DD transfer rumors

AUGunsmith

Virtually every top tier QB recruit in the SEC knows he'll either see little to no playing time first year, or he'll be redshirted. I call b.s. on this rumor.

33 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm not a fan of Harsin not playing freshmen. Very few of the last signing class have made it on the field. I think this is a deterrent for signing new players and hurts their development. Also doesn't keep guys engaged if they know they are not playing. I loved how Steele and Co rotated guys in and out of the lineup. Great for building depth and keeping guys engaged from week to week. 

I'm 100% for playing back-up's to build depth and knowledge of the offense & defense and giving experience.  BUT, if we look back week to week & consider the struggles we've seen, other than Akron which game were the young QBs suppose to get PT?  The so called cupcakes >>  AlaState (very slow start 1st half)/and the abysmal GaState game where TJ bailed us out the only other game may have been Arkansas.  

Some teams take care of business with the lesser teams (cupcakes + lower level SEC teams) and they have the luxury of giving backup's a ton of PT.  Auburn for a myriad of reasons over the years hasn't had that luxury.  PSU was a loss and down to the wire, LSU in Baton Rouge was a close game, UGA was a thrashing, OleMiss provided no time for backup's, aTm a loss that went to the wire with poor offense, MSU a loss that went to the wire with poor offense and defense. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Virtually every top tier QB recruit in the SEC knows he'll either see little to no playing time first year, or he'll be redshirted. I call b.s. on this rumor.

Unless you’re Bo Nix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Well, unless you are a Legacy 5* QB with a mountain of marketing and hype behind you.  

As it relates to DD, he's a "Gus QB" and it just became obvious per Harsin's comments that he's at the bottom of the pecking order for QB backups.  He may be better served to stay another year at AU & then weigh his options.  OR he & his parents may see something from this staff that we don't see and they may not want to wait another year in this system.  We don't know where this will go. 

I may have just missed DD but this past saturday against State I did not see him warm up before the game or when they come back out to warm up after halftime. I thought it was weird but never really thought anything about it. 

2 minutes ago, wareagletk said:

I may have just missed DD but this past saturday against State I did not see him warm up before the game or when they come back out to warm up after halftime. I thought it was weird but never really thought anything about it. 

Interesting.  Harsin shot down any notion this week that DD was back-up #2 or #3.  It may be a done deal,  Who knows?

7 minutes ago, wareagletk said:

He's not expected to play at all this year (ie: essentially a Redshirt) so why would you expect him to be warming up? No different than any of the other true Freshmen that obviously aren't expected to play this season.

Either way, he's probably gone like I expected off the basis of not fitting the mold of the new staff - he was an inherited recruit after all.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

He's not expected to play at all this year (ie: essentially a Redshirt) so why would you expect him to be warming up? No different than any of the other true Freshmen that obviously aren't expected to play this season.

Either way, he's probably gone like I expected off the basis of not fitting the mold of the new staff - he was an inherited recruit after all.

Gus needs a QB.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at UCF.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Normally I'd hope every planned red-shirt player would be able to get their limit of 4 games of experience, if for not other reason than to give them live game experience and knowledge.  But as I posted earlier, Auburn hasn't had the luxury of scoring enough on an opponent to get to a point where younger players can get that opportunity.  

Our so called cupcake games either started out slow (ALState) or went horribly and down to the wire (GaState) and the SEC wins were never super comfortable.  Some teams compete at a high enough level that they get their back-ups a ton of PT every year, some aren't that fortunate. 

47 minutes ago, metafour said:

For homes they can dress almost everyone so he should be out there warming up. Away games are different on how many can travel.

With the RS rule it’s crazy to not get guys some playing time unless they are hurt or something. He should have already taken a few snaps IMO. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus needs a QB.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at UCF.

If DD decides to leave (and I hope he doesn’t), I would recommend Liberty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

If DD decides to leave (and I hope he doesn’t), I would recommend Liberty.

I would too, only if Hugh Freeze is still there.  Almost goes without saying, but a poster mentioned VT should go after Freeze as their new coach and that makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Don’t worry guys. We will replace him with some 2* sophomore from another school to keep the numbers where we need them. 

Geriner is a 2*?

35 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Geriner is a 2*?

No. I was counting Gernier. You’d like to have a guy from DD’s class group though. The point of the post is that we’d likely replace DD with a downgrade. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

No. I was counting Gernier. You’d like to have a guy from DD’s class group though. The point of the post is that we’d likely replace DD with a downgrade. 

We fans have no idea what a down or up grade from DD would be. DD is currently behind Loy on the depth chart, so an upgrade should not be a difficult guy to find.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, gravejd said:

I'm not a fan of Harsin not playing freshmen

Jaquez Hunter disagrees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We fans have no idea what a down or up grade from DD would be. DD is currently behind Loy on the depth chart, so an upgrade should not be a difficult guy to find.

I can almost assure you with a certainty that DD’s athleticism and upside as a recruit put him in a higher caliber of what kind of player you’d like to have on your roster than Grant Loy.