Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

38 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

No. Go look at recruiting the last few years. We should never lose to any of those teams. They’ve way underrecruited compared to us, even with recruiting taking a hit the last few years. 

Go look at the classes. Look at the lineman. Look at who is still on the roster. I think you will be floored at how we compare to Mississippi State. They have better players. However I agree with you when it comes to South Carolina. And definitely Georgia state. Either way it’s a combination: Bad coaching and diminishing talent. 
There’s only one way out of this and that is to pay players to get them to come here. It is legal now. And we should be doing it in droves.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You act like a turnover is not a stop.  Take away the Bama game, it only took the other teams 31 points to beat MSU.  

I've opined to turnovers bring key against MSU in many threads. Our guys dropped a pick 6 that would've been a deciding factor.

Several posters have mentioned some players who need to be gone due to negativity, attitude, etc. I'm wondering if those of you who are nearer the program than I am are hearing things like that? I'm genuinely asking, not challenging anyone for what they've posted. Because it's just so odd to have had a really good, really encouraging October & then a disastrous November. Some of y'all will remember, as I do, the Jermaine Whitehead "situation" which derailed the 2014 season by causing the wheels to come off the defense (that's the year we scored 44 points--or was it 48--in Tuscaloosa & still lost to Bama because the defense had just come apart). When I look at this season, at the utter disaster that is the last 3 games, I just wonder. Of course, something like that doesn't "explain" going for 2 in the MSU game or the 4th & 1 call in the SC game. Still SMH over those.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Also do you guys screaming to fire everybody really think a good coach with any type of leverage is going to come to a place who's rivals are number 1 and 2 in the NATION and people call for their head no matter what the situation may be? 

Some of people need to think

I’m not screaming to fire everyone, Harsin’ got 4-5 yrs minimum.  Mike Bobo needs to go and Derek Mason needs a wake up call, and every coach on this staff needs to put recruiting first and foremost.

Auburn can either step up and do what it takes to get on equal footing with our main rivals or get left behind.  We have allowed other programs to jump ahead of us as we’ve watched HC’s come and go at multiple programs.  Now here we are watching MSU, aTm, OleMiss all get better while we flounder around.

• Like 3

What I know:

• Harsin had a prior relationship with Bobo. 
  • Bobo's son is committed and we want him and his teammate, a real OT.    Stands to reason that Bobo stays.
  • Harsin did not have a relationship with Mason before 2021.
  • We all thought Mason was a slam dunk hire.   We were wrong.
  • We need some serious help on the OL (duh). 

What I think:

• Bobo will be back.
  • Mason will not be back. 
  • Harsin does not step in and direct or override in strategic situations

What I hate:

• How Harsin impersonates C3PO on the sidelines and shows zero passion.  
    • Man this is the SEC and players feed off passion.   Show some and get angry or celebrate about something, anything.  Did C3PO accomplish  anything in college football?   I don't think so.  I will go look. 
  • How Harsin is not addressing some basic issues:  play calling and we are losing the second half of every game. 
    • Say something, anything - ACKNOWLEDGE the obvious. 
      • Why not give Tank the ball in short yardage situations?
        • Will the transfer rumors resurface?
  • Did Harsin bring his old DC from Boise?   I think he did.   Did Harsin paint himself into a corner and kinda need to promote this guy?   Geez, I hope not.   I want a recycled SEC DC or an up and coming regional coach who can make a difference.  How well did T Rob  work out when he was at USCe?   I know Muschamp got fired and all, but  - 
  • 6-6 and losing to 'those guys'

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

What I know:

• Bobo's son is committed and we want him and his teammate, a real OT.    Stands to reason that Bobo stays.

What I think:

• Bobo will be back.

What I hate:

• Man this is the SEC and players feed off passion.   Show some and get angry or celebrate about something, anything.  Did C3PO accomplish  anything in college football?   I don't think so.  I will go look. 
  • How Harsin is not addressing some basic issues:  play calling and we are losing the second half of every game. 
  • Did Harsin bring his old DC from Boise?   I think he did.   Did Harsin paint himself into a corner and kinda need to promote this guy?   Geez, I hope not.   I want a recycled SEC DC or an up and coming regional coach who can make a difference.  How well did T Rob  work out when he was at USCe?   I know Muschamp got fired and all, but  - 

Good stuff. One thing I want to know about the offense.

1. How much influence has Eric Kiesau had on game plans and play-calling since his promotion? We have looked more west coast/Boise since he was promoted in my completely amateur opinion. Harsin has also had a play sheet since then. Am I crazy on this? I think Bobo is a good football mind and a great QB coach, but if we are going to run more of a Boise system, maybe Kiesau or Zak Hill should be OC. 

• Like 1

Just watched Harsin's bama week press conference. 

Was not impressed.

But then, I am still disappointed by his avoidance of the obvious in his post game presser . Did he ever acknowledge even some bad coaching decisions?  Moving on and focusing on the next task is a great thing unless you avoid admitting your mistakes.

Am I being naive' or too demanding to have that bother me?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, shabby said:

Maybe. But what was on the field playing didn't match those ratings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, au302 said:

Good stuff. One thing I want to know about the offense.

