Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Davis coaches Russell Wilson...

Dee Davis is just about a Russell Wilson clone

Honest question, for those like you that may know. 

Davis became Seattle QB coach in 2019, Russell's 8th season. What exactly does he do as a coach for an experienced, star QB?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Strongly disagree. 

No it's not the "Homerun" to most people, but Dell could be huge. He is a bon-a-fied Ace recruiter. People talk about Jimmys and Joes and how great players can make any OC look good....Enough said. Plus, he could come in and collaborate with either of our former OC/Playcallers on staff already. I would stoked if we hired Dell. Let him come bring in some legit talent for a few years. Plus, every single OC out there never called a play until they did. 

A good playcaller is like an artist...or an award winning design architect.  You can't just bring in your ace craftsman or engineer and say, "hey, design the next guggenheim, except better."

Just now, AUDevil said:

A good playcaller is like an artist...or an award winning design architect.  You can't just bring in your ace craftsman or engineer and say, "hey, design the next guggenheim, except better."

No one is saying that, but if you have someone with the ability to pull elite talent, you can mask some deficiencies there until they grow and learn as a playcaller. 

Look at Gus Malzahn. When he had elite talent at QB and OL in 2010 and 2013 his offense was a piece of art to watch. That's all I am saying. Harsin or Keisau can't be CO-OC and between the two could work great. 

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Strongly disagree. 

No it's not the "Homerun" to most people, but Dell could be huge. He is a bon-a-fied Ace recruiter. People talk about Jimmys and Joes and how great players can make any OC look good....Enough said. Plus, he could come in and collaborate with either of our former OC/Playcallers on staff already. I would stoked if we hired Dell. Let him come bring in some legit talent for a few years. Plus, every single OC out there never called a play until they did. 

If you want to hire marginal coaches and hope they can recruit and just let your talent win games then I guarantee you want win championships because I don't care how much talent comes to Auburn, we will not out talent Bama, Georgia or LSU, that's when the team will need coaches that can out game plan, outscheme and outplaycall our opposition.

Edited by Carnell
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Look at Gus Malzahn. When he had elite talent at QB and OL in 2010 and 2013 his offense was a piece of art to watch.

All 6 plays!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Carnell said:

If you want to hire marginal coaches and hope they can recruit and just let your talent win games then I guarantee you want win championships because I don't care how much talent comes to Auburn, we will not out talent Bama, Georgia or LSU, that's when the team will need coaches that can outcome plan, outscheme and outplaycall our opposition.

Neither of us know how good of an OC Dell McGee so to call him a marginal coach is disingenuous.

Look, Dell is not my first choice by a long shot, but to act like it would be some terrible hire is crazy. Hell Arky hired a lifetime position coach as their HC and seems to have been a terrific hire thus far. I know that is probably the exception not the rule, but we could do ALOT worse than Dell McGee. We could get some smuck who is only decent playcaller and horrible recruiter. We could also do better and get someone like Jeff Grimes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No one is saying that, but if you have someone with the ability to pull elite talent, you can mask some deficiencies there until they grow and learn as a playcaller. 

But does McGee pull elite talent because he is a great recruiter or because he is at Georgia? Georgia's recruiting methods are likely far more aggressive than ours and without that same flexibility, McGee may not be the same ace recruiter here.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

But does McGee pull elite talent because he is a great recruiter or because he is at Georgia? Georgia's recruiting methods are likely far more aggressive than ours and without that same flexibility, McGee may not be the same ace recruiter here.  

That is a legit question that I obviously can't answer. I think he could do just fine here.

Guys, there have been numerous posts by insiders that clearly say UGA is breaking NCAA recruiting rules, big time.  When thinking about a UGA coach’s ability to recruit, perhaps it would be wise to remember what has been said.  I’m not addressing my comments about any individual coach…just the overall situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Guys, there have been numerous posts by insiders that clearly say UGA is breaking NCAA recruiting rules, big time.  When thinking about a UGA coach’s ability to recruit, perhaps it would be wise to remember what has been said.  I’m not addressing my comments about any individual coach…just the overall situation. 

