All of the good will built up by Harsin is gone after this game.

AUlurker

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Irrational that’s laughable. Tank is running wild but wait on 4 and 1 let’s throw the ball. Last week fake punt on 4 and 10. I could of sworn that happened or maybe I watched the wrong game 

It’s okay. We’re irrational. He thinks analytically and objectively. 

Give Harsin time to bring in his 33rd ranked/13th in the SEC recruiting class to compete against the SEC and coach them up. It’ll be alright. Lol

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

lmao, how is this on Harsin when Mike Bobo is making the calls losing us games? smh.

So you think Harsin is just a figurehead? Obviously he has autonomy to override play calls. What else would he be doing if he’s letting the coordinators run 100% of the game? And if he’s legitimately just letting the coordinators do whatever they want to do, then he’s literally the worst college football coach in the country. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Taco said:

Okay two things. 

1. I know we’ve been preaching to quit comparing Harsin to Saban. But can we also knock the Harsin to Dye’s first year as well? 

2. And serious question, what from Harsin have you seen in this recruiting cycle that he’s going to recruit his tail off to get this “rebuild”??? 

1. No; it was the last time we had this poor of a talent pool vs the rest of the SEC West.  It's a good analogy.

2. I've reviewed their target list; it's the right kind of talent.  The 13 committed so far are good quality. ...good enough.  But, getting them and keeping/developing them are two different things.  I've seen the lists of folks we've had on campus.  I see no lack of attention from the program.  They did a good job finishing his 1st class.  It is "reasonable" to assume a similar finish given they've had more time to build relationships.    Over the long haul; they will need to do better with the early period.    But I don't expect miracles.  Building a legacy takes time.  

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

Lol. Cool. 

So since I’m in the legal world I’ll bite. By your logic, since these past two losses really weren’t on Harsin. Were our big wins against Ole Miss and Arkansas because of Bobo’s and Mason’s play calling? And the recruiting of Bo Nix by Gus?

Yes, those wins are mostly on the coordinators and their supporting staff, especially since CBH seems to be a CEO level coach that is not involved on play-calling on both sides of the ball, he just sets the overall game-plan of the team each week.  When Gus called his own plays as HC I was more willing to lay blame for bad offense directly at Gus's feet. Its a little different with a CEO style head coach.

He gets credit for the overall gameplan that I am assuming was a product of all of the coaches working together during the week before the game.  And yes, Gus can take credit for getting Bo Nix here, for sure. 

First year coach will have some ups and downs. Not good but it is what it is at this point. 
It is the recruiting that really matters. If he can’t recruit, or hire coaches that can recruit, we are in trouble. If he can recruit we will be fine. Let’s see what happens over the next several weeks in recruiting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

1. No; it was the last time we had this poor of a talent pool vs the rest of the SEC West.  It's a good analogy.

2. I've reviewed their target list; it's the right kind of talent.  The 13 committed so far are good quality. ...good enough.  But, getting them and keeping/developing them are two different things.  I've seen the lists of folks we've had on campus.  I see no lack of attention from the program.  They did a good job finishing his 1st class.  It is "reasonable" to assume a similar finish given they've had more time to build relationships.    Over the long haul; they will need to do better with the early period.    But I don't expect miracles.  Building a legacy takes time.  

Fair. At least you gave me legitimate answers.

I still disagree, but I do agree with you in regards of the quality of the commitments we have so far. But the remaining quality targets are a handful of flips and trending the wrong direction. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So you think Harsin is just a figurehead? Obviously he has autonomy to override play calls. What else would he be doing if he’s letting the coordinators run 100% of the game? And if he’s legitimately just letting the coordinators do whatever they want to do, then he’s literally the worst college football coach in the country. 

Honestly, I have no idea what he is doing, I am assuming overall game and gameplan management.  He definitely is not calling the plays and IMO the bad playcalling by Bobo was the reason we lost tonight.  I hope Harsin does something to rectify that, I don't how he will do that, maybe fire Bobo, maybe start to insert himself more with play calling decisions on key downs.  I know if I was Harsin and Bobo told me he was running that long 50/50 ball on 4th and 1 I'd have told him the hell you are, pick a quick pass to a tightend, run the ball or QB sneak it. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

First year coach will have some ups and downs. Not good but it is what it is at this point. 
It is the recruiting that really matters. If he can’t recruit, or hire coaches that can recruit, we are in trouble. If he can recruit we will be fine. Let’s see what happens over the next several weeks in recruiting. 

