with a empty stadium. If I hear anybody mention Jordan-Hare being loud and a difficult place to play I'm gonna laugh in their faces. I don't care if it's a blowout loss or a blowout win, students should be expected to stay the full game. If you can't go and stay you can give your tickets to another student who missed out on the lottery.

Saban has famously called out the bammer student section on multiple occasions, particularly early in his time there. They don't leave any more.