Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Ole Miss just beat MSU 31-21. They held MSU almost the entire game using the same 3 man front Mason used. The difference was their edge rushers were still able to put on pressure.  

Yep, that #7 edge rusher is a beast.

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Are any of those coaches any better? Do they have extensive SEC experience? If not.....then things would be worse.

Boise State philosophies won't cut it in the SEC. Harsin needs to find coaches that understand the competition. I'm not sure Harsin understands it yet either. 

I think there could be a legitimate argument made that the Boise coaches on staff are doing a better job than the southeastern ones. Receivers have taken steps under Kiesau. Bedell has done a fantastic job with the TE's and got his number one target in recruiting. Schmedding has maintained the LB play and will hopefully flip Woodyard, which would be a huge win. Watts terrible with ST though. Bobo, Mason, and Etheridge get the most criticism and they are all big SEC guys in some shape or form.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 4:56 AM, woodford said:

Those are impressive. He must have a whole heap of 4 and 5* guys wanting to sign for this 2022 class then since he’s so incredible. 

What does that have to do with this discussion? I've posted for months that recruiting is a concern. Also, the D hasn't been as bad as some on here are claiming. Both things are true. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I think it’s that they thought that South Carolina was going to load up and prevent the run.  They believed that they could hit an easy big play and South Carolina was not fooled at all and there wasn’t any secondary option that TJ went to.   

I would agree with that approach if Tank was in the game to give them that perception. Usually Shivers is in the game to give them better pass blocking or a pass threat.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:56 PM, woodford said:

Those are impressive. He must have a whole heap of 4 and 5* guys wanting to sign for this 2022 class then since he’s so incredible. 

A real “recruiting monster”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

What does that have to do with this discussion? I've posted for months that recruiting is a concern. Also, the D hasn't been as bad as some on here are claiming. Both things are true. 

I’m busting balls but he’s not going anything impressive on the recruiting trail. Kind a major part of being a DC. 

• Like 2

results matter - for recruiting...

be competitive vs bama and the sales pitch carries more credence.

get blown out and the sales pitch falls a little flat.  

24 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

A real “recruiting monster”

No one has even said that on here. 

But I'd be surprised if recruits didn't like him. Ever listen to him talk? Very enthusiastic and likeable guy. Surprising so many on here are against him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

But I'd be surprised if recruits didn't like him. Ever listen to him talk? Very enthusiastic and likeable guy. Surprising so many on here are against him. 

He’s a nice guy but he failed at Vanderbilt. Why would you want to play for a guy that Vandy fired? The fakeness and the sales pitch can only go so far. 

I just can’t buy in. Wish I could. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

He’s a nice guy but he failed at Vanderbilt. Why would you want to play for a guy that Vandy fired? The fakeness and the sales pitch can only go so far. 

I just can’t buy in. Wish I could. 

I'm sure you know there are many great O and D coordinators that failed as HC's. Also, Vandy might be the most difficult HC job in the country. 

Don't know what you mean by "fakeness."

24 minutes ago, woodford said:
36 minutes ago, cbo said:

enthusiastic and likeable guy. Surprising so many on here are against him. 

He’s a nice guy but he failed at Vanderbilt. Why would you want to play for a guy that Vandy fired?

A stain on the storied history of Vanderbilt HCs. How did we end up with this dude?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, e808 said:

So u think a long pass play is a very high percentage play when u have no go to receiver and the qb has accuracy problems . If Finley at 6’7 can’t lean over for one yard against a collegiate defense then I guess I am short sighted

Don't be a clown.  You know exactly what I am saying or you are the dumbest person on earth.

Also if they completed this pass the same whiners would be talking about the genius of Bobo and the Balls of Harsin to make a call and how they love a coach who attacks and is aggressive.  Love that alpha win mentality, etc, etc, etc.

I have been around this board long enough to know how things would have gone, lol.

Side note, Brahms getting shoved backwards, never have seen that happen ever....this is implied in the most sarcastic tone I can possibly use.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season
1 hour ago, cbo said:

it's politics!!! he's from the left coast... we rather stay ignorant than win the right way.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

45 minutes ago, fredst said:

A stain on the storied history of Vanderbilt HCs. How did we end up with this dude?

Haha. How can you not win at Vanderbilt, famed football dynasty?

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

it's politics!!! he's from the left coast... we rather stay ignorant than win the right way.

I've had a sneaking suspicion that's the reason for many of these comments. 

I try to let the conversation play out for rational support. Still waiting. 

I saw this thing with Finebaum talking with Charles Barkley. Interestingly enough, Sir Charles is totally behind Harsin and Auburn fans need to be patient and give him time. But after these last three weeks, that is a hell of a lot easier said than done.

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Lol; not taking the bait. Nice try though!!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Lol; not taking the bait. Nice try though!!

Credit to you. You identified the bait. Seriously. 

One honest question. Does the girl kicking the football bother you? 

• Haha 2

A lot of Stanford's best defensive players when Mason was at Stanford 2010-2013 were already there when he got there. These were the upperclassmen that were the leaders on defense when he was DC at Stanford in 2011-2013

Shayne Skov
Chase Thomas
Jarek Lancaster
Trent Murphy
Michael Thomas
Ben Gardner

All those players were in the 2008 and 2009 classes for Stanford. Mason recruited none of them. 

Almost the same story at Vandy. Mason's best defenses statistically at Vandy were 2015 and 2016. Both of those defenses in 2015 and 2016 were led by upperclassmen that were already at Vandy when Mason was hired. The best defensive player at Vandy during Mason's tenure was LB Zach Cunningham. He was part of the 2013 class recruited by James Franklin. Once most of James Franklin's recruits were gone, Vandy's defenses regressed from 2017-2020.

Mason should get credit for being a good DC at Stanford and having a couple of good defenses at Vandy. But his recruiting ability is more unproven than his defensive coaching ability. His best defenses have largely been with players he didn't recruit.

7 hours ago, cbo said:

I see you chose to understand some of the more special posters lately. As you can see a few are on fire to get rid of mason.......as you talk the best and most logical reason you'll get is he was fired from vandy........good luck!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, au302 said:

I think there could be a legitimate argument made that the Boise coaches on staff are doing a better job than the southeastern ones. Receivers have taken steps under Kiesau. Bedell has done a fantastic job with the TE's and got his number one target in recruiting. Schmedding has maintained the LB play and will hopefully flip Woodyard, which would be a huge win. Watts terrible with ST though. Bobo, Mason, and Etheridge get the most criticism and they are all big SEC guys in some shape or form.

I thought recruiting was done by region rather than position.

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Yes it does bother me.   Vandy has a mens soccer team.  So, he’s saying that a girl soccer player can kick in farther than the guy’s division 1 soccer player?   If you remember this was during the whole protesting scene, and I believed it to be a political move on his part.  And I say this because I would like to keep politics out of sports.    I hear enough of it in every day life.   I would like a reprieve from it and some point, so why can’t that be with sports.  

15 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Yes it does bother me.   Vandy has a mens soccer team.  So, he’s saying that a girl soccer player can kick in farther than the guy’s division 1 soccer player?   If you remember this was during the whole protesting scene, and I believed it to be a political move on his part.  And I say this because I would like to keep politics out of sports.    I hear enough of it in every day life.   I would like a reprieve from it and some point, so why can’t that be with sports.  

Trying to get some positive media on his football team wasn’t a bad idea.

• Like 1