My fear is it's too quiet

AUght2win

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Bobo gone. Harsin tightening or loosening grip on coordinators. Starting spots reopened. Brutal or intense practices. Players-only team meetings. Problem players kicked to curb. Coaches upping intensity on recruiting. 

I don't know. The stuff you typically hear when someone is trying to right the ship. Especially when things are this bad off kilter. 

You don’t hear any of that stuff leak out of well ran programs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You don’t hear any of that stuff leak out of well ran programs

Just not true at all. Great coaches will often make it clear in pressers that starting spots are going to be reevaluated or give not so subtle ultimatums to their staff that things need to improve. It's well documented Harsin was openly disgusted with receiver play dating back to spring, and then he gave Corn the axe.

Hearing about players only meetings or players challenging players is also very common. Will Anderson at Alabama has thrown the gauntlet down several times this year, particularly after Florida and A&M.

I'm a very optimistic person but I'm trying to learn not to ALWAYS bend over backwards to find a bright side. I don't think there's anything good about silence/stagnation during a historically bad slide.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just not true at all. Great coaches will often make it clear in pressers that starting spots are going to be reevaluated or give not so subtle ultimatums to their staff that things need to improve. It's well documented Harsin was openly disgusted with receiver play dating back to spring, and then he gave Corn the axe.

Hearing about players only meetings or players challenging players is also very common. Will Anderson at Alabama has thrown the gauntlet down several times this year, particularly after Florida and A&M.

I'm a very optimistic person but I'm trying to learn not to ALWAYS bend over backwards to find a bright side. I don't think there's anything good about silence/stagnation during a historically bad slide.

I mean, are our coaches incapable of asserting that to the players themselves?? And that’s only one part of what you said, all the drama related things, that’s not stuff that’s said in public by good programs

10 minutes ago, selias said:

My primary take away from the OP and his thread is that he misses the drama.

I like that some of y'all consider stuff like staff changes and locker room leadership "drama". Drama is PTB interference, legal scandals, losing a locker room, etc.

If you don't know the difference between a refusal to accept losing and "drama", then I genuinely feel bad for you. 

18 hours ago, Pat Fossum said:

Whining to a ref about a call when your team should just be taking care of business so that the refs are not a factor seems like the farthest thing from "hard nosed" I can think of. If you want to run a disciplined program you lead by example.

I'm not looking for it happening all the time. But, strategic losing-their-minds is not a bad thing. Thinking of a different sport, it's like when a baseball team is totally listless and the manager goes out and goes bat**** on an ump after a bad call, kicks dirt, screams, gets redfaced, maybe steals second base literally...it can totally energize the players. Bobby Cox was a master at it. He didn't argue every call, but golly could he get after it when the bigger picture called for it, and nobody ever called him "undisciplined."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I'm not looking for it happening all the time. But, strategic losing-their-minds is not a bad thing. Thinking of a different sport, it's like when a baseball team is totally listless and the manager goes out and goes bat**** on an ump after a bad call, kicks dirt, screams, gets redfaced, maybe steals second base literally...it can totally energize the players. Bobby Cox was a master at it. He didn't argue every call, but golly could he get after it when the bigger picture called for it, and nobody ever called him "undisciplined."

About a decade ago there was a huge fight between position coaches on the South Carolina sideline when they were playing at UGA. After the game they asked Spurrier what he thought. "Well, at least I know they care."

Somebody needs to show they care right now.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole “this is what I expected stuff is a load of bullsh*t! Did you expect 6-6? Maybe. But nobody expected us to look like a strong contender all the way through October only to get embarrassed at home by Mississippi St, and then promptly go to SC and get embarrassed there. This is about as bad as you can end a season. And if Harsin can somehow keep excitement alive enough to hold our recruits and pick up some more good ones, I’ll be in complete shock and awe. We have absolutely nothing going for us as a football program right now. All we heard all offseason was that this guy “hates losing”. But his actions say otherwise. His postgame pressers are f’ing ridiculous. He just pretends this crap was all part of his plan somehow. I agree with OP. If this team had the intensity and culture that they were supposed to have under him we’d see it this week and last week. The only attitude I see is a “nothing matters because we can still beat Bama” attitude. Odds are Bama rolls in and shows our guys just how bad things can get if you don’t have a winning attitude. 

The simple fact of the matter is that we have regressed as a football program under Bryan Harsin so far. There is less positivity at this point than there was last year. We are worse in recruiting, and there isn’t even the hope that the AD can make a change and bring us a “home run hire”. Oh and throw in the fact that we’ve had such piss poor roster management that the best player on our team could just up and leave after the season is over and nobody would even blame him.

