Post game - Iron Bowl

AUBwins

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Heck of a game by Auburn. Defense played lights out. Was going to be hard to beat them with a back up QB. We gave them Hell!!

Extremely proud of the players but the play calling and late game defensive strategy killed us IMO.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, e808 said:

The refs weren’t the greatest but they gave Auburn more calls than I expected. Auburn just didn’t finish. They let Auburn DB’s get pretty physical when they usually would throw a flag.

I agree. There was one w McCreary that was obviously pass interference on us that they let slide and I was shocked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I agree. There was one w McCreary that was obviously pass interference on us that they let slide and I was shocked.

Yup.  We lost because of us.  Not the refs.

• Like 2

I do have a question...several times their QB was still in the pocket and threw the ball without a receiver in the area...shouldn't he been called for intentional grounding????

2 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

I do have a question...several times their QB was still in the pocket and threw the ball without a receiver in the area...shouldn't he been called for intentional grounding????

There were 2, if I remember correctly. He threw the ball with no receiver in the area. 

59 minutes ago, e808 said:

The refs weren’t the greatest but they gave Auburn more calls than I expected. Auburn just didn’t finish. They let Auburn DB’s get pretty physical when they usually would throw a flag.

--- and ditto @ThurstontheWelshCorgi

I cynically played the 'refs will throw the game' card pre-game, too. I was surprised at the numerous calls against uat. I was like, 'so somebody in this officiating crew is getting the axe cuz they aren't doing what they usually do.' But uat was really playing undisciplined and amateurish more than usual (nice to see). Yeah, they missed some. I'm too often an armchair officiating critic and I 'felt' like it was pretty liberal and fair across the board. Yes, it sucks that in a rare game where we didn't have to defeat the 12th foe on the field like we usually do, we struggled to field 11 of our own in the last few seconds. I hope the players feel the accomplishment they should. It's (still) Great to Be an Auburn Tiger!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

I think (maybe) the AU rush had a hand on him and you could interpret that that skewed the trajectory. Would have been nice if they'd called grounding.

6 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

IMO I don’t think it would have mattered. Once Bama got out from the shadow of their end zone Auburn was in trouble . The defense was tired. 

8 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

I'd love to post the skycams if available from CBS but on the replay it looked like there were guys near by each time

Not sure how anyone could enjoy this loss. I wood have rather been blown out by 49 than lose like this.  I realize that may be unpopular opinion I just don’t do moral victories. We should have won period.  

• Dislike 1

Didn’t get a chance to watch the game but just wanted to say I am damn proud of our boys. Couldn’t be happier to be an Auburn fan. Not big into confident booster losses but this is the thing that can lead us to momentum in the off season. Let’s win this damn bowl game and recruit our asses off. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Not sure how anyone could enjoy this loss. I wood have rather been blown out by 49 than lose like this.  I realize that may be unpopular opinion I just don’t do moral victories. We should have won period.  

I can understand this thought process. But, we were 20 point dogs( probably 25 considering we were at home), playing our 2nd string QB. And we held them scoreless for 3 1/2 quarters after giving up big leads the last 2 games. I’m damn proud of this team . Every player left it all on the field! All I’ll ever ask!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Don't think anyone is enjoying the loss. Just because some acknowledge and appreciate the effort put forth against heavy odds doesn't mean they enjoyed losing. No such thing as a moral victory in my book but the guys played hard. And if we had lost by 49 you would not be feeling better. No one believes that and I doubt you do either. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It won’t. Never will. Ensuring a bama win ensures an SEC presence in the CFP. 

I'm still fuming over a couple calls and non-calls. 

But, to be fair, there were a few very bad calls that went against Bama.

Refs just absolutely suck this year. Something needs to be done. With all the money in college football, how about pay these guys a decent salary, train them up, and then fire them if they can't do the job. 

21 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Go directly to your room and recite The Auburn Creed until sunrise. Only then will all be forgiven.🤪

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

It took 4 years but TD finally played the game we thought he could.  Thought we would get a safety on that last drive, another chance to ice the game.  

We should have I saw two holds in the end zone but knew they would not call that.

19 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Don't think anyone is enjoying the loss. Just because some acknowledge and appreciate the effort put forth against heavy odds doesn't mean they enjoyed losing. No such thing as a moral victory in my book but the guys played hard. And if we had lost by 49 you would not be feeling better. No one believes that and I doubt you do either. 

This.  I'm pissed we lost.  But the fight from an overmatched team is beyond admirable.

Reminds me a ton of 2009.

56 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Agreed with the caveat that bammer routinely mugs our receivers in that same fashion without consequence. So getting 1 free one for us and several equivalent no calls was pleasantly unexpected.

3 hours ago, AuMarine said:

TJ was hurt and we can’t run a wildcat package or zone read with DD or even Loy.  Questionable calls on the offensive side is not a good look. The defense was amazing. 

Loy can’t hand off without fumbling. 

Guest MustardSeed

Everyone should just stop and consider one thing. If Bo doesn’t get hurt during the MSU game, we likely put a few more drives together and win that one. We certainly win at USCe and we likely win tonight. IYAM Harsin and his staff had a perpetually underdeveloped and undermanned team in a position to go 9-3 and knock off the #3 team in the country to close out the regular season with just one less injury.  Anyone angry should step back, take a breath and realize teams with injuries at major positions often fall off big time. Gus never once had usable backup qb his entire career here yet we suddenly expect a new coach that was literally given a team with ONE usable qb who got injured to already have everything worked out in the backup qb category even though they literally had to bring a transfer to even have a backup. Clemson shows how difficult it is to win with underperforming qbs. Bo will surely be back next year and has improved a ton since Gus left and with a new recruit coming in and either DD or a transfer hopefully in the mix we should be a different offense next year.  
Our first year coach was just one play away from knocking off a #3 team in the country with a hurt backup qb.   It was a big recruiting weekend also and we put on a heck of a show and showed plenty of cause for recruits to want to come play here. So go sleep it off. It’s gonna be alright. 

I keep reading about how big this recruiting weekend was (it always is duh, it’s the Iron Bowl) but we’ve got to sign these guys or it’s gonna get worse. Closing the season with a 4 game losing streak and crapping the bed on the recruiting trail will put Harsin on a super hot seat, first year on the job or not. Early signing period is right around the corner. 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I respectfully disagree. Auburn got more than enough calls . If Auburn gets a field goal after the 15 yard penalty for roughing TJ. Game over. Do enough that u don’t need the calls. The refs let Auburn DB’s get away with stuff that were flags in other games

Not true. They let AU db’s play man to man like bammer does all the time with no pi calls. It was just close to even tonite and so many people think the refs favored us. 

34 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm still fuming over a couple calls and non-calls. 

But, to be fair, there were a few very bad calls that went against Bama.

Refs just absolutely suck this year. Something needs to be done. With all the money in college football, how about pay these guys a decent salary, train them up, and then fire them if they can't do the job. 

Why was the face mask flag in OT waved off? I was watching on mute at work, and it very clearly looked like the bama player had his hands on the side of Tank’s face mask.