Finley

JMassie11

Gutsy performance by him and you can’t be mad at the guy. It’s also clear there’s smoke to the rumors of DD transferring after tonight.

• Like 7

Not at all, and he did enough to win the ballgame.  Play-calling wasn't suited for him, nor did it give us a chance to win.  So many opportunities with possession starting at midfield or better.  Even with the missed opportunities, if he runs the ball after the pick we win.  Even if we don't gain a yard, game is over.  Throws a pass on routes Finley had been over-throwing.  Pick for bama and the rest was inevitable. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Gutsy performance by him and you can’t be mad at the guy. It’s also clear there’s smoke to the rumors of DD transferring after tonight.

Agreed. I’ll withhold my opinion of him moving forward for now because he earned some respect tonight 

Just now, USATiger said:

Not at all, and he did enough to win the ballgame.  Play-calling wasn't suited for him, nor did it give us a chance to win.  So many opportunities with possession starting at midfield or better.  Even with the missed opportunities, if he runs the ball after the pick we win.  Even if we don't gain a yard, game is over.  Throws a pass on routes Finley had been over-throwing.  Pick for bama and the rest was inevitable. 

He did basically nothing for 4 quarters except for one 50/50 ball that led to Auburn's only end zone score in regulation. Of course. The run game was nonexistent  so it's hard to open up the passing game if you can't run it.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

Gutsy performance. He has a high ceiling but is just so raw. I think we see more movement in the QB room than people think. I think at least 1 of the 3 are run off, maybe 2. Have been wanting us to pursue a transfer this offseason as well. Cant have enough depth 

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

He did basically nothing for 4 quarters except for one 50/50 ball that led to Auburn's only end zone score in regulation. Of course. The run game was nonexistent  so it's hard to open up the passing game if you can't run it.

it was a liability for some of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter.  

24 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Finley gave it all he had and then some. No one should be calling him out. He has tremendous heart, and he has definitely not had the best coaching, or a consistent O-Line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Finley gave it all he had and then some. No one should be calling him out. He has tremendous heart, and he has definitely not had the best coaching, or a consistent O-Line. 

Disagree.  He played hurt I’ll give him that.   But he is getting coaching.   O line needs improvement.   He is not the answer at qb.   

• Like 1

I don’t think he was particularly good before the injury, but the most frustrating thing is that touch is what’s keeping him from being that. He just doesn’t seem to be able to make up for the height difference between him and these smaller receivers. He seems to have a report with Landen King, at least. 
Idk if you can fix that problem, but I hope he does just because there is some raw talent there. His problem for feel is just wonky. He sometimes feels pressure well, and he sometimes looks like he’s not understanding where guys are coming from. It’s so odd

All in all, I think he did enough to win when healthy, but just the bare minimum

• Like 2

Proud of the team, but hurt or not, Finley continued time and time again to make bad decisions in this game. If he is our starting quarterback next year we are in serious trouble. 
Once again recruiting bit us. Finley was a last minute desperate addition needed by this staff for terrible recruiting in years past. Glad he is on the team because we needed somebody to play, and he waS gutsy, but he is not a good QB. He is now 0-2. 

I'm so pissed that CBS barely even noted how gutsy he played. Absolute warrior. I mean, they legitimately hardly mentioned it. 

If it was Corral or Young that would have been ALL they had talked about.

• Like 5

Two things can be true: TJ Finley has been a serviceable back-up, more than capable of winning us games and sans-injury could've gotten us the win against Bama. It can also be true that as we saw today (taking avoidable sacks, some questionable throwing decisions, ect.) Bo Nix elevates the offensive potential even if slightly. The fact that on passing downs Bama often left the middle of the field wide open. A healthy Bo Nix keeps a few drives alive and we win a shutout given how out-of-their-minds the defense is playing.

I appreciate Finley. He's wearing the Auburn jersey and didn't do anything to negatively affect the game until after he got injured. And still he tried his best to put the team on his back.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm so pissed that CBS barely even noted how gutsy he played. Absolute warrior. I mean, they legitimately hardly mentioned it. 

If it was Corral or Young that would have been ALL they had talked about.

They talked about Bama losing a receiver to targeting way more than the fact that we are down a QB and a kicker. 

52 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Proud of the team, but hurt or not, Finley continued time and time again to make bad decisions in this game. If he is our starting quarterback next year we are in serious trouble. 
Once again recruiting bit us. Finley was a last minute desperate addition needed by this staff for terrible recruiting in years past. Glad he is on the team because we needed somebody to play, and he waS gutsy, but he is not a good QB. He is now 0-2. 

He is starting his second game vs the #2 team.  How can you say he isn't it?  He didn't make game killing mistakes like Bo still does in his 3rd year.  As much slack as we have given Bo for years, I think we let TJ grow and get coaching before we call him a bust. 

• Like 2

TJ wasn’t great from the beginning but he did enough right up until he was injured and should have been pulled.. kid played his heart out but he didn’t have it tonight.. and the coaching didn’t help him at all.. once again the play calling was a bad.. he missed a couple receivers and had a couple bad throws but running on 1st and 2nd and then putting him in an obvious 3rd and long passing situation did him no favors. The bama defense just pinned their ears back and ran over our OL. 

8 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

He is starting his second game vs the #2 team.  How can you say he isn't it?  He didn't make game killing mistakes like Bo still does in his 3rd year.  As much slack as we have given Bo for years, I think we let TJ grow and get coaching before we call him a bust. 

He ran out of bounds on several occassions instead of lowering his shoulder and running.  He's 6'7", 240+.

Kid has a monster arm, but he's soft.

Dare someone to tackle you when you're that big.  Cam sure would have.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He ran out of bounds on several occassions instead of lowering his shoulder and running.  He's 6'7", 240+.

Right, which is why he reminds me of JJ. He has a lot of guts, and maybe with the right coaching and play-calling he would be much better, but right now he is just not there.

• Like 2

I wished we would of run the ball in the 4th quarter after stopping them on plays instead of throwing it...it was intercepted, after that throw his throws weren't sharp...almost 2 other INT...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bust.  

25 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bust.  

It is absolutely part of it.  When you are that big, use your size.  Saw the same passiveness in person last week.

Yeah, I was hoping TJ would be like Cam. Instead, he is looking more like JJ.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

No game killing mistakes aside from the critical pick, total lack of pocket awareness on several plays, and avoiding contact repeatedly with smaller players? He was serviceable tonight, and that's about it. He has potential, I think, but not a lot of it was on display tonight. 

• Like 2

Phenomenal arm. Has a tendency to overthrow. Very little mobility. Hasn’t shown ability for touch passes. Marginal pocket presence. Trouble seeing the  field when under pressure.  Overall good backup. He is not taking any team to the promised land. I do appreciate his toughness today. 

Edited by tigerrules
  • Like 1
  • Love 1