Do travel bans make one xenophobic or racist?

bigbird

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Asking for a friend...

Theoretically, could there be some travel bans that stem from bad motives (such as xenophobia) and others that stem from good and reasonable one?

• Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Theoretically, could there be some travel bans that stem from bad motives (such as xenophobia) and others that stem from good and reasonable one?

I previously thought so, but was repeatedly corrected on that stance the last few years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I previously thought so, but was repeatedly corrected on that stance the last few years.

I see your point.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I see your point.

So does every other member that post here. That's why so many haven't posted in this thread. Certain members bristle when their hypocrisy and fake outrage is pointed out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

So does every other member that post here. That's why so many haven't posted in this thread. Certain members bristle when their hypocrisy and fake outrage is pointed out 

Oh, I’m well aware of the bristle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, it is definitely crickets from the hypocrisy crew on this board….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Yeah, it is definitely crickets from the hypocrisy crew on this board….

Wait till "wait in Mexico" goes back in effect today...

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 7:28 AM, bigbird said:

Bless your heart. 

• Like 1

Travel bans don't work in the modern era.  Covid omicron is already here in North America.

(But we should place a travel embargo on China and all "****hole" countries anyway, for the obvious reasons.)

Edited by homersapien

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Travel bans don't work in the modern era.  Covid omicron is already here in North America.

(But we should place a travel embargo on China and all "****hole" countries anyway, for the obvious reasons.)

Fauci said the travel bans will help delay the spread of the variant and allow for additional research and preparation. 

“If you're going to do the travel ban the way we've done now and that we’re implementing right now, utilize the time that you're buying to fill in the gaps,” he said. The bit of extra time allows experts to “learn more about the virus [and] learn what its relationship is to the antibodies induced by vaccines.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/28/omicron-variant-fauci-america-523413

If you disagree with Dr Fauci, you are disagreeing with *the science*; therefore you are a science denier.  Shame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/29/2021 at 1:59 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Fauci said the travel bans will help delay the spread of the variant and allow for additional research and preparation. 

“If you're going to do the travel ban the way we've done now and that we’re implementing right now, utilize the time that you're buying to fill in the gaps,” he said. The bit of extra time allows experts to “learn more about the virus [and] learn what its relationship is to the antibodies induced by vaccines.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/28/omicron-variant-fauci-america-523413

If you disagree with Dr Fauci, you are disagreeing with *the science*; therefore you are a science denier.  Shame.

I do agree with Fauci that a travel ban may "buy a little time", but that simply confirms my premise.  They don't really work very long.

Anyway, I was referring to all the MAGAs who seriously think we can isolate ourselves from the rest of the world - particularly the part of the world who don't look exactly like us.

Here's a refresher for you. (It wasn't that long ago.)

AP FACT CHECK: Trump and the virus-era China ban that isn’t

https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-anthony-fauci-pandemics-politics-ap-fact-check-d227b34b168e576bf5068b92a03c003d

(Sorry if I stepped on your "gotcha". :rolleyes:)

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Music trivia...........  This song was written by Bruce Springsteen and released on his first album in 1973 (although his version was commercially unsuccessful).  Manfred Mann's version reached #1 in Feb 1977 and remains Springsteen's only #1 single as a songwriter.  

• Like 2

This would be like trying to discuss Koine Greek with a Southern Baptist: a waste of time and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over their head

It's is a fruitless discussion no matter what. The way that either side handles it is just silly.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, homersapien said:

SMH....

You could have saved yourself some typing by just stating you are xenophobic and racist.

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, 1716AU said:

The way that either side handles it is just silly.

Precisely! 

However, in this arena one is demonized and one is praised for the exact same thing. One is xenophobic and racist, the other is proactive safety measures. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Precisely! 

However, in this arena one is demonized and one is praised for the exact same thing. One is xenophobic and racist, the other is proactive safety measures. 

You're right.  Welcome to US Politics 101.  Looks an awful lot like Roman politics, but without the knife in the back...SO FAR

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Precisely! 

Actually, Trump is xenophobic and racist regardless of his travel ban policies.  Just look up "coronavirus" or "Kung fu" virus and the resulting consequences of such rhetoric.  if that doesn't work, look up "Trump, Racism".  (And I've already alluded to his comments about  "****hole countries".)

Hell, one could make an excellent argument that a large part of his campaign strategy was appealing to racism and xenophobia.

Does that make him racist?  Well, at the very least he was willing to capitalize on the racial fear of others for political reasons, which is just as bad IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/donald-trump-racist-presidential-debate-coronavirus-elizabeth-warren-b721192.html

https://theconversation.com/trump-lost-but-racism-is-alive-and-infused-in-u-s-history-149249

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/opinions/replacement-theory-animates-trump-backers-dantonio-cohen/index.html

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump-insists-on-using-racist-language-will-that-approach-win-him-support

Bottom line, trying to establish equivalence either in racism/xenophobia - or hypocrisy - based on travel restrictions is weak.  Very weak.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

Meanwhile GOP congresswomen are having a Twitter fight over whether American Muslims are all terrorist or not. 

but yeah, when the GOP limits immigration from Africa, middle east, and S. America it totally has nothing at all to do with skin color or religion...absolutely not. 

why would anyone even think such a silly thought. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1