Giving Coach Harsin a pass this season

tbone4jc

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Here are the points allowed by Mason's D in the second half this season:

33 (the one outlier that is fueling this narrative)

Keep in mind the O has usually disappeared in the second half, leaving the D on the field too long. 

Now take out the wins and the cupcakes.

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

So if you do the same with everyone (Bama for instance), their defense stinks as they gave up mucho points to A&M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

So if you do the same with everyone (Bama for instance), their defense stinks as they gave up mucho points to A&M.

You really don’t think that this is one of Alabama’s best defensive teams, do you?   By the standards that they have set, yes their defense does stink.   Their offense is pretty dang good though 

9 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

You really don’t think that this is one of Alabama’s best defensive teams, do you?   By the standards that they have set, yes their defense does stink.   Their offense is pretty dang good though 

I don’t think it is one of their best, but that is a long way from stink.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Why would you take away the wins? Or any games if you’re trying to get an assessment of the entire season? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cbo said:

Keep in mind the O has usually disappeared in the second half, leaving the D on the field too long. 

And that is a really good point, but I am not a favor of making the DBs cover for so long - we can't get any pressure from up front.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Why would you take away the wins? Or any games if you’re trying to get an assessment of the entire season? 

Because most feel that the offense is the sole problem with the team 

On 11/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, e808 said:

The mold has nothing to do with the piss poor decisions causing the team to lose games. People keep making excuses about stuff he can’t control. It’s the stuff he can control that’s alarming. The talent isn’t horrible. U really think the current recruits are better than what’s on the field. Year 2 will still heavily depend on the previous coaches players. 
Your players old players it won’t matter unless the decision making is better.

An each loss there has been at least two WTH moments. Can exclude Georgia because no one was expecting to win that game.

What piss poor decisions caused them to lose games?

And before you answer, ask yourself what alternative decision could have be made that the players were capable of executing...

13 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

And before you answer, ask yourself what alternative decision could have be made that the players were capable of executing...

Are u kidding asking me that question. Those decisions in question have been repeated throughout this board for weeks. Where have u been. If u don’t know then we have nothing to discuss. Maybe I have been watching a different Auburn game

Edited by e808

18 minutes ago, e808 said:

Are u kidding asking me that question. Those decisions in question have been repeated throughout this board for weeks. Where have u been. If u don’t know then we have nothing to discuss. Maybe I have been watching a different Auburn game

The assumption that there would have been a more favorable outcome with different decisions made is short sighted IMO. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

The assumption that there would have been a more favorable outcome with different decisions made is short sighted IMO. 

So u telling me a go for broke play instead of running tank or Finley on 4 and 1 is short sighted . That bad play lead to them having a short and making the game tied. Again u are entitled to ur opinion. 

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Yes, his defense is good enough to be ranked 8th in the SEC. Same as the O!

As far as the second half points not given up, I guess this blows the theory that he has no depth, and that’s why he’s ranked eighth in the SEC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

As far as the second half points not given up, I guess this blows the theory that he has no depth, and that’s why he’s ranked eighth in the SEC.

Someone said the defense has been a mess in the second half. I simply listed the stats. 

4 hours ago, cbo said:

Someone said the defense has been a mess in the second half. I simply listed the stats. 

And it doesn't matter 1st half or 2nd half. All that matters is pts at the end. 

The top four scoring defenses in the SEC ranked nationally.

Scoring D :

#1 UGA:. 7.55 pts/gm 

#3 TAMU: 14.55 pts/gm

#19 Bama: 19.22 pts/gm

#37 Auburn: 22.0 pts/gm 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cbo said:

Bro these people ignore stats. You just had a guy tell you that by Bama standards they stink. Yes if you are irrational fan, which they have like we do. You should see the discussion NS has on the rivals thread. It is on point about that. But in reality, based on PPG they are #3 in the conference and top 20 in the nation. More prominent is the other half of the ball is doing their job, this is why they only have 1 loss.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And it doesn't matter 1st half or 2nd half. All that matters is pts at the end. 

The top three scoring defenses in the SEC ranked nationally.

Scoring D :

#1 UGA:. 7.55 pts/gm

#19 Bama: 19.22 pts/gm

#37 Auburn: 22.0 pts/gm 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Good point, but you are missing Texas A&M. Now you should do scoring offense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don't know why you keep using this stat. Total offense premise is shaped around YPG. You can be someone like Cincinnati who is in the top ten for scoring offense but not even in the top 40 for Total offense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good point, but you are missing Texas A&M. Now you should do scoring offense.

