Finley

JMassie11

3 hours ago, tigerrules said:

Phenomenal arm. Has a tendency to overthrow. Very little mobility. Hasn’t shown ability for touch passes. Marginal pocket presence. Trouble seeing the  field when under pressure.  Overall good backup. He is not taking any team to the promised land. I do appreciate his toughness today. 

He is a serviceable backup. Not a starter currently

10 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

No game killing mistakes aside from the critical pick, total lack of pocket awareness on several plays, and avoiding contact repeatedly with smaller players? He was serviceable tonight, and that's about it. He has potential, I think, but not a lot of it was on display tonight. 

He may have been coached to dodge contact in that game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Hope not 

Finley gets hurt bad enough to be taken out of the game and then what do we do? I don't think Loy could have held the team together.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Finley gets hurt bad enough to be taken out of the game and then what do we do? I don't think Loy could have held the team together.

Loser mentality.. he got hurt anyway haha. Play to win. 

• Facepalm 2

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are we preserving him for our super important bowl game? Bo starts vs Bama and we tell him not to run or get hurt? Dudes bigger then linebackers.. soft

• Haha 1

In the 4th quarter, Finley was a greater benefit to bama than AU.  I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a QB comes in and looks worse and it's really hard to comprehend...maybe drops a snap or fumbles?  Maybe ALL our backup QBs fumble the snap regularly or maybe their arms fall off?  Maybe they ALL immediately retreat 20 yards before getting tackled. Tank running wildcat would have been more effective.  The problem is, with 2 weeks to prepare, Bobo did not have a backup ready or a wildcat package ready in case something like this happened.  It's really hard to understand.

TJ gave tremendous effort playing hurt and gave tremendous effort in OT...but it's puzzling why we chose to do what we did and the only thing I can come up with is Bobo being unprepared.  Would have been better off just taking a knee on O in the entire second half.

Edited by AUDevil

I come to this board  celebrate with my fellow fans only see BS like this?!?  I just don't understand the need to only emphasize shortcomings. Everyone of our boys, including Finley, played one of the best, intense and valiant games I have not witnessed for years.

This forum has really gone downhill. I see why so many people have left this site...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, tigerrules said:

Phenomenal arm. Has a tendency to overthrow. Very little mobility. Hasn’t shown ability for touch passes. Marginal pocket presence. Trouble seeing the  field when under pressure.  Overall good backup. He is not taking any team to the promised land. I do appreciate his toughness today. 

He should be a RsFr and looked like one. He's He's plenty of time to continue to get better and be a good starting QB in 23

• Like 1

I will just say this. If we don’t recruit some good QBs ( including hitting the portal for a really good transfer) next year will be another 6 and 6 and we will be coach hunting again. Period. 

13 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

No game killing mistakes aside from the critical pick, total lack of pocket awareness on several plays, and avoiding contact repeatedly with smaller players? He was serviceable tonight, and that's about it. He has potential, I think, but not a lot of it was on display tonight. 

He was sack out of fg range int the 4th quarter. That was potentially game killing. 

• Like 1

Like most young quarterbacks he needs to improve on consistency with his delivery and quicken his decision making.  There is plenty of potential as he delivers a very catchable ball and shows signs of what he can be and do such as that pass to King.  He earned a ton of respect on the field yesterday from all the guys in the locker room.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

I come to this board  celebrate with my fellow fans only see BS like this?!?  I just don't understand the need to only emphasize shortcomings. Everyone of our boys, including Finley, played one of the best, intense and valiant games I have not witnessed for years.

This forum has really gone downhill. I see why so many people have left this site...

I think we all realize we performed well above what was expected.  We're on a football forum, it's ok to critique 

• Haha 1

Finleys effort was indeed valiant and I listened on the radio so I couldn't see if there was shying away from contact and if so I hate to hear that.

That said, just watching the highlights I can easily see him throwing four to five interceptions in a game. He made slung a few and that worked out for us that I can't see working out for us game after game next year. It's like a mix between Jason Campbell and Jeremy Johnson and it's so confusing.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I agree with you, tbone.  We should be celebrating our players efforts instead of calling them out individually and ragging on them.  Totally inappropriate, IMO.  Yes, some players made some mistakes, but no ONE player cost us the game.  Finley was a warrior out there, doing his best while hobbling around on one foot.  I bet if we had won, there wouldn’t be vultures waiting to pick him apart like this.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I agree with you, tbone.  We should be celebrating our players efforts instead of calling them out individually and ragging on them.  Totally inappropriate, IMO.  Yes, some players made some mistakes, but no ONE player cost us the game.  Finley was a warrior out there, doing his best while hobbling around on one foot.  I bet if we had won, there wouldn’t be vultures waiting to pick him apart like this.  

At one time.....it was against forum rules to call out players, especially with the kind of venom we are seeing lately. It's obviously being allowed right now and it's very detrimental in every way possible. 

This kind of hate is totally out of line, and our players do not deserve it. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, fishepa said:

Gutsy maybe, but the dude isn’t good. 

I appreciate him laying it all out but you’re right. He’s not the answer. He will be a solid backup for Bo next year. 

20 hours ago, fishepa said:

Gutsy maybe, but the dude isn’t good. 

I agree. He looks too uncomfortable in the pocket and even before the ankle injury, he does not move very well. Don’t see him ever winning a starting job at AU. As far as DD, maybe he just needs more work than we know. Excited for HG to show up and see what he can do. 

He played hard. Wished he'd played better. 

If that was Bo nobody would be allowed to say the crazy stuff being said about him though. That's sad.

I'll be glad when he and Bo are gone so maybe people can all get behind the team again

• Like 2

I just came here to find out if there were updates to his injury other than a “hurt ankle” (captain obvious).  Like is it broken? High ankle sprain?  Anything? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He played hard. Wished he'd played better. 

If that was Bo nobody would be allowed to say the crazy stuff being said about him though. That's sad.

I'll be glad when he and Bo are gone so maybe people can all get behind the team again

I will have to think if I agree with you on that. You may be right, but I remember PLENTY of threads criticizing Bo, too. The whole point is that we shouldn't be criticizing any player to the degree that fans are doing now. They are out there playing hard, they are not quitting or giving half-@$$ effort. Both those guys, and plenty of others, are playing with a lot of pain and a lot of guts. Bash the coaches all you want, people, but leave the players alone!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I will have to think if I agree with you on that. You may be right, but I remember PLENTY of threads criticizing Bo, too. The whole point is that we shouldn't be criticizing any player to the degree that fans are doing now. They are out there playing hard, they are not quitting or giving half-@$$ effort. Both those guys, and plenty of others, are playing with a lot of pain and a lot of guts. Bash the coaches all you want, people, but leave the players alone!!!

There's criticizing and there's bashing. You can't criticize Bo without a fight but NOBODY would be allowed to bash him.

I don't care about criticize. You should be able to talk about not making a throw or not seeing a wide open guy

Calling a guy wimpy, soft, scary is an entire different thing. Especially the way this guy kept playing and the shots he was taking. .. 

• Like 3