Would Washington Pursue Harsin?

woodford

Washington fired HC Jimmy Lake over the weekend. Any reason to think they would go after Harsin seeing that he has ties to the area?

Not saying he would leave but they could sell that the PAC-12 North is much easier than SECW, etc. Not a rumor I literally just thought of this in the last 5 mins. 

• Dislike 2

I think its more likely Washington has interest in Harsin than Harsin has interest in Washington. He could have stayed at Boise St and got all the pac12 head coaching offers he wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They a broke and I doubt would pay Harsin more than 5mm a year.

UW is a huge step back from Auburn.  If Harsin is true to his ideals, he came to Auburn b/c he wanted to try and win a National Championship.  That ain't gonna happen at UW or is extremely unlikely.

They might ask, but I can't imagine Harsin going.  If he does, it says more about him than us

I guess anything is a possibility.    Let me say that I was fine with hiring of Harsin.   I believed that an outsider was needed.   The problem I see is that everyone is not  a believer in the hire.   For Auburn to get to level of consistency that Georgia and Alabama are at, it’s going to take everyone to be fired up about the coach.  

• Like 4

I think this rumor (I know) started because Petersen is supposedly going to play a huge role in the search and his top choice would be Harsin, which makes sense. I hope it's false and he stays because I really like him and believe he is moving us in a good direction, but hopefully we learned our lesson with Gus and don't get into a bidding war. If he leaves, go hire Dave Arranda

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I guess anything is a possibility.    Let me say that I was fine with hiring of Harsin.   I believed that an outsider was needed.   The problem I see is that everyone is not  a believer in the hire.   For Auburn to get to level of consistency that Georgia and Alabama are at, it’s going to take everyone to be fired up about the coach.  

Hiring an outsider many weren’t even familiar with was not the way to get everyone fired up if that was the goal. I like the hire and think it accomplished what we needed, everyone fired up or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Hiring an outsider many weren’t even familiar with was not the way to get everyone fired up if that was the goal. I like the hire and think it accomplished what we needed, everyone fired up or not. 

I disagree.   If someone that everyone is on board with has a hiccup or two in the beginning, everyone is more in line and understands that it takes time.   People on this board are already saying it was a bad hire.   Now that could just be the nature of message boards or the sign of the times, but it is happening.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont think the Harsin hire was a bad hire at all. Some of the assistants on the other hand is a completely different discussion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I doubt CBH even make their long list. Look for the likes of the BYU coach and Dave Aranda. 

Edited by DAG

Just hope we don't have another Gus/Arkansas situation where Harsin uses outside interest in him to make Auburn give him a hugely favorable reworked contract/raise. Harsin isn't worth a bidding war IMO. 

But, No, I really don't think Washington goes after Harsin, BUT if they do and Harsin is interested then I think Auburn should just let him go. Not like we'd risk destroying a good recruiting class or anything, and reshuffling some assistants is probably already needed anyway. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

1st year and people are salivating at imaginary opportunities for another team to steal away our head coach? Yikes. It seems that back to back losses and the way we lost has collapsed all enthusiasm for this hire.  And like it or hate it Harsin will be here for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, tigers23 said:

I dont think the Harsin hire was a bad hire at all. Some of the assistants on the other hand is a completely different discussion. 

Not saying Harsin was a bad hire BUT he is responsible for hiring and I think he has made some bad hires.

I don't think Harsin is a quitter so I doubt he would leave for another job right now.

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Impossible! We have the worst fans in sports. We will eat our own in a minute. Gus took us to the NC game and our fans were bitching. From my vantage point, we need to give Harsin time to get his team on the field! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

UW is a huge step back from Auburn.  If Harsin is true to his ideals, he came to Auburn b/c he wanted to try and win a National Championship.  That ain't gonna happen at UW or is extremely unlikely.

They might ask, but I can't imagine Harsin going.  If he does, it says more about him than us

Not sure I agree. I think they know that too, and that's part of the reason they want a new coach. It could definitely happen at Washington. They won one back in the early 90s, had opportunities in the early 2000s but got shut out of the BCS. They were in the playoffs a few years ago under Peterson. They had back to back 10 win seasons under Peterson but couldn't get over the hump and back in the playoff. They have a shot in an extremely weak Pac-12 North. Just have to get past Oregon consistently. 

Edited by Randman5000

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

there weren't many options either. Freeze is a mixed bag and also another former high school coach. Napier, no thanks. Kiffin would have talked but probably not. Remember the Steele mess. Bringing up some bad memories. LOL. I hope we aren't back in that position. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

All true.  Here's something else:  recruiting at UW & every other school in the PNW is difficult because the population isn't big enough to get enough blue chippers there.  They all have to recruit out of California & elsewhere to fill out rosters.  At least at AU, CBH is in the middle of big-time recruits in FL, GA, LA & TX.  If recruiting while at AU becomes CBH's Achilles heel, it won't get any easier at UW.  

13 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Man dont do this shizz to me !!!  I just got out of re-hab from the last coaching debacle change 

Coaching search be like... 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47fgidu3ppb0k8lwacau

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I disagree.   If someone that everyone is on board with has a hiccup or two in the beginning, everyone is more in line and understands that it takes time.   People on this board are already saying it was a bad hire.   Now that could just be the nature of message boards or the sign of the times, but it is happening.  

A lot of them was saying it was a bad hire because he was (is) an outsider. That’s my point. 

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

there weren't many options either. Freeze is a mixed bag and also another former high school coach. Napier, no thanks. Kiffin would have talked but probably not. Remember the Steele mess. Bringing up some bad memories. LOL. I hope we aren't back in that position. 

Yeah well like i said, some folks did not like the hire from the get go because he’s an outsider and quite frankly a lot of folks simply weren’t familiar with him. I personally like it and think he’ll do fine. I could see how he might have interest in Washington if it was a possibility though. There are a lot of logistical fits with that matchup. 

• Like 1

If Harsin leaves, give Mario $10 million a year.  We know he can recruit and coach.  I like Harsin, but no way we should restructure his contract year 1.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Butthead said:

If Harsin leaves, give Mario $10 million a year.  We know he can recruit and coach.  I like Harsin, but no way we should restructure his contract year 1.  

Agreed, and we hopefully have Administrators with a stronger backbone that the idiots that gave xCGM that ridiculous one-sided, guaranteed contract with zero accountability. :realmad: