Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

It's baffling because you think rushing 3 allows the players to rest when all it does is extend drives and keeps the secondary running in coverage for 10 second routes.  And yes it is also strategy but when that strategy evidently doesn't work i.e. the Mississippi state game you change your strategy.  I would also love to know why we didn't have the personally to run pressure blitz and 4 man rushes during the Mississippi state game but suddenly had the personal one week later when that's exactly what we did... effectively

We did run it at times against msu. I know that's what we ran when we have up at least one td. Actually maybe 2. 

I never said running a 3 man allows players to rest. Don't know where you got that from. And I don't know why you aren't understanding that msu and south c are two different teams....  you do understand an air raid offense is different right? Football isliterally all about match ups. Even if it was true that we didn't blitz or run 4 man fronts against msu (it's not true) just because something is successful against one offense wouldn't mean it's going to be successful against another offense

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

But once again.....WE DON'T HAVE DEPTH.  We aren't going to be able to keep and maintain a super high level of play while these guys are getting banged and beat up on over and over and over. Especially when the offense doesn't sustain drives.

Seems pretty clear that you're implying that a three-man rush allows our players to be more rested because we don't have DEPTH  to run a sustained four-man Rush. I think your cake it's completely wrong. You might want to look at the time of possession for the Mississippi State Auburn game see how well a sustained three-man pressure package worked on getting our men off the field on defense

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Seems pretty clear that you're implying that a three-man rush allows our players to be more rested because we don't have DEPTH  to run a sustained four-man Rush. I think your cake it's completely wrong. You might want to look at the time of possession for the Mississippi State Auburn game see how well a sustained three-man pressure package worked on getting our men off the field on defense

Lol you can't be serious....if you have a rotation of 5 d linemen then you can see how running a 4 front line impacts a group as opposed to a 3 right? 

But the part of your argument that will never make any sense....you don't have anything that suggests a 4 man line leads to success. If the guy that's the 4th man that comes in isn't good at rushing the qb what are you even arguing? 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol you can't be serious....if you have a rotation of 5 d linemen then you can see how running a 4 front line impacts a group as opposed to a 3 right? 

But the part of your argument that will never make any sense....you don't have anything that suggests a 4 man line leads to success. If the guy that's the 4th man that comes in isn't good at rushing the qb what are you even arguing? 

There's plenty of evidence. Open your eyes. Look around the nation with teams much less talented on defense with much less depth than us on defense running for man lines. You can look at our season 2 for examples which I've already pointed out. After the embarrassment that was Mississippi State Mason put in pressure practice packages against South Carolina and it was much more effective. This notion that we don't have the depth to put four men on the line is asinine. You have zero evidence of that. People keep making the argument that our team is what it is because we lack Talent. I guess all those years of top 10 recruiting classes just left us so depleted that we can't field a full defensive front. This argument is ignorant and it just excuses poor decision-making. I guarantee you if Kevin still was still our coach you wouldn't see this three-man front garbage that we're seeing today. I also guarantee you that when we play Alabama you're not going to see it three man Rush anymore. I feel like Mason has seen the stupidity of his ways. But what will your argument be if suddenly were rushing with four players this Saturday. Did we finally find somebody capable of filling the role but did our coaches see what everybody else sees that a three-man front simply does not work. I look forward to revisiting this conversation with you on Sunday

• Like 1

The problem is that in the offseason the expectation was that the defense would be good enough to carry the team. Right or wrong there was hype. Pound the football, kill clock, get to the fourth quarter and lean on defense. The Mason hire had way more excitement and expectations than Bobo.

Combine that with the fact that most of us knew that the offense was a huge disaster for years and needed an overhaul. I don't put it all on Mason because I realize the depth on D wasn't as good as thought. The unit was simply way overhyped. They are ok, but not great when our poor offensive talent spots you 25 points

I think I read in one of these threads, that during the MSU game, our 3 man rush resulted in almost a 90% completion rate and over 10 yds per attempt (somewhere close to 30 attempts) and our 4 man rush resulted in a 50% ish completion rate and under 5 yds per attempt with somewhere over 20 attempts.