Straight facts, if he doesn't produce recruiting wise we are in for a bad time.

• Like 1

I just want to say that we have been a mess lately in terms of unity in the AD. As much as we all hate the good ole boys, we need a Bobby Lowder alpha dog leader that gets everyone in line and on the same page to emerge again.

Right now we have a President retiring, a lame duck AD, a football coach from across the country, and boosters that are in a bunch of factions apparently. We need a universally respected (feared) leader to emerge. Jimmy Rane isn't that person. Bruce is the only one I could see. Make him AD and coach and give him full autonomy of the department. No organization is going to function efficiently when there are this many factions. You will never get complete unity, but you need most of the important people on the same page

11 minutes ago, Taco said:

It’s okay. We’re irrational. He thinks analytically and objectively. 

Give Harsin time to bring in his 33rd ranked/13th in the SEC recruiting class to compete against the SEC and coach them up. It’ll be alright. Lol

I am agreeing with you people that playcalling is a major issue and I have no problem agreeing that statement regarding recruiting.  If his recruiting doesn't improve its gonna be a bad time.  I haven't opined to recruiting anywhere in this thread.

I just wont go so far to say we need to fire Harsin or that firing Gus was a mistake. I think there maybe has been a disconnect in all of this bc the points y'all are bring up now I agree with.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Honestly, I have no idea what he is doing, I am assuming overall game and gameplan management.  He definitely is not calling the plays and IMO the bad playcalling by Bobo was the reason we lost tonight.  I hope Harsin does something to rectify that, I don't how he will do that, maybe fire Bobo, maybe start to insert himself more with play calling decisions on key downs.  I know if I was Harsin and Bobo told me he was running that long 50/50 ball on 4th and 1 I'd have told him the hell you are, pick a quick pass to a tightend, run the ball or QB sneak it. 

I’m not totally sure Harsin knows what he’s doing in the SEC. At some point he has to step in and make some sort of adjustments? Why aren’t they being done? Why are we getting outscored 50-something to 9 in the second half of the last 3 games? Why is he allowing that to happen? He’s supposedly a badass coach leader guy and he looks like he’s completely lost and out of his element. 

Guys I think we are all mostly on the same page here.  I just really really like Harsin's scheme so I don't want him gone so quickly.  However, if he cant recruit, his scheme wont make a difference.

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m not totally sure Harsin knows what he’s doing in the SEC. At some point he has to step in and make some sort of adjustments? Why aren’t they being done? Why are we getting outscored 50-something to 9 in the second half of the last 3 games? Why is he allowing that to happen? He’s supposedly a badass coach leader guy and he looks like he’s completely lost and out of his element. 

Those are all great questions and it is a little concerning I'll admit.  If he doesn't fire Bobo or do something about the play-calling you may be right. Which would be very very unfortunate.

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yes, those wins are mostly on the coordinators and their supporting staff, especially since CBH seems to be a CEO level coach that is not involved on play-calling on both sides of the ball, he just sets the overall game-plan of the team each week.  When Gus called his own plays as HC I was more willing to lay blame for bad offense directly at Gus's feet. Its a little different with a CEO style head coach.

He gets credit for the overall gameplan that I am assuming was a product of all of the coaches working together during the week before the game.  And yes, Gus can take credit for getting Bo Nix here, for sure. 

I actually agree. So let’s think this through then. Our last 3 games, (3.5 if you want to include the 2nd half of the Ole Piss game) our game plan has been borderline horrible. Especially in 2nd half adjustments/game plans. Basically, after our 14 scripted plays, it’s been horrible. Others have been adjusting to us. We haven’t. I haven’t lived the game and watched film like you have, but I’m sure this isn’t hard to notice. 

You would think, you would almost assume, that after what happened last week, we would maybe prepare for some second half adjustments. Maybe, just maybe, not go for a 4th down in our own territory again. I don’t know. Just a hunch. 

Don’t know your current position in the legal field or anything. But if I was an associate blowing up a case, a partner would have my head on a swivel so quick I would be looking for another job. 

Being a CEO is fine. But that also comes with consequences when the team flat out looks like they got out-coached, out-disciplined and out-played  

In terms of good will, I don't know if Harsin would have built up good will even if we had 10 wins this year. Those boosters got put in their place, and their egos bruised. 

