Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

We have plenty of slots under the 85 limit. That's not going to be a problem at all. We can fill all of our remaining annual slots and still not get to 85.

What's happening right now and what has been happening for the past several weeks isn't trimming the fat. It's losing highly recruited, quality players. For instance, the most recent guy to leave, Robinson, was a 4* defensive tackle out of high school who played some as a true freshman last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We have plenty of slots under the 85 limit. That's not going to be a problem at all. We can fill all of our remaining annual slots and still not get to 85.

What's happening right now and what has been happening for the past several weeks isn't trimming the fat. It's losing highly recruited, quality players. For instance, the most recent guy to leave, Robinson, was a 4* defensive tackle out of high school who played some as a true freshman last year.

He played in one game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Humorous but not surprising to see the guy who spent years talking about how it was no big deal when blue chip recruits transferred out from under Gus because they weren't actually very good...

...now saying that it's a big deal when blue chip recruits transfer out from under Harsin without having any idea if they're any good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

We can fill all of our remaining annual slots and still not get to 85.

...only if more ppl continue to leave.  You keep ignoring that part.  We don't have room to keep everyone on scholarship and add the remaining positions for the 22 class.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

For instance, the most recent guy to leave, Robinson, was a 4* defensive tackle out of high school who played some as a true freshman last year.

He was a 3* on both 247 and Rivals

Edited by W.E.D

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

...only if more ppl continue to leave.  You keep ignoring that part.  We don't have room to keep everyone on scholarship and add the remaining positions for the 22 class.

You do have room versus the 85 as the signers don't count against the 85 until they enroll. Max your annual number if they choose and max your portal replacements as well. Then  adjust roster prior to enrollment to meet 85 total. It is a fluid situation.  Too much chasing a squirrel around a tree trunk between Mikey and yourself.

16 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Yeah. We are going to need bodies though. This isn’t Boise Idaho. If this is the plan, then I’ve never seen a coach come into a major program and deplete it this much. Here’s to hoping BH really knows what he’s doing, because any depth is disappearing quickly. I see 2022 being worse than 2021, but I’m just going from what I’ve seen transpire thus far. I really don’t think the Feb signing day is going to help us any. The main difference to me is, Bama and Ga can afford to lose “highly touted” players, but we can’t. SC looks to be way ahead of us now and thats not even worrying about the teams in our division. Don’t get all defensive over this post, as it’s just an opinion from the outside with no inside knowledge, but this team outside of the starters we had come back on D, looks worse than last year. Here’s to hoping that our O line returnees have the best year of their careers. 

You aren't totally off base. We have lost some depth of bodies although there's an amount of this that is due to the whole extra Covid year. We had guys come back that in the past just flat out would have been unable to so that's part of the scholarship issues. It does seem like at present that after this next year we'll have a group of guys finally be out of eligibility that will mean we need to replenish a lot with the '23 class. 

We are top heavy at the moment but not in as bad of shape as it would seem. Bottom line is Harsin needs some wins to make everyone feel better. Recruiting trail, in game, etc. Any or all wins will be taken right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Humorous but not surprising to see the guy who spent years talking about how it was no big deal when blue chip recruits transferred out from under Gus because they weren't actually very good...

...now saying that it's a big deal when blue chip recruits transfer out from under Harsin without having any idea if they're any good. 

I almost wrote the very exact post. Many times I've read transfers are expected and no problem at all in the past

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

You do have room versus the 85 as the signers don't count against the 85 until they enroll. Max your annual number if they choose and max your portal replacements as well. Then  adjust roster prior to enrollment to meet 85 total. It is a fluid situation.  Too much chasing a squirrel around a tree trunk between Mikey and yourself.

My guy...when do you think all of these people are going to enroll??  At the exact same time.

We can't just magically adjust enrollment.  It's simple math. If 0 people leave our program from now until August, we can't sign our full allotment for the 22 class.  That is 100% fact.  People have to continue to transfer out.  We need 2 or 3 more to leave.

• Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

You aren't totally off base. We have lost some depth of bodies although there's an amount of this that is due to the whole extra Covid year. We had guys come back that in the past just flat out would have been unable to so that's part of the scholarship issues. It does seem like at present that after this next year we'll have a group of guys finally be out of eligibility that will mean we need to replenish a lot with the '23 class. 

We are top heavy at the moment but not in as bad of shape as it would seem. Bottom line is Harsin needs some wins to make everyone feel better. Recruiting trail, in game, etc. Any or all wins will be taken right now. 

I think you're kinda right & your last point is a bit of a concern.  By having so many Super Srs guys come back, we're really top heavy.  When we graduate guys, we're going to have a massive gap of underclassmen and especially the '21 class which as to be down to near single digits.

6 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

There is a summer semester.  Magic

It doesn't work that way.  We aren't magically adjusting our scholarship numbers by semester.

-We have X players on scholarship, going through the spring. 
-We have Y players that will join in the summer from HS. 
-Then we have Z slots left to fill  Feb HS signees & post Spring Portal Transfers

X+Y+Z is currently over 85.  It's at 87 or 88 right now.