If that is correct info, then based on those stats the 4 man line did have a significant impact and we just did not do it enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shabby said:

There's plenty of evidence. Open your eyes. Look around the nation with teams much less talented on defense with much less depth than us on defense running for man lines. You can look at our season 2 for examples which I've already pointed out. After the embarrassment that was Mississippi State Mason put in pressure practice packages against South Carolina and it was much more effective. This notion that we don't have the depth to put four men on the line is asinine. You have zero evidence of that. People keep making the argument that our team is what it is because we lack Talent. I guess all those years of top 10 recruiting classes just left us so depleted that we can't field a full defensive front. This argument is ignorant and it just excuses poor decision-making. I guarantee you if Kevin still was still our coach you wouldn't see this three-man front garbage that we're seeing today. I also guarantee you that when we play Alabama you're not going to see it three man Rush anymore. I feel like Mason has seen the stupidity of his ways. But what will your argument be if suddenly were rushing with four players this Saturday. Did we finally find somebody capable of filling the role but did our coaches see what everybody else sees that a three-man front simply does not work. I look forward to revisiting this conversation with you on Sunday

What teams with much lower talent than us with much less depth ran a 4 man front the entire game against an air raid high tempo offense? What example?

If we are rushing next week with a 4 man front against something like an ace formation it would make complete sense because now you are taking a shot against an offense where more than likely will have only one deep route ran. 

The only way you could make a point if we came out blitzing and 4 man rushing bammer and they were running 4 and 5 wide all game. 

You are literally not understanding personnel and match ups, you think it's smart to blitz all offenses the same. That's why you aren't comprehending what I'm saying. 

Have you looked at our d line? What top ten talent is playing on our line right now? Your probably should stop with the stupid and ignorants because you're not even understanding pretty basic defensive match up concepts. 

I haven't ever said we don't have enough depth to field a 4 man front defense in general. Miss st is a special offense that spread the defense out and they also run a fast tempo which is designed to tire a defense out, especially the d line. Comparing South c and bammers offense to theirs doesn't make any sense

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I think I read in one of these threads, that during the MSU game, our 3 man rush resulted in almost a 90% completion rate and over 10 yds per attempt (somewhere close to 30 attempts) and our 4 man rush resulted in a 50% ish completion rate and under 5 yds per attempt with somewhere over 20 attempts.

If that is correct info, then based on those stats the 4 man line did have a significant impact and we just did not do it enough.

Those stats appear to tell a story if accurate.

• Like 2

Those of you saying it’s the defense’s fault, you’re right.   Our D is not good this year at all!!!

Those of you saying it’s the offense’s fault, you’re right.   Our O is not good this year at all!!!

Those of you saying it’s the coaching staff’s fault, you’re right.   Our coaching staff is not good this year at all!!!

So we all agree on one thing at least.  
War Eagle, anyway!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

Impressive.  One thing we do need to keep in mind about whoever is the DC or OC at Auburn is are they going to develop the players for the next level also, specifically WR's and QB's, so they're prepared for the NFL.  I'm guessing some offenses/coaches maybe do that better than others.. our last one comes to mind.

19 hours ago, AU-24 said:

The talent was good enough to beat the number two team in the SEC west, Ole Sis. The talent was good enough to go up by 25 points and 14 points in two weeks but then the talent was so bad we blow both of those leads? Do you see how that doesn’t make sense? The talent was good enough to beat Penn State then we call a fade on 4th down in the end zone. Fourth and one decide on a deep pass with a second string quarterback on the road?

This stupid coaching decisions had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with coaching!

What doesn't make sense is how you cannot see the obvious .  Ole sis is way overrated and the coach is as stupid as a rock with his analytics.  I do believe we had all of our starters for that and the Arkansas game.  There is no depth on the defensive line or DB's.  Your agenda is clear but the real question is why?

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

What doesn't make sense is how you cannot see the obvious .  Ole sis is way overrated and the coach is as stupid as a rock with his analytics.  I do believe we had all of our starters for that and the Arkansas game.  There is no depth on the defensive line or DB's.  Your agenda is clear but the real question is why?

What you are calling my agenda is coming from USA Today and BSPN. This is what the sports nation is thinking of us. Wether Ole Sis is overrated or not can be debated but the bottom line is they’re going to finish number two in the SEC West with, at times, third string and walk on players. Every team is beat up and starters are injured etc. Beat-up or having injuries has nothing to do with a fourth down fade into the end zone. It has nothing to do with a fourth and one throwing the ball long with your second string quarterback on the road. It has nothing to do with leaving a running game that’s working when you have one of the best running backs in the nation in the backfield. It has little to do with blowing a 25 point lead. It’s coaching man, it’s coaching!

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, woodford said:

It we keep Mike Bobo to keep his THREE STAR OL son committed then I am done with this football program. 

I will be honest with you, I don't think either coordinator is worth very much.

Bobo helped Bo progress and we score points in the first half.  In some games, we scored enough to win, but did not.  The biggest problem is what are we doing after about 15 plays?   Seems to be a crapshoot and I see what everyone else sees in the second half - an inept offense for various reasons.  And the short yard play calling ?!?!?!?!  