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

Straight facts, if he doesn't produce recruiting wise we are in for a bad time.

Yep. It did Gus in… and the last class was a lost cause. This class is super important. We can’t go 2 straight classes without top talent. Gus already set us back years. We need top talent. If Harsin can’t produce, he too will be shown the door in a few years. 
…but I will hold on to hope for now…

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

Guys I think we are all mostly on the same page here.  I just really really like Harsin's scheme so I don't want him gone so quickly.  However, if he cant recruit, his scheme wont make a difference.

But what is his scheme and what is Bobo’s? Neither are apparently working. And I’m sure he’ll hop on the presser and say “we got to get better the plays weren’t there” or whatever bull**** he likes to say. 

Bruce Pearl will legitimately say what the exact problem is, even lightly call out players by their names. And you know what? That results in an eager, gritty, basketball team that actually answers to adversity instead of bending over. Everyone loves him from fans to players to even other fanbases. Pearl is the best coach to step foot on the AU campus in 30 years, and everyone knows it.

We need a football coach like Bruce Pearl. 

PS I’ve been saying this during Gus’s tenure as well. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

Just now, Taco said:

I actually agree. So let’s think this through then. Our last 3 games, (3.5 if you want to include the 2nd half of the Ole Piss game) our game plan has been borderline horrible. Especially in 2nd half adjustments/game plans. Basically, after our 14 scripted plays, it’s been horrible. Others have been adjusting to us. We haven’t. I haven’t lived the game and watched film like you have, but I’m sure this isn’t hard to notice. 

You would think, you would almost assume, that after what happened last week, we would maybe prepare for some second half adjustments. Maybe, just maybe, not go for a 4th down in our own territory again. I don’t know. Just a hunch. 

Don’t know your current position in the legal field or anything. But if I was an associate blowing up a case, a partner would have my head on a swivel so quick I would be looking for another job. 

Being a CEO is fine. But that also comes with consequences when the team flat out looks like they got out-coached, out-disciplined and out-played  

There isn't a single thing I disagree with here.  All great points.  Harsin has to do something about the play-calling and the lack of adjustments and it does show up on the film.  We don't adjust any if at all in the 2nd half and after the 14 play script the play-calling becomes very very random. Almost as if Bobo is calling passes just because we are at 60% runs and he wants to get back to 50/50.  There were times tonight where there were only 6 men in the box and I thought sweet Tank's about to run then boom we pass it.  Which is just unacceptable.

I am coming around to your point of view, I am just hoping Harsin is able to get this staff together or make some changes.

As for my standing in the legal field, I am the lowly associate who has not managed to blow up anything yet in my short tenure, in part due to our wonderful paralegals who are a very helpful resource for a young associate.

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

If you really are “analytically” minded and objective, you know exactly where you backtracked here for your own opinion. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep. It did Gus in… and the last class was a lost cause. This class is super important. We can’t go 2 straight classes without top talent. Gus already set us back years. We need top talent. If Harsin can’t produce, he too will be shown the door in a few years. 
…but I will hold on to hope for now…

Same man, I love his offense scheme so much that I hope the recuiting pans out.

• Haha 1

Also, I apologize to all, I can get can a little feisty after a loss and after taking some nice deep breaths of vitamins, I am a little more even keeled.

1 minute ago, Taco said:

If you really are “analytically” minded and objective, you know exactly where you backtracked here for your own opinion. 

I wouldn't call acknowledging a point someone made and then giving it merit as a good point and then changing my analysis as backtracking.

26 minutes ago, japantiger said:

In CPD's first full class, we stole two at least big recruits right from under Bahr's nose: Tamburello and that one kid from Bessemer, what was his name again?

Edited by AUwent

I was at the game tonight with my family, our first in 7 years because we live in Charlotte NC. A few things that was obvious 

Our DBs have slow feet and slow hips. It's obvious why we play like we do

Dline is weak. Got pushed around much of the night. A few good plays here and there but we are not SEC ready

That 4th and 1 killed any momentum we had and , IMO cost us the game

There are a lot of I's on this team. Not naming names but it is obvious.

Feed our RB's was all we had to do and we win easily. Oline was crushing their dline all night.

Wide receiver's had zero separation almost every play.

We should not have lost to this team and it is disheartening to see us out

Anyway, War Eagle and IGTBAAT

• Like 1
  • Sad 1