Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My old coach used to say if a coach isn't coaching you hard (yelling or whatever), then u should be worried as he might have given up on you. Alot of times to take coaching,  you have to listen to WHATS being said,  no necessarily HOW it's being said. But I'm old school so this may not apply today.

I'm getting further away from having firsthand knowledge myself, but I think it 100% still applies.

But I think what @cole256 is saying is that it likely has nothing to do with hard coaching and everything to do with what you touched on, which is knowing that coach hasn't given up on you, or that he ever cared about you in the first place. 

In other words, if I had to venture a guess, it's *what* Harsin has been saying that has been the problem with so many former players and coaches more than *how* he's said it. 

I'll bring up Rodney Garner again. By all accounts that guy was an extremely hard coach. But he was also the coach who called his players up at night to check on them, and knew their families, and filled in when there wasn't a dad in the picture. No, he wasn't a head coach, but he was as important a leader in that locker room as anyone not named Gus. 

Blah blah blah. I don't think these players are scared to be coached hard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm getting further away from having firsthand knowledge myself, but I think it 100% still applies.

But I think what @cole256 is saying is that it likely has nothing to do with hard coaching and everything to do with what you touched on, which is knowing that coach hasn't given up on you, or that he ever cared about you in the first place. 

In other words, if I had to venture a guess, it's *what* Harsin has been saying that has been the problem with so many former players and coaches more than *how* he's said it. 

I'll bring up Rodney Garner again. By all accounts that guy was an extremely hard coach. But he was also the coach who called his players up at night to check on them, and knew their families, and filled in when there wasn't a dad in the picture. No, he wasn't a head coach, but he was as important a leader in that locker room as anyone not named Gus. 

I think what we are seeing is polar opposites with Malzahn vs Harsin culture and approach. Time will judge which way is most effective. If Harsin starts winning alot if these issues will disappear. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think what we are seeing is polar opposites with Malzahn vs Harsin culture and approach. Time will judge which way is most effective. If Harsin starts winning alot if these issues will disappear. 

I think we can all agree that there's truth in all of those statements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes. Like I said you can look at coach k and our own coach Pearl. They yell and stuff and they are known as player coaches. The players are just mad at being yelled at is just a speculation that a bunch of fans are making up. Kids start getting yelled at an earlier age now than even back then. 

You know how it is as you get older everybody younger than you are soft and all of that. Reality nobody cares about yelling. You can actually look at a few cases where coaches were caught saying racial stuff that even before they were caught they had been doing and saying stuff long before so, that's because how players actually put up with a bunch of stuff they really shouldn't have to.

Years ago I always posted on here only way a coach loses a team is if he doesn't play the best players and if they feel like he doesn't care about them at all. Because if he doesn't care all the stuff they preach is a lie, and who follows that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Wooden is staying according to Dukes

Sweet. Dude on On3 said earlier that he heard Harsin was moving quickly to fix that situation and thought he was reconsidering, so glad to hear someone like Dukes confirm 

• Like 1

Thrilled that Wooden is staying, but I look forward to a time when good news for our football team is landing a stud recruit instead of a player changing his mind about transferring out. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thrilled that Wooden is staying, but I look forward to a time when good news for our football team is landing a stud recruit instead of a player changing his mind about transferring out. 

Trovon put out his "we ain't done yet" tweet this morning. No clue if it was about Wooden or if we got good news from a transfer or recruit 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

It's not a "win" if he was never leaving. Does anyone know for sure?

Reports said he missed some team activities the last few days, so I think he was considering it for sure.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Reports said he missed some team activities the last few days, so I think he was considering it for sure.

I think you might be right. Or not. That's my point, I don't mean to be an a$$, but I'm older, and people I grew up with needed to be certain of whatever they stated as fact. It's a different world now, I know. Maybe not better, but whatever. 

11 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

?

Joko and J. Johnson maybe? There's been rumors that they're back in the fold, or at least strongly considering 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My old coach used to say if a coach isn't coaching you hard (yelling or whatever), then u should be worried as he might have given up on you. Alot of times to take coaching,  you have to listen to WHATS being said,  no necessarily HOW it's being said. All this is blown up and magnified cause of social media.. Its been going on for generations.  But now people can blast their displeasure for the whole world to see. 

Exactly!  It’s about context. 

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Joko and J. Johnson maybe? There's been rumors that they're back in the fold, or at least strongly considering 

It was said that J. Johnson was late to put his name in and that would limit as to where he could transfer and play next fall. 

3 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

It's not a "win" if he was never leaving. Does anyone know for sure?

In this day and age you have to rerecruit your own

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Years ago I always posted on here only way a coach loses a team is if he doesn't play the best players and if they feel like he doesn't care about them at all.

I agree for the most part. And what is fair? Is it treating everyone the same or treating people the way they need to be treated? Do you play the best guy even if he doesn't give you the best effort in practice? 'Cause you know he will produce in the clutch and the great practice guy is going to be limited?  It's an extremely fine line. I doubt Bo Jackson had the best practice ethic from what I've read and heard. But, seriously you gonna sit him? It's pretty complex and I'm guessing the best coaches understand the nuances in that area.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I agree for the most part. And what is fair? Is it treating everyone the same or treating people the way they need to be treated? Do you play the best guy even if he doesn't give you the best effort in practice? 'Cause you know he will produce in the clutch and the great practice guy is going to be limited?  It's an extremely fine line. I doubt Bo Jackson had the best practice ethic from what I've read and heard. But, seriously you gonna sit him? It's pretty complex and I'm guessing the best coaches understand the nuances in that area.

Winning cures all ills... Win and all this goes away.. Book it.

• Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Not sure if it's universal but in soccer, at least, it's called man management. 

It's been said that Belichick coached Brady extra hard because he could take it and it showed the other guys that nobody's above the team, but showed them that without attacking them directly and shaking their confidence. Have heard similar stories about coaches walking up to a player at his locker and dressing him down for a mistake he made, but the mistake was actually a minor example of the much bigger mistake that the guy in the locker right next to theirs made. But the coach couldn't say it directly to the player who made the most egregious mistake because he was a phenomenal player who couldn't handle the direct criticism.

And these aren't "soft youth of today" stories. Just examples of coaches being smart and understanding other humans. Doesn't mean they cater or coddle. Just means they want to win.  

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I remember a couple of guys I played with in HS back in the Stone Age. One was an all world practice player but just a so so game player another was the opposite. It wasn't that the really good player was lazy at practice it was that in his head he realized it was not a game and couldn't get that Laser Focus that he got once the game started.  It is one of the toughest parts of coaching to see the guy who is a gamer versus a practice warrior. There were also some guys who played like they practiced. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I remember a couple of guys I played with in HS back in the Stone Age. One was an all world practice player but just a so so game player another was the opposite. It wasn't that the really good player was lazy at practice it was that in his head he realized it was not a game and couldn't get that Laser Focus that he got once the game started.  It is one of the toughest parts of coaching to see the guy who is a gamer versus a practice warrior. There were also some guys who played like they practiced. 

I think this is where Harsin could use some tact instead of being a hard nosed when it comes to certain types of personalities.  However the stuff about not being late to meetings and following the rules I hope he stays stubborn on because those are more life skills than football skills.