The only way to get to 85 is either kids leave our program (X is reduced) or we don't take our entire spots of the 22 class (Z is reduced).

I'm not sure why Mikey and wow you can't understand this.  It's basic math.  This has nothing to do with timing.

Edited by W.E.D

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I think you're kinda right & your last point is a bit of a concern.  By having so many Super Srs guys come back, we're really top heavy.  When we graduate guys, we're going to have a massive gap of underclassmen and especially the '21 class which as to be down to near single digits.

I think in the new world of CFB though, a lot of that is going to get replenished with transfers. I know in the old world everyone said "You should have as few transfers/JUCO guys as possible" Because the thought was that it turned your roster over too fast but I think there's going to be more of a "year to year" roster architecting going forward. So even though we may be light I think it can be replenished with transfers. 

Again, Harsin needs wins to level this out a bit. Recruiting wins, on field wins, coaching staff wins, etc. 

7 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I think in the new world of CFB though, a lot of that is going to get replenished with transfers.

I don't disagree, but we've been damn terrible at it so far.  We've struck out 2 years in a row on the OL.

8 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Again, Harsin needs wins to level this out a bit. Recruiting wins, on field wins, coaching staff wins, etc. 

This would definitely help.  So I agree.

85 is a snapshot of actual enrollment. A time stamp based on enrollment.  Failures/portal/non renews between now and next semester are not a fixed number.  You operate on mathematical assumptions.

11 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

85 is a snapshot of actual enrollment. A time stamp based on enrollment.  Failures/portal/non renews between now and next semester are not a fixed number.  You operate on mathematical assumptions.

No s***, which I've explained countlessly.  Literally.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We don't have room to keep everyone on scholarship and add the remaining positions for the 22 class.

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The only way to get to 85 is either kids leave our program (X is reduced) or we don't take our entire spots of the 22 class (Z is reduced).

------------------

You operate on mathematical assumptions.

It's not assumptions.  It's a basic equation to get to the right side of it....85.

Edited by W.E.D

Your x is a value based on projected enrollment minus known and unknown departures plus y is current enrollments equals z 85. No one but the athletic department knows. Carry on my wayward son

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's wrong, and what's more you know it's wrong. Enough have already left to have ample openings to fill all of our annual slots. You started off saying we had 80 on scholarship, which I question but even if we accept that, five have left since you started that. 75 plus 10 new signees=85. More will leave after spring practice, if not before. We will be lucky to have 80 on scholarship come August. On the bright side, there will be plenty of "courtesy" scholarships available for  deserving walkons.

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So he was, but he was listed as a 4* enough places to have had a thread calling him a 4* on this site.

1 hour ago, Ausburn2 said:

Your x is a value based on projected enrollment minus known and unknown departures plus y is current enrollments equals z 85. No one but the athletic department knows. Carry on my wayward son

Do you not understand how a projection works?  Yes, we don't know everything.  You are exactly right.  What we do know is how many we have on scholarship (~78) and how many kids we want to still bring in (~9).  78 + 9 != 85.

Either kids need to leave or we can't sign 9 more HS/Transfers leaving us below the 32 spots in the 22 class.

We will push more kids out to make room and sign our full 32 spots for this class.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's wrong, and what's more you know it's wrong. Enough have already left to have ample openings to fill all of our annual slots. You started off saying we had 80 on scholarship, which I question but even if we accept that, five have left since you started that. 75 plus 10 new signees=85. More will leave after spring practice, if not before. We will be lucky to have 80 on scholarship come August. On the bright side, there will be plenty of "courtesy" scholarships available for  deserving walkons.

So he was, but he was listed as a 4* enough places to have had a thread calling him a 4* on this site.

Right, people will leave.  You've proved my point from the time you started this dumbass argument.  We were at 80 (no that didn't include kids that just graduated or walkons).  To be under a projected 85 we need kids to leave.  Kids are leaving, which I said had to happen.

Thank you and god speed

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

(~78) and how many kids we want to still bring in (~9). 

80 minus 5 =78? Please tell me you never attended Auburn University.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

80 minus 5 =78? Please tell me you never attended Auburn University.

You keep proving my point. Players are leaving, which is what was needed to add our entire allotment for '22.

Thanks 

• Haha 1

Not in a pissing contest with you WED.  Projections are dependent upon the projector and their sources. It would help to preface to say these are your projections.  Not as if you are the definitive source.  Time will show if they are correct.  That is the basis of the discussion between Mikey/Wed. A stretch to say a discussion.  PM if any further comments it will clear the pages. Thanks

Not in a pissing contest with you WED.  Projections are dependent upon the projector and their sources. It would help to preface to say these are your projections.  Not as if you are the definitive source.  Time will show if they are correct.  That is the basis of the discussion between Mikey/Wed. A stretch to say a discussion.  PM if any further comments it will clear the pages. Thanks

We won’t go over (don’t think they allow that). If we have any left not filled we will hand them out to Walk ons as we have in the past. Seems simple for us fans.

• Like 1