We are stuck in quick sand and there isn’t a way out if we don’t land some better recruits soon. 

So you expected us to win how many games?  Eight? Nine? Ten? More?  If so, you must be unable to see the glaring weaknesses of this team.  Those being a C- (grade) offensive line, a C receiver corp, a C+ QB stable, a C+ defensive line and a B- defensive backfield.  Combine those factors with a new head coach that has no SEC coaching experience and you get a 50% to 60% win percentage.  Oh, and a strong contender doesn't almost get blown out by Georgia State at home...

Yes, the season went pretty much how I expected.  I predicted a 7-5 season with losses to LSU (got that one wrong), Georgia, A&M, One of the Mississippi teams and Bammer.  I missed one but finishing 6-6 is just slightly below expectation.  IMO, expecting much more than this was unrealistic; given the current makeup of the team.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s not the record but just think, over the last two weeks we have been beaten by cellar SEC teams with 2nd year coaches and nowhere near the talent that we have including a walk on QB at SC. Say all you want but personally I think that sucks. Those two games is enough to fire Harsin today. And I don’t want to hear about one bad call cost us the game. It wasn’t like our offense was running up and down the field before the fumbled kick. I doubt seriously if we got the quick we would have won the game.🤔

• Like 5

On 11/23/2021 at 7:58 PM, gabo4au said:

I think it's being handled perfectly.

I don't want to hear anything, see anything, or any "leaks" of anything, until the season is over! Period. 

In the past, AU has always been about drama. How do you think the term JABA came about?  No more drama! Be professional, courteous, and keep the drama away. That's called a "culture change." I know it's a foreign thing for JABA's, but let's enjoy it and hope it continues.

Im always tickled at people wanting to see smoke coming from a coaches ears when things are going bad. The better coaches know when to dial it up and when to dial it back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It’s not the record but just think, over the last two weeks we have been beaten by cellar SEC teams with 2nd year coaches and nowhere near the talent that we have including a walk on QB at SC. Say all you want but personally I think that sucks. Those two games is enough to fire Harsin today. And I don’t want to hear about one bad call cost us the game. It wasn’t like our offense was running up and down the field before the fumbled kick. I doubt seriously if we got the quick we would have won the game.🤔

moo state is never gonna be an easy W while Mike Leach is there and he has QBs recruited for his offense.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:37 PM, creed said:

The B&Moaners, the I know how to fix it, and now the Drama Queens. What the hell is next...LOL. 

That’s all this board is for the most part…except you forgot hypocritical….SMDH.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I doubt our team heard this kind of pep talk last week when the zero to zero reference was preached by our HC.  Some coaches just know what motivates their players more than other. The audio puts it out in a better perspective….

Leaked Audio: Kirby Smart's halftime speech at Florida
Views
Nov 16

This audio is supposedly from Kirby Smart's halftime speech vs Florida. Language warning!! Transcript: "I still remember, like yesterday, walking out this b*tch at the half. The look and the feeling I had, looking at Tyson, looking at Stokes, looking at those guys…You know what guys? This is our f*ckin year, this is our f*ckin year and we do it by how we play. It’s zero to f*ckin zero and you make ‘em never want to play again. All that sh*t they’re talking - I love it Jamaree – you didn’t say sh*t. You don’t say sh*t to ‘em, you just laugh and point at the scoreboard. Let me get a picture JD, point at the f*ckin scoreboard. DON’T SAY SH*T to their undisciplined a$$. Because we are, WE ARE DISCIPLINED! And our asses are gonna kick the f*ckin sh*t out of ‘em, physically! Physically I want to break ‘em, I’m talkin’ bout f*ckin break these b*tches on defense and offense.”

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I guess I'm not tuned in. Can you give multiple examples and links?

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I like that some of y'all consider stuff like staff changes and locker room leadership "drama". Drama is PTB interference, legal scandals, losing a locker room, etc.

If you don't know the difference between a refusal to accept losing and "drama", then I genuinely feel bad for you. 

No, I consider yaking about it to the press, and the fans, and starting a bunch of crap to be drama.  I don't take what he's done, or not done, as "accepting losing."

Our coach DID fire a coordinator during the season, remember the wide receivers coach? But he didn't make a big drama case out of it. He didn't publicly humiliate the coach or the players. He didn't stir up a bunch of crap. He, without any fans knowledge of disappointment, decided when it was time for him to go and he was gone. Then he didn't dwell on it in the media, he just moved on. 

That's a culture change. That's not trying a person in the court of public opinion. It's methodical, precise, and professional. Something we've not had at AU in a long time.

