Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

As much as I am disappointed with our in game results over the last 2 games I am not going to be super critical of the end results for this season. My reasons are pretty simple...

1. This is his first season in the SEC and as most ha e recognized we really are lacking the Jimmy's & Joe's to be a really good team.

2. I would rather have  sustainable success instead of a flash in the pan great season and ten years of roller coaster highs and lows.

3. There are a lot of I's on this current team who play for themselves that has not bought into the current staff's philosophy. 

4. CBH is a good coach and once he gets the players on both sides of the ball he needs I think we will be very happy.

With that being said, this season is the only season he gets a pass on. Next season we must see improvement on the oline and the defense. We cannot ever blow a 25 point lead to an inferior team and we should  eat the teams we are supposed to beat 99.9% of the time. 

I completely agree with #2, which is why technically we've already met one of my goals for this season. But #1 is why I'm angry--he's not exactly doing a good job at drawing the Jimmys and Joes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t want him fired but I want Bobo and Mason gone after the Iron Bowl. 

Same. Fire Bobo and hire literally anyone else. A pulse should be the only requirement. Fire Mason and give Coach O a call. Could use his help in recruiting.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I’m not giving him a pass. These last few weeks been trash. Y’all can’t give this man all the credit when things are going good but then start giving him a pass when things go downhill.

It would feel better if the coaches were killing it in recruiting but that ain’t happening either. I ain’t trying to make it all doom and gloom but things ain’t looking good right now 

• Like 6

Off the first half of the season he gets leeway. These last couple games no excuses though..No pass. I honestly don’t know who he’ll hire for next season but we’ll see. Fire Bobo, Mason, and the special teams coach like I said before.

Edited by WFE12

No choice but to give him time, but he shouldn't get a pass. We need resounding response and results next year. I do think they need to be some major changes on the offensive end. As bad as some think the defense has played (and they have had flaws) for the most part they have done more than enough to put us in position to be successful if the offense hadn't implode in half our games.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

once he gets the players on both sides of the ball he needs I think we will be very happy.

The obvious problem here is he and this staff he's assembled have shown NO sign of getting these players to Auburn. And I understand people wanting the OC, DC and ST coach(thus far) ran off but the same guy will be hiring the new coaches that hired the current ones. Does anyone have confidence that he'll do better this time?

7 minutes ago, Jaba4ever said:

Same. Fire Bobo and hire literally anyone else. A pulse should be the only requirement. Fire Mason and give Coach O a call. Could use his help in recruiting.

Coach O would be killer but doubt he would do that. 

Someone mentioned Dell McGee earlier. Idk if he’s ever been an OC but he’s been a good recruiter for UGA. 

Guest MustardSeed

Agree with all of this. Especially #3. You can watch d lineman take plays off and see plenty of low effort blocks on offense. Culture changes always have this occur. When a few main guys don’t buy in, until you can replace them you’re gonna have issues and we seem to have a few here and there that may not want to have to keep earning their spots or putting in different types of work than they’re used to. It’s just an impression I get but seeing someone else say it too makes me more confident it may be happening. I actually take it as a good sign there is a culture change occurring. 

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t want him fired but I want Bobo and Mason gone after the Iron Bowl. 

Bobo and the ST Coach have got to be fired.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
8 minutes ago, DAG said:

No choice but to give him time, but he shouldn't get a pass. We need resounding response and results next year. I do think they need to be some major changes on the offensive end. As bad as some think the defense has played (and they have had flaws) for the most part they have done more than enough to put us in position to be successful if the offense hadn't implode in half our games.

Well the offense has also done enough to win most games and the defense didn’t hold up. It’s both sides of the same coin. Change them both IMO

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

Someone mentioned Dell McGee earlier. Idk if he’s ever been an OC but he’s been a good recruiter for UGA. 

AU has tried to land McGee more than once and he said no thanks. His career is on a great path at UGA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

I'd be fine with both of those.

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

Well the offense has also done enough to win most games and the defense didn’t hold up. It’s both sides of the same coin. Change them both IMO

Funny, I see it the other way around. Offense didn't hold up through the course of the game and the defense gets hosed bc of it.

Just now, MustardSeed said:

Name them? Mississippi State is the only game I can think off. Defense played great during the Texas A&M game. The defense gave up 21 points against USCe. That is more than doable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

In fact auburn is fourth in the SEC in scoring defense. The three teams better than us is the Aggies, Bama and UGA.

We are 10th in scoring offense in the SEC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This doesn't change without bringing in a quality class including quality transfers.  Forget bringing in his players, he isn't brining in any players at positions of need.   I just don't the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.  More like 3 years of misery.

• Like 1

The pass is in the contract. I have no confidence in the future though. These last two games had little to do with players. we got out coached. We would be better off with Gus this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jaba4ever said:

give Coach O a call.

God no. We can hire recruiters that aren't abhorrent people 

• Like 2

Harsin inherited a mess, no doubt about it, but I just am not seeing what some are seeing. This guy looks like either a guy in over his head or a fish out of water that will take years to acclimate. Our recruiting is bad. Everyone wants at least the two coordinators gone, which is a large portion of the staff with actual ties within the SEC. Harsin would be just as likely to promote and bring in more Boise connections to replace them than hire top level coaches from what I've seen so far. I don't see a coherent philosophy on the field. We're not physical, we don't establish anything offensively, the only consistent is that we're inconsistent. 

If his recruiting the next couple of years doesn't pick up substantially, we'll be looking for another coach in a few years. Auburn isn't sinking all the money into new facilities for nebulous "culture" changes. Wins will have to come and that's not going to get any easier with a number of programs trending up and Texas and Oklahoma coming into the league. 

• Like 1

Nah we need to fire him and hire someone else. Then, when they go 6 or 7 wins next year fire them as well. We're going to have to accept that we're going to have to give a coach a few years, whether Harsin or the next guy.

Now, if Harsin doesn't cut 15+ players and make some staff changes I'll be even more concerned than now. I'm actually more confident that we're closer to turning it around on offense than defense. Never would have thought that a year ago. That's not an endorsement of Bobo either, just how pathetic Mason has been. In fairness to Harsin, no one thought Mason would be this bad. We hoped we'd get Stanford Mason, but we got Vandy retread Mason

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

Name them? Mississippi State is the only game I can think off. Defense played great during the Texas A&M game. The defense gave up 21 points against USCe. That is more than doable. 

Facts, in all honesty, defense played great against Moo State. kept the torching only to one half after the offense failed and failed hard.

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s just not being honest on how the season has played out.   MSU game was a complete failure.   I would also say that giving up 21 points to D3/3rd string backup is a failure.   The defense played good enough to win the aTm and PSU games, that is correct.   So that puts it at offense 2 defense 2