Post game - Iron Bowl

AUBwins

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I get not wanting to put DD in a situation like that in his first year and have him make a boneheaded play.  But why not have a backup QB ready?  Why not have a wildcat package ready?  Why not ask TJ to make some safe short throws in the 4th Q like we asked him to do in OT?  So many questions.

Short answer is the offense wasn’t prepared but the defense sure as hell was.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I get not wanting to put DD in a situation like that in his first year and have him make a boneheaded play.  But why not have a backup QB ready?  Why not have a wildcat package ready?  Why not ask TJ to make some safe short throws in the 4th Q like we asked him to do in OT?  So many questions.

This. All the sudden in OT those formations are there ?? High percentage throws just magically appear . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

Its basically a coin flip after the first two. And just to get my .02, those of you saying we should have gone for 2 after the first OT TD, I get it. But....you know good and well if we did and missed it all sorts of people would be screaming it was the dumbest thing they've ever seen. Likely to be wrong either way. Just is what it is. 

I disagree.   I think it was obvious to every fan that TJ wasn’t healthy and Auburn was having trouble moving the ball.   Alabama was starting to find a grove on offense because the defense was worn out.  I thought it would have been a hell of gutsy call and if they had used to two point play they used in the third OT, I think it would have worked.  

Alabama is not that good. They haven't been all year. 

Nearly lost to Florida, LSU, Arkansas, and did to TAMU.

I don't want to hear we "took the #3 team to 4 OTs". No, we let a very vulnerable Alabama team win a game they didn't deserve. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I don’t know of another way here . Bobo has been coaching for years and clearly knows what AU has. His play calls at times are mind boggling. Recruiting will take a hit though , but AU is 33 in the country. Who gives a s*** I guess 

There is no other way.

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

I don't want to hear we "took the #3 team to 4 OTs". No, we let a very vulnerable Alabama team win a game they didn't deserve. 

They did not deserve that win, UA is mediocre team and will get mashed next Saturday. We absolutely blew it 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

The best way not to hear it, is to do something besides read posts here, and make stupid ones. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This feels likw 2009.  I hated it then and I hate it now.

It's every fan's right to feel how they want to feel. But I'm disappointed so many are cheering this as if we won. 

We've lost 4 straight. Tonight we found ourselves in the absolute most winnable (situationally) of any of the previous games. And we found a way to lose.

Sick to my stomach. Not at all happy about this one. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

It's every fan's right to feel how they want to feel. But I'm disappointed so many are cheering this as if we won. 

We've lost 4 straight. Tonight we found ourselves in the absolute most winnable (situationally) of any of the previous games. And we found a way to lose.

Sick to my stomach. Not at all happy about this one. 

The game was there to win.  We blew it.  That simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The question becomes, is Drew Bobo and he boy worth keeping Mikey around for another year or two?

No it’s not. 3 straight double digit leads blown . He goes ASAP .. thats bad football .

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The game was there to win.  We blew it.  That simple.

My fear is that blowing leads is a feature and not a bug for Harsin. The Boise fans said it was a constant. We didn't lost to USC, MSU, or Alabama because of talent. So I am afraid things may not improve much in terms of closing out games and playing consistently.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Bobo was not a popular hire from day one.   No matter what he does people are gonna find fault in what he does because they simply don't like him from his previous job performances.  For example, Bo flat out said that he had 5 pre-snap reads to make on the 4th and 1 play and he chose to throw the fade.  Everyone blames Bobo because one of the routes is a fade.  Personally I was indifferent on the Bobo hire and I don't have much of a problem with his play calling.  I do not think we have the right talent to run the offense that the coaches really want to run. We shall see.  To each their own, I guess.

While I agree Bobo doesn’t have much to work with on offense it’s hard for me to see him getting another chance next year.  At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bobo back next season either.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

While I agree Bobo doesn’t have much to work with on offense it’s hard for me to see him getting another chance next year.  At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bobo back next season either.

I think you have to give him another season, they need some playmakers with more consistency.   I feel confident that our TE room will continue to improve and hopefully become more involved.  I think we can improve at every WR spot, not sure we got anyone who has shown enough consistency to be a dependable wr, Hudson maybe but he is probably a 3rd wr at best.  OL talent and development I am trying to keep an open mind for next season.  I think I saw improvement with every lineman that got significant playing time but I also think that they hit their ceilings in the talent level.  There were so many times where the right play call was made and one player failed to execute whether it was a missed assignment, poor throw, missed hole to hit, dropped ball, poor route, not stepping up in the pocket, etc.  

I am not an excuse maker, but I have seen enough that I think this offensive staff can be successful in the future.  With that being said, I also expect better results next year.

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

My fear is that blowing leads is a feature and not a bug for Harsin. The Boise fans said it was a constant. We didn't lost to USC, MSU, or Alabama because of talent. So I am afraid things may not improve much in terms of closing out games and playing consistently.

Yeah. A thousand reasons to lose, but a couple of remote possibilities for a win remained on the board- unused. We'll see.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I thought we would get stomped, not the results I was hoping for, but what a helluva experience for recruits, which was loaded with talent today

Unfortunately there are a number of people on this board that aren’t capable of comprehending that.  

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Unfortunately there are a number of people on this board that aren’t capable of comprehending that.  

At the end we just needed two or three competent offensive plays. Are you able to comprehend that?

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Was hoping we would go for 2. When you are outmanned like we were at that point, your best chance of winning is getting 3 yards on one play. 

It was actually Harsin who called the play when Boise State beat Oklahoma in the Bowl game. I thought for sure he would go for two.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

WR spot, not sure we got anyone who has shown enough consistency to be a dependable wr, Hudson maybe but he is probably a 3rd wr at best.

Shocked anyone can have such a low opinion of Kobe.

I think he leaves Auburn as the best WR we've had this century 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

Can we keep mason and axe Bobo?

There were rumors on other boards last week that Jeff Schmedding would have a huge role in the game plan for the Iron Bowl, to the point of basically being DC. No clue if it's true, and I'm not saying this to downplay Mason. Just that if it is true I think Jeff would deserve to have a bigger influence next year