Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

2 hours ago, autan said:

Zeek are you going to project how you think this 2022 class ends up, or are there just too many unknowns right now.

There's maybe 2-3 high school guys we are still pursuing the rest is portal. Intel on portal players is almost impossible to get and decipher. 

Good rule of thumb is if a portal player visits then it might be close to a done deal already. Unlike high school recruits we don't bring in frivolous visitors for transfers.

The Lacy kid is one of the few transfers that visited and we didn't land so far. Something about that recruitment was weirdly fishy too.

Numbers wise I think we take:

2-3 OL (1 HS & 2 T)

1 DB (T)

1 LB (T)

1 RB (HS or T)

1 WR (T)

1 DL (if the staff can't convince Lee to stay)

If Dee & TJ both leave then I could see some Grant Loy type transfer for depth.

I love high school recruiting. This portal stuff... not so much lol

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Zeek said:

There's maybe 2-3 high school guys we are still pursuing the rest is portal. Intel on portal players is almost impossible to get and decipher. 

Good rule of thumb is if a portal player visits then it might be close to a done deal already. Unlike high school recruits we don't bring in frivolous visitors for transfers.

The Lacy kid is one of the few transfers that visited and we didn't land so far. Something about that recruitment was weirdly fishy too.

2-3 OL (1 HS & 2 T)

1 DB (T)

1 LB (T)

1 RB (HS or T)

1 WR (T)

Hey Zeek, I saw somewhere that Council has another year and is returning. Is that true or have you heard anything to that?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AuburnTaco said:

Hey Zeek, I saw somewhere that Council has another year and is returning. Is that true or have you heard anything to that?

Yes, it's already been announced he's coming back for a 7th year.

• Haha 1

Someone in my groupchat linked 247's comp of Robby Ashford...the comp was Joey Gatewood 

I dunno how you looked at HS Ashford and looked at 2019 Joey Gatewood and thought those were similar individuals, other than size

https://247sports.com/Player/Robby-Ashford-46043143/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

2-3 OL (1 HS & 2 T)

1 DB (T)

1 LB (T)

1 RB (HS or T)

1 WR (T)

Can you elaborate on the Lacy fishnets? I also was under the impression we had the kid in the bag. 

I just don’t see why none of our HC’s apparently have not even tried to bring Stacy Searels back to Auburn as our O Line Coach?  He is very experienced, an Auburn guy and was part of one of our best lines of the Pat Dye era.  

20 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t see why none of our HC’s apparently have not even tried to bring Stacy Searels back to Auburn as our O Line Coach?  He is very experienced, an Auburn guy and was part of one of our best lines of the Pat Dye era.  

Would depend on recruiting prowess to me.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Would depend on recruiting prowess to me.

I don't care about bringing back former AU players unless they are the best of the best.  Just get the best coaches/recruiters.

• Like 1

JJ to Ole Miss isn't a surprise.  I think he wants to play offense and I bet Lane does some creative things with him.  

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

JJ to Ole Miss isn't a surprise.  I think he wants to play offense and I bet Lane does some creative things with him.  

He'll primarily be on the DL there- Kiffin has always considered him a DL- but they'll probably get him the ball some, too. It's a shame that we weren't able to do both this past season, although I don't think that's why he's leaving. 

11 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If he wants to play offense, Kiffin will line him up at OG. He does not fit his offense (or ANY OFFENSE) at TE or any other half-baked idea other than bringing him in as a situational blocker, which we were doing anyway.

We just got poached. I see no indication that this has anything to do with him wanting to play offense. The kid is up to ~310 pounds. No, he's not playing TE for Kiffin. No, Kiffin doesn't want a slow guy with the body of a lineman playing TE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

If he wants to play offense, Kiffin will line him up at OG. He does not fit his offense (or ANY OFFENSE) at TE or any other half-baked idea other than bringing him in as a situational blocker, which we were doing anyway.

We just got poached. I see no indication that this has anything to do with him wanting to play offense. The kid is up to ~310 pounds. No, he's not playing TE for Kiffin. No, Kiffin doesn't want a slow guy with the body of a lineman playing TE.

I think JJ Pegues was already teetering once Gus left. 

He is just one of those players who needs coach support. He got it with Gus, and probably was close to some coaches on the OM staff, who recruited him too.

If his dad tried to talk him out of going right after Gus left, then that tells you right there where his mental feeling was, regardless of what position he wants to play. 

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He is just one of those players who needs coach support. He got it with Gus

Easy to believe, as that's exactly what the deal has been with a lot of guys who have left in the 13 months. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Ian Mathews in the portal.

Lets just delete the entire 2021 class at this point

Sadly that's pretty much true. At least most of them post that scripted message with their departure.