Maybe we need to be breaking a little rules on our own then. I imagine UGA isn’t the only one 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe we need to be breaking a little rules on our own then. I imagine UGA isn’t the only one 

There is no doubt that we do but I think there is probably a level of cheating we feel safe getting away with that is likely no where close as to what other teams are allowed to get away with. And I do think those teams are legitimately protected for various reasons.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Rivals just posted that Dell is not an option at this point. 

Thank goodness. I love Dell as a recruiter, but I don't wanna take that risk as a play caller. 

I thought Georgia Southern should've hired him when he was interim, but not for his play calling potential. 

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Davis became Seattle QB coach in 2019, Russell's 8th season. What exactly does he do as a coach for an experienced, star QB?

He doesn’t do anything for him. The Seahawks haven’t even looked that good this year 

57 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Kirby is just taking what he learned from bammer and applying it at thUGA. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

NIL exists. Why worry about NCAA anymore? Just funnel money legally now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Austin Davis if you can would be a top priority 

I'll put in a good word

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest MustardSeed

What a clown show 🤣. A week and a half in and we are back at square one with one week til early signing day. What a disaster of an OC hire already. Now it may not be Harsin’s fault about Hill, but a #2 guy behind Hill should have already been in place once it was in question whether he’d be cleared.  And of the list I’ve seen recently, Grimes should be the only one on that list that isn’t considered a major fallback plan. To expect any of those other guys to better than Bobo who probably wouldn’t have gotten fired of Nix didn’t get hurt is a big stretch IMO. Bobo has recruited many 5 stars and actually had Bo Nix playing by far the best he ever had. You don’t Fire that guy for a major fallback option. That’s a disaster no matter how you slice it. Literally the 2nd least risky option on that list from App St 😂. Good grief what has happened here. My optimism for Harsin has absolutely tanked with this debacle. 

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

What a clown show 🤣. A week and a half in and we are back at square one with one week til early signing day. What a disaster of an OC hire already. Now it may not be Harsin’s fault about Hill, but a #2 guy behind Hill should have already been in place once it was in question whether he’d be cleared.  And of the list I’ve seen recently, Grimes should be the only one on that list that isn’t considered a major fallback plan. To expect any of those other guys to better than Bobo who probably wouldn’t have gotten fired of Nix didn’t get hurt is a big stretch IMO. Bobo has recruited many 5 stars and actually had Bo Nix playing by far the best he ever had. You don’t Fire that guy for a major fallback option. That’s a disaster no matter how you slice it. Literally the 2nd least risky option on that list from App St 😂. Good grief what has happened here. My optimism for Harsin has absolutely tanked with this debacle. 

I can’t tell if you’re making fun of the chicken little types or if you actually are one of the chicken littles…

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

As is a good forum poster.    ^this post is artistic genius my friend!

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Bobo wasn’t recruiting worth a damn. Nothing about his play calling is worth a damn. 

✌ Out 

Edited by Taco

On 12/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, au302 said:

Some need to take a break for sure. I understand not wanting a certain candidate, but goodness this is pathetic 

Best advice and I've read in last few days. Thanks for reminding I need to take a break reading. Break time for me. Had confidence Coach Harson would have a plan with several candidates. Doesn't appear so. I cant take the speculators and the nay sayers. I hope he finds so.eo e who will be willing to take this job with this diappointing fanbase. We just need a direction and plan. Praying we find answers and can have a recruiting class and OC for next year. Right now it's a mess.

4 minutes ago, Taco said:

Bobo wasn’t recruiting worth a damn. Nothing about his play calling is worth a damn. 

✌ Out 

I don't necessarily think @MustardSeedwas saying Bobo was wonderful. An old supervisor of mind gave me some sage advice in my early management years... Don't complain about someone if you haven't seen their replacement yet. I think that's where he was with his post, there should have been a very short list ready to work from that you know will take the job. Just my take.