1. How much influence has Eric Kiesau had on game plans and play-calling since his promotion? We have looked more west coast/Boise since he was promoted in my completely amateur opinion. Harsin has also had a play sheet since then. Am I crazy on this? I think Bobo is a good football mind and a great QB coach, but if we are going to run more of a Boise system, maybe Kiesau or Zak Hill should be OC. 

Maybe we need a first half OC and a second half OC. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, creed said:

Maybe. But what was on the field playing didn't match those ratings.

Well that's pretty much the point isn't it. Why doesn't it match that and isn't the head coach largely responsible for that

• Like 2

Maybe if I show it like this. As far as defense there's not a coach on earth that could make our defense into some blitz heavy attack team with the players we have now. Not one

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Maybe if I show it like this. As far as defense there's not a coach on earth that could make our defense into some blitz heavy attack team with the players we have now. Not one

We don't have a single linebacker or safety capable of blitzing to counter what MSU was doing to us? :dunno:

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

53 minutes ago, Beaker said:

What I know:

What I think:

• Bobo will be back.

What I hate:

It we keep Mike Bobo to keep his THREE STAR OL son committed then I am done with this football program. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shabby said:

Thank you. Most want to apply the eye test, while they are eating snacks and drinking beer. But better coaching makes players look more "talented."

So let's look at the actual numbers when we talk about talent. AU is much more talented than Miss State. 

The difference might be the coaching. OR it might be the difference between players in a system for the first year vs more established coaching. Only time will tell. 

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Of course he gets a pass. It is his first season. What kind of craziness would have to exist at AU to fire a coach after one season? Lol 

Just imagine the type of coaching we would attract if we fired a 1st year HC. It's a sure fire way to tank the program. We just have to bite our tongues and at least get through year 2 imo. Hopefully there is improvement but then all bets are probably off. We need a lot of work though.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

We don't have a single linebacker or safety capable of blitzing to counter what MSU was doing to us? :dunno:

Blitzing an air raid doesn't work out well. You don't normally have more than one or two linebackers out and of course down and distance matters but it's usually not too smart to blitz your safety.

Normally what you need is ad line that can get to the qb by themselves. But if for whatever reason you did decide to do that you need a secondary that wins their match up....we don't have any of that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what a rebuild looks like.  Harsin and team accomplished a lot of what people wanted to see this year

Oline recruits

QBs played better?

Use TEs
Defense looked like it was improving every week till Miss State and still kept South Carolina under its average. 
Recruiting is on pace with what most Auburn people would consider a good haul at the begging of the year.  Iron Bowl is packed with recruits coming in.  If recruiting isn’t top 15-top 10 next year then maybe there is cause for concern.  Let’s see who comes in and leaves through the portal.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Agreed. This season has shown me that we were left with worse talent and depth on D than I realized. No depth on the line and at LB. No great pass rusher EDGE, even though I do think Height has promise. Secondary though I'm less forgiving because I do think their is depth there, but I understand Mason needs system guys too.

My only quip against MSU is that I thought we should have gotten more aggressive to change the momentum. Probably get burned, but maybe worth trying since Rogers was picking us apart anyways. Maybe you get lucky and get a big sack or make Rogers make a mistake

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shabby said:

This level of talent argument is baffling. Perhaps in certain position groups but overall this team is much more talented than Mississippi state Georgia state and South Carolina. 2 9f those we lost to and one we snuck away with a last second win. What tune would people be singing if Finleys last second pass was incomplete in the Georgia state game. Would we be blaming it on talent level?

How many players did we loose to the NFL, graduation and the transfer portal? How many defenders did we sign off of the transfer panel? Where on God's green Earth does our OLine stack up to anyone?  The lack of talent is real to say otherwise is asinine.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, DAG said:

Okay let's do this and don't run from this 

USCe averages 23 points a game. The defense gave up 21 ppg. You really want to blame the defense for the offense only putting up 17 points on a team that gives up on average 23 points per game? Vandy put up more points on USCe than we did.

The defense held every single SEC team we faced below their average PPG except Mississippi State.

The defense is in the top half of in rushing defense and scoring defense in the SEC. They are pitiful at passing defense and yards of course par bend don't break

The offense is in the bottom half in every metric of the conference statistically. But you are saying both the defense and the offense are on the same footing and you are calling me a liar? 

Total O ranked 8th

Total D ranked 8th

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

How many players did we loose to the NFL, graduation and the transfer portal? How many defenders did we sign off of the transfer panel? Where on God's green Earth does our OLine stack up to anyone?  The lack of talent is real to say otherwise is asinine.

The talent was good enough to beat the number two team in the SEC west, Ole Sis. The talent was good enough to go up by 25 points and 14 points in two weeks but then the talent was so bad we blow both of those leads? Do you see how that doesn’t make sense? The talent was good enough to beat Penn State then we call a fade on 4th down in the end zone. Fourth and one decide on a deep pass with a second string quarterback on the road?

This stupid coaching decisions had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with coaching!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:21 AM, Jaba4ever said:

Same. Fire Bobo and hire literally anyone else. A pulse should be the only requirement. Fire Mason and give Coach O a call. Could use his help in recruiting.

can‘t agree that more !   Recruiting is more of a big issue than the last 3 losess!

• Like 1