Post game - Iron Bowl

AUBwins

6 minutes ago, AUGnome said:

That's twice he's played a hurt QB. Having never seen DD play myself, I'm not sure what that means, maybe they don't like him. Also I thought they officially had Grant Loy was the backup.

Not sure you can hold the Bo situation against Harsin.  TJ tonight though clearly had a massively blown tire.  

I’m clearly not the coach, but it’s hard for me to believe a broken TJ was the best option for winning this game over Loy or DD when it came down to the end, even if DD is way down the depth chart. 

Coaching got us up for the game and gave us a chance. Heck of a kick by Patton to extend overtime. Thought the defense would make the stop to win the game and they didn't. I love that we didn't give up. We showed so much heart and physicality that was missed last year. 

• Like 1

I have this really bad feeling that between the portal and graduation, we are about to get completely decimated personnel  wise. We are going to see a completely new team out there in game one of next year. This game was the seniors last big hoorah before we look like Arky of 3 years ago. And we were so close.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Heck of a kick by Patton to extend overtime. 

Patton deserves at least one vote for biggest set of balls out there. What a pressure kick….

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have this really bad feeling that between the portal and graduation, we are about to get completely decimated personal wise. We are going to see a completely new team out there in game one of next year. This game was the seniors last big hoorah before we look like Arky of 3 years ago. And we were so close.

And if that happens, we'll make a coaching change. Simple.

Could’ve just been a blow out ya know..but the universe keeps creating new ways to make us suffer. 4 OTs…what a nice twist. 

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That was the best chance we were going to get to win the game at that point. Why put Finley back out there on the 25 with a back up kicker? Bama had the momentum. Our defense had already done everything we could have asked of them and more. Offense needed to win the game there. Just my take.

Completely agree and I said it at the time. This is not second guessing. 

That said, I don't think it was a ridiculous, terrible decision to kick the extra point. Just not the best call. 

• Like 1

So, after everyone gets their moral victories out of the way....

3rd game in a row we blew a half time lead.

4th or 5th game out of 5 or 6 we scored 0 points in the second half. 

At some point trends get put on coaching. This has to be corrected. I'm not sure if it is Harsin or it's Bobo/Mason.

Feel like more of the blame should land on Bobo and the offense right now.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

I fully prepared to leave my brothers house at half time with a blowout. Stayed until now watching one hell of a game.

Positives:

Defense played their hearts out and Mason finally used pressure.

Skill players on offense busted their ass.

Shout out to the Kicker keeping us in the game with a damn 49 yards.

Crowd had a major impact on a young BY.

Recruits have to be happy with what they just watched.

Negatives:

TJ ain't the guy

No clue why the coaches kept TJ in the game with that ankle. We could have iced it with even a subpar passing threat on our last regular possession drive.

Run blocking was absolutely horrendous. Tank had nowhere to go all game.

Why we didn't have a deep safety bailing out the corner on that last pass baffles me. They had one WR to worry about and he killed us on every crucial play.

It's funny when everyone thinks it's a blowout incoming (with our trajectory it looked that way) then we play like that and people act like they're furious we didn't win outright.

We don't have the horses on the OL to run the ball how we needed to... TJ's injury killed us. Not having Anders cost us 3 when we punted from like the 35.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:
22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That was the best chance we were going to get to win the game at that point. Why put Finley back out there on the 25 with a back up kicker? Bama had the momentum. Our defense had already done everything we could have asked of them and more. Offense needed to win the game there. Just my take.

Completely agree and I said it at the time. This is not second guessing. 

That said, I don't think it was a ridiculous, terrible decision to kick the extra point. Just not the best call. 

I really wanted a two-point try there as well. Oh well……

But, if we would have done that and it failed it would have been another topic for another moronic thread. Man, we were so close…..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

No clue why the coaches kept TJ in the game with that ankle. We could have iced it with even a subpar passing threat on our last regular possession drive.

Probably says a lot about DD not being the guy either. Loy was the next man up.

What seems somewhat frustrating is TJ seemed to throw OK late in the game and in over time. We couldn't We do any quick route with him? Might have been enough on some quick hitches or something 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I really wanted a two-point try there as well. Oh well……

But, if we would have done that and it failed it would have been another topic for another moronic thread. Man, we were so close…..

That is definitely true. 

We were SO close. Hurts to lose this one. I get that, but some of the reactions on here are even worse than I expected. When will I learn, Fred!!!??

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

3 key plays in regulation that kept us from winning.

Late in the 3rd qtr or early in the 4th, we get the ball at our 45 and TJ throws that interception. We had a chance to put them away and instead they come away with a field goal. That's where the tide turned.

2. That phantom holding call on the 40 yard swing pass to Hunter. Another chance to put the game away taken away.

3. Tank not having the wherewithal to stay inbounds killed our chances.

And a few no-call intentional grounding calls on bama’s final drive.  

and possibly the face masking call that got erased in OT2.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

That is definitely true. 

We were SO close. Hurts to lose this one. I get that, but some of the reactions on here are even worse than I expected. When will I learn, Fred!!!??

When you do, tell me the secret so that I will know

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So, after everyone gets their moral victories out of the way....

3rd game in a row we blew a half time lead.

4th or 5th game out of 5 or 6 we scored 0 points in the second half. 

At some point trends get put on coaching. This has to be corrected. I'm not sure if it is Harsin or it's Bobo/Mason.

Feel like more of the blame should land on Bobo and the offense right now.

Plenty of reasons to complain about coaching this season. For me, this game isn't one of them. 

We played so much better than expected. Just check the Iron Bowl prediction thread. The same people who said we would lose by 20 are complaining about losing in 4 OTs. With the dumb OT format, it's almost meaningless to lose after 4. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What seems somewhat frustrating is TJ seemed to throw OK late in the game and in over time. We couldn't We do any quick route with him? Might have been enough on some quick hitches or something

Thought this as well.  Especially that 3rd down after Tank went out of bounds. They brought the house. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

correct me if I am wrong, but a picked up flag on that facemask call on Tank cost us the game.

No, we still scored a TD on that drive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

correct me if I am wrong, but a picked up flag on that facemask call on Tank cost us the game.

Where the guy had Tank's earhole? It was a terrible and suspicious no call, after flags were thrown. But I'm pretty sure that was the first OT where we scored a TD anyway. 

To me, the most egregious call was the holding on Hunter's 42  yard play. That play would have been a huge swing and I honestly believe it could have lead to putting the game away. 

• Like 3

Just now, cbo said:

Plenty of reasons to complain about coaching this season. For me, this game isn't one of them. 

We played so much better than expected. Just check the Iron Bowl prediction thread. The same people who said we would lose by 20 are complaining about losing in 4 OTs. With the dumb OT format, it's almost meaningless to lose after 4. 

How about that format, BTW? I didn’t even know the rule had changed until tonight. I don’t like it at all. 

Good points about expectations. As much as this loss stings, I find it hard to place blame. More than anything, we showed out in front of a packed house and a boat load of top recruits. Hope it translates to commitments 🤞

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Defense maybe not. Definitely plenty of questionable calls from Bobo. 

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yea, hate the OT deal, but thought maybe it helps us with the mobility thing.  Thought maybe we could stop Bama once. But it takes away our greatest weapon,  Saban screwing up a FG try.  Lol

Edited by AUBwins