Jump to content
Null

Men vs UConn Game thread


Maverick.AU
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Tough loss but we won this in regulation if not for the striped asshats. Idk how many points they literally gave UConn. Sanogo fouled out in regulation. They wouldn't have called his 5th if he threw someone into the 10th row. Learn from it. We will get better. This is November. Flanagan not even playing. Can be a VERY good team. We have a lot of options we've never had. Sh***y refs always piss me off though. They affect too many outcomes.

Amen brother!  s***ty unequal refs suck. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Auburn guards who are not very tall insist on driving to the basket and getting their shots blocked. It is like none of them have ever heard of a pull up jump shot. Also they don't know how to feed players down low. We can get away with one short guard but we really need Flanagan when he returns he is the complete package.

This may be the worse game Smith has played at Auburn he is tentative on offense.  He will get better I expect his next game to be one of his best after watching game film. This is first time the player guarding him is almost as good as him physically and is older and understands game better. I like this happening to him now as I think he will grow from this game.

Boy did I speak to soon about Jabari. I thought he would learn from this game and be better for it, but I didn't expect such a turnaround in the same game. My hat is off to Jabari. My hat is off to the whole team they played their hearts out. Once we get Flanagan back this team will be scary good.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Boy did I speak to soon about Jabari. I thought he would learn from this game and be better for it, but I didn't expect such a turnaround in the same game. My hat is off to Jabari. My hat is off to the whole team they played their hears out. Once we get Flanagan back this team will be scary good.

Imagine our guards with KD and Flanagan in the game. Could be special

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until I looked at the box score I didn't realize what a solid game Kessler had 14 points, 10 rebounds. 2 assists, 1 blocked s*** even though he had at least two other clean blocks that the ref's called fouls on. I saw two from Kessler, one from Jabari, and one from Moore in all of then when they showed replays they were clean blocks.  If the refs called fouls same way on both teams we win in regulation. KD 27 points, Green with 19 points, Williams with 12 points, Smith 22 with 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Lots of people played tough full court D in the second half causing a lot of turnovers.

I am so proud of this team if they play this hard whole game instead of just second half we will win a lot of games. We got contributions from multiple players.

UConn was 15- 26 from 3. UConn also out rebounded us that is where the big guards made a difference but we caused 24 turnovers against 15 of our own. They run a very clean half court offense and take advantage of mis-matches they are very good team with a lot of older players. This game long run will really help Auburn.

When we can put Flanagan on the floor against big guards he can make a huge difference just with his D and he probably has the best all round offensive game of any of our players. Jabari by second half had figured out that he needed to go hard to the rack if Kessler ever figures out the same thing he will be really good. Kessler had one drive in 1st half where he should have gone hard and dunked instead he veered off and had shot blocked if he had gone hard worse case is he would have been fouled and shooting 2 but probably would have been a dunk with a +1.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These kids are good - real.damn.good. KD was incredible. The fight and effort is what you want - I think they learned some good lessons here. That said...

Practice rebounding off of free throws. Some points got away from us there. 

Lets not get behind and need a mad dash to get back in it - these guys have all the talent and I think they will believe in it now- they just need to fight harder earlier and bury teams. 2nd game where it took some hard work in the 2nd half.

3 point shooting - man do they need it. It was better than the last game but they still haven't found the range

Sad to think that Jabari is only here 1 year - it will be fun to watch. So much more confidence in this game vs the other night. It's going to get scary for the opponents.

KD Johnson is incredible - my lord that steal and then taking the ball the distance straight to the rack. BOOM. LOVED THE CONFIDENCE EVERY TIME HE TOUCHES IT.

Hard to believe but that may have been game of the year - this early in the season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Until I looked at the box score I didn't realize what a solid game Kessler had 14 points, 10 rebounds. 2 assists, 1 blocked s*** even though he had at least two other clean blocks that the ref's called fouls on. I saw two from Kessler, one from Jabari, and one from Moore in all of then when they showed replays they were clean blocks.  If the refs called fouls same way on both teams we win in regulation. KD 27 points, Green with 19 points, Williams with 12 points, Smith 22 with 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Lots of people played tough full court D in the second half causing a lot of turnovers.

I am so proud of this team if they play this hard whole game instead of just second half we will win a lot of games. We got contributions from multiple players.

UConn was 15- 26 from 3. UConn also out rebounded us that is where the big guards made a difference but we caused 24 turnovers against 15 of our own. They run a very clean half court offense and take advantage of mis-matches they are very good team with a lot of older players. This game long run will really help Auburn.

When we can put Flanagan on the floor against big guards he can make a huge difference just with his D and he probably has the best all round offensive game of any of our players. Jabari by second half had figured out that he needed to go hard to the rack if Kessler ever figures out the same thing he will be really good. Kessler had one drive in 1st half where he should have gone hard and dunked instead he veered off and had shot blocked if he had gone hard worse case is he would have been fouled and shooting 2 but probably would have been a dunk with a +1.

 

Sanogo was simply in Kessler's head everywhere on offense. Which, with the way that guy was defending, I can't blame him. But he had a spirited effort in spite of that and played his heart out. I don't think he'll look like a star this season with how many mouths will have to be fed, but if you can just get him comfortable in seeking out his spots, and not just settling for what's given, he'll be a sensational 4th or 5th option this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact that they had a height advantage against our 1-2 the entire game and vs our 3s for half of it, and against our 5 the entire game, I think we mitigated that advantage as well as one could, between some tough finishes and fight on the boards. 

You can also see why KD had to start today. Forget the offense, there just wasn't a matchup on the court for Wendell most possessions. There's definitely going to be games going forward where he starts, and he's going to need to figure out how to contribute more than that deep shot. I think he can, this is his first few games on the best level of CBB, but we'll see! 

I'm gonna take a big big gamble, and bet that our closing lineup in March will be Zep-KD-Flan-Jabari-Jaylin. Against a non-super sized team that is

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sanogo was simply in Kessler's head everywhere on offense. Which, with the way that guy was defending, I can't blame him. But he had a spirited effort in spite of that and played his heart out. I don't think he'll look like a star this season with how many mouths will have to be fed, but if you can just get him comfortable in seeking out his spots, and not just settling for what's given, he'll be a sensational 4th or 5th option this season.

I agree but to make him more effective we need guards who look inside and pass inside that will elevate Kessler and Smith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree but to make him more effective we need guards who look inside and pass inside that will elevate Kessler and Smith.

Very true. Jesper looks to pass, get others involved. Passing seems to be the very last alternative for Green. He's listed as a PG, but he's really a SG. He doesn't have an assist mentality at all. We do have a lot of players that can score though. Once they come together, could be a scary team. It's nice to have options down low and driving the ball - not just heaving up 3s. With that said though, we start hitting 3s at a better clip then look out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feel way better about this teams potential than I did before the game. If we can get Cambridge, Moore, and Cardwell to step it up from liabilities to decent role players even better. All about how you're playing in March. Bruce will shorten the bench once conference play hits and Flanny gets back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree but to make him more effective we need guards who look inside and pass inside that will elevate Kessler and Smith.

Right. I recall at least twice where Kessler appeared to have space down the lane off a pick and roll where a high lob would made for an easy bucket. Didn't happen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...