• I think Harsin needs to 'use his words' and  call BS and override some of that stupid crap if he is gonna wear a headset.  Otherwise just take it off.  It's a bad look.

Between the two coordinators, I think Bobo has more redeemable qualities and we have some OL kids committed.   Not sure what the Derek Mason "bamboo defense" brings us.  Is he bringing us any high potential recruits?  I know we got Kaufmann because of Mason...But Kaufmann isn't setting the world on fire and doesn't make up for the mess we have in the second half of most games.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I will be honest with you, I don't think either coordinator is worth very much.

Bobo helped Bo progress and we score points in the first half.  In some games, we scored enough to win, but did not.  The biggest problem is what are we doing after about 15 plays?   Seems to be a crapshoot and I see what everyone else sees in the second half - an inept offense for various reasons.  And the short yard play calling ?!?!?!?!  

• I think Harsin needs to 'use his words' and  call BS and override some of that stupid crap if he is gonna wear a headset.  Otherwise just take it off.  It's a bad look.

Between the two coordinators, I think Bobo has more redeemable qualities and we have some OL kids committed.   Not sure what the Derek Mason "bamboo defense" brings us.  Is he bringing us any high potential recruits?  I know we got Kaufmann because of Mason...But Kaufmann isn't setting the world on fire and doesn't make up for the mess we have in the second half of most games.

I want both gone. You said it perfectly. After a couple drives they seem to stall. He can’t make the necessary adjustments. That’s a red flag. If you can’t score points in the era of high flying offenses then why are you employed at a big time SEC program? I think we would be a fine QB/passing game coordinator but he should not be the guy in charge. He has no history of assembling and trotting out high powered offenses. Georgia fans are convinced he cost them opportunities at a title or two. 

He is not worth holding on to for recruits. It’s laughable to even suggest it. What recruits? Boston College has a better class than us right now. 

As far as Mason goes I’m sort of dumbfounded. Vanderbilt fired him so that makes him a coveted available talent. Is this the twilight zone? You think a 5* DB being recruited gives a flying you know what he has HC experience at the the worst SEC program?

They can’t recruit. Next. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

What you are calling my agenda is coming from USA Today and BSPN. This is what the sports nation is thinking of us. Wether Ole Sis is overrated or not can be debated but the bottom line is they’re going to finish number two in the SEC West with, at times, third string and walk on players. Every team is beat up and starters are injured etc. Beat-up or having injuries has nothing to do with a fourth down fade into the end zone. It has nothing to do with a fourth and one throwing the ball long with your second string quarterback on the road. It has nothing to do with leaving a running game that’s working when you have one of the best running backs in the nation in the backfield. It has little to do with blowing a 25 point lead. It’s coaching man, it’s coaching!

Yep. I am specifically talking defense. Thing is, Harsin is not getting fired. Neither is Mason. Bobo? I don't know. But to deny there is a lack of talent on this team is asinine.  It's mind boggling that people are just sweeping that under the rug to make their points legit. You can have the best game plan ever invented but if you don't have the talent then it won't work.  There is only so much you can do to cover up weakness. But you do you bud.

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:16 AM, aucat said:

Recruiting is more of a big issue than the last 3 losess!

Bingo. Like I said, there is only 1 way out of this mess: Recruiting. There comes a point in time where your talent is so good that even you can’t screw it up (see UGA). 
Sign every new recruit to an NIL deal. Give them free everything. Give them a car from a dealership. At this point everything is on the table. If we don’t do this, we will be left behind.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well I personally know one 5* db in this class and that absolutely matters to him. You guys man 😂

There’s reaching and then there’s this 

🤡

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know we got Kaufmann because of Mason...But Kaufmann isn't setting the world on fire and doesn't make up for the mess we have in the second half of most games.

Here are the points allowed by Mason's D in the second half this season:

33 (the one outlier that is fueling this narrative)

Keep in mind the O has usually disappeared in the second half, leaving the D on the field too long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, woodford said:

There’s reaching and then there’s this 

🤡

You are definitely on some clown stuff but I guess it's expected now

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Here are the points allowed by Mason's D in the second half this season:

33 (the one outlier that is fueling this narrative)

Keep in mind the O has usually disappeared in the second half, leaving the D on the field too long. 

just for perspective.....against P5 teams, that is giving up 14pts in 2nd half of each game.  is that good or bad?  idk, but obviously bad if we aren't scoring 15 😝

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

just for perspective.....against P5 teams, that is giving up 14pts in 2nd half of each game.  is that good or bad?  idk, but obviously bad if we aren't scoring 15 😝

So that means if Ole Miss wins they have a terrific defense as long as offense out scores them?