Will it continue, or work out great, or produce the correct results? Only time will tell, but I'm glad whatever is happening is happening in private in a controlled and professional manner. Kudos for that! Kill JABA!!

16 hours ago, Shift said:

So you expected us to win how many games?  Eight? Nine? Ten? More?  If so, you must be unable to see the glaring weaknesses of this team.  Those being a C- (grade) offensive line, a C receiver corp, a C+ QB stable, a C+ defensive line and a B- defensive backfield.  Combine those factors with a new head coach that has no SEC coaching experience and you get a 50% to 60% win percentage.  Oh, and a strong contender doesn't almost get blown out by Georgia State at home...

Yes, the season went pretty much how I expected.  I predicted a 7-5 season with losses to LSU (got that one wrong), Georgia, A&M, One of the Mississippi teams and Bammer.  I missed one but finishing 6-6 is just slightly below expectation.  IMO, expecting much more than this was unrealistic; given the current makeup of the team.

Don't forget the Bullshat calls that have impacted games! This is about what I expected. I knew going into the season that the offense didn't have a superstar. I was hoping that Tank could carry us, but he has been a different back this year. He had opportunities early and seemed to disappear for a few games and has put the ball on the ground WAY too much. We knew the OL wasn't very good and that we didn't have any receivers with experience. We have been depending on THUGA's #4(at best) receiver to be our playmaker?

WE NEED TO give Harsin a FAIR chance at turning our program around. Who are some realistic replacements that the fire Harsin crowd wants? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gr82batigr said:

It’s zero to f*ckin zero and you make ‘em never want to play again.

This. Every game. If the guy in front of you wants to play another quarter, you failed in your assignment.

• Like 4

I see some things that worry me too.  Defensive players that leave their feet and try to tackle with no arms.  An offensive coordinator that’s supposed to recruit but not.  Weak lines.  And no fight when a team gets off the ropes.  I know our talent is down, but I’m seeing some things that indicate we’re crumbling as a program.  I don’t think harsin has a plan that fits auburn.

22 hours ago, GAAubie said:

WE NEED TO give Harsin a FAIR chance at turning our program around. Who are some realistic replacements that the fire Harsin crowd wants? 

Spot on!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

I see some things that worry me too.  Defensive players that leave their feet and try to tackle with no arms.  An offensive coordinator that’s supposed to recruit but not.  Weak lines.  And no fight when a team gets off the ropes.  I know our talent is down, but I’m seeing some things that indicate we’re crumbling as a program.  I don’t think harsin has a plan that fits auburn.

Interesting. Have you seen the plan? If so please share. 

Edited by creed
  • Love 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, Shift said:

I expected us to struggle on the road at PSU in loss, toss up at LSU, beat Arky, lose to UGA, Bama. Split Texas AM and Ole Miss. 4 or 5 losses. Not 4 losses in a row to end the season looking about as awful as you could imagine. We’ve never lost 4 in November.

Context of those losses matter and you know it. What I didn’t expect was for us to implode at the end of the season with a new coach and sh*t the bed against Miss St at home and South Carolina. I also didn’t expect our offense to look worse at the end of the season than at the beginning. Or for recruiting to be in a do or die situation with the latter meaning that we are royally f’d for years to come. 

You can sit here and act like you knew this would all happen, but if we knew that our program would regress like this throughout the first season, most of us would have thought hiring Harsin was a huge mistake. You’re supposed to improve as you progress with a new staff. 

• Like 4

I didn't expect to win more than 6-7 games this year but I wanted to at least see 1) improvement and 2) close, competitive losses.

We failed on both. And the coaching in the last two games was indefensible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I expected us to struggle on the road at PSU in loss, toss up at LSU, beat Arky, lose to UGA, Bama. Split Texas AM and Ole Miss. 4 or 5 losses. Not 4 losses in a row to end the season looking about as awful as you could imagine. We’ve never lost 4 in November.

Context of those losses matter and you know it. What I didn’t expect was for us to implode at the end of the season with a new coach and sh*t the bed against Miss St at home and South Carolina. I also didn’t expect our offense to look worse at the end of the season than at the beginning. Or for recruiting to be in a do or die situation with the latter meaning that we are royally f’d for years to come. 

You can sit here and act like you knew this would all happen, but if we knew that our program would regress like this throughout the first season, most of us would have thought hiring Harsin was a huge mistake. You’re supposed to improve as you progress with a new staff. 

Also didn’t know we would lose starting QB and our Kicker. Not sure that would have beaten MSU but I firmly believe we would have won at USCe.