Fixed. Thanks

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Bro listen, you'rearguing with people who are saying for a guy because he won't push the pass rush button......no exaggeration, you're arguing with people who are saying all we had to do is line up in a 4 man front and we'd then have sacks. That's it. 

If you bring up strategy, style, rotations, tempo, down and distance, personnel.....any of that stuff you are stupid. YOU are stupid if you think it through. You gotta realize what you are up against

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cbo said:

Those are impressive. He must have a whole heap of 4 and 5* guys wanting to sign for this 2022 class then since he’s so incredible. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Bro these people ignore stats. You just had a guy tell you that by Bama standards they stink. Yes if you are irrational fan, which they have like we do. You should see the discussion NS has on the rivals thread. It is on point about that. But in reality, based on PPG they are #3 in the conference and top 20 in the nation. More prominent is the other half of the ball is doing their job, this is why they only have 1 loss.

There’s way too many people on here who don’t know even the basics of the sport that they so called love. I think some of these people trying to act ignorant on purpose to put blame on the coordinators and get the heat off of Harsin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BizTiger said:

12 hours ago, e808 said:

How about almost any 4th down with 2 or less yards in which we don't run the ball - and there have been several.  I will start with with the first competitive game -  Penn State throwing to an underclassman who can't get separation at the goal line (where it is infinitely harder to get any separation).  That play call absolutely removed our chance of tying or winning the game.   And I will finish with the last game in which Tank is averaging 7.5 yds per carry (PER CARRY) and we have TJ toss it 20 yds downfield into double coverage.  (reminder: this is TJs only week of practice that he got all the 1st team reps in over a year).   Just converting that would not have won us the game, but it would have converted a key first down at the 40ish.   The games between had several other perfect examples, but you get my point. 

It is very safe to say when a HC espouses "we have to have a 4th and one mentality" then we have to be physical team willing to get one yard when needed by running the ball.   

Also - special teams: you don't have your punter toss the  ball into the center of the field when the opponent is in a "punt safe" formation.   Dumb, dumb, dumb.    Lastly,  with D Rob not fielding the punt at USC - you have to call off your own players so they are not near the ball, just in case the oblong ball bounces funny.  Hmmmm.  This is basic stuff. 

Those are 4 such plays that come to mind, that our current personnel can absolutely execute or we could expect them to execute or we should not have a football program.  

@BizTigerIf your question was rhetorical, forgive me, but I think you really did not know of any such moments the coaches really goofed.  Either way - best wishes on Thanksgiving and War Eagle anyways. 

And for the record:  I am a huge Harsin fan, but I call it the way I see it. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Didn't know much about Coach Bobo prior to him being here, but he seems like a capable QB coach and game plan creator. With that being said, he should forfeit play calling duties. It does not good to have adequate skilled player coaching if they are not put in the best position possible tp be successful. There is no reason on 4&1 to be doing a play action pass with a green QB. He is 6'7..All you have to do is ask him to fall over for the first. Secondly, if you are going to do a play action pass, at least have tank in as an adequate decoy. Third, we do not have are most consistent wr Kobe during this game. Do you really trust any of these WRs to make a play on the ball during that pressure moment? There just seems to be no rhythm or rhyme for how he does things and that is scary to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

There’s way too many people on here who don’t know even the basics of the sport that they so called love. I think some of these people trying to act ignorant on purpose to put blame on the coordinators and get the heat off of Harsin

You seem to be the one that doesn’t have a clue about football.   I’m the one that said the Bama defense stinks remark.   And it’s true.   In past years, you would never see the mistakes they have made on defense.    And I said by their standards.    
This whole narrative of pitting whether the offense or defense is the cause of losses is hilarious to me.   It’s both and to lay blame at just one is ridiculous.    It’s about as shortsighted as a football fan could be.   And everyone is on a message board giving opinions, just like this one, doesn’t make you or anyone else more knowledgeable 

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do you really trust any of these WRs to make a play on the ball during that pressure moment? There just seems to be no rhythm or rhyme for how he does things and that is scary to me.

answer:  not at all - for most games this year, our best WR was is a 'hand me down' from UGA.

But to your other point, and I agree with it mostly, until the TAMU game, I have be ecstatic with the playing calling with regards to the fact we have been totally unpredictable.   And I know I just articulated  the aforementioned stupid stuff I outlined above, but remove those 3-4 key plays from the 80 plays in the game and I really like how Bobo and Auburn have become much more unpredictable.   

I am a knucklehead and I could predict what Auburn was going to do half the time last few yrs.   I am sure DCs used to love playing Auburn.  

We are not far away from being a dangerous team.  But need an OL

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2