Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I refuse to believe Dilly is part of the master plan. No. Nope. Nada. Harsin will get absolutely skewered for it if so. 

Dilly being announced as OC after everything that has happened in the last 3 years sounds like a Seinfeld episode. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Dilly being announced as OC after everything that has happened in the last 3 years sounds like a Seinfeld episode. 

Less entertaining.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Okay so if you read that article, the author is referencing Al.com. Fake news. And if you read the Al.com article , the author says that one source said he “may” be the leading candidate. This is how crazy rumors get started. From one person to another to another.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

so I posted this earlier:

the Utah OC   is still a viable option, right?  Oh dear, please hire this guy. 

I heard Harsin played for this guy back in the day.   This establishes a past relationship.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Dilly is a Gus disciple. No way he is on Harsin's list.  Besides, why would Dilly leave his mentor at FSU to make a lateral move?

He worked with Gus for one year, didn't call plays at all, left literally as quickly as he could, and, as you said, Norvell is his mentor. 

Now, Norvell's offense might be just as different from Harsin's as Gus's is, but I don't think we need to discuss Gus when we discuss Dillingham. 

And I'm not sure we'd even need to be too worried about Norvell. Dillingham's only been in coaching for 5 or 6 years. He's only 31 years old. Have to imagine he's still pretty malleable and he's definitely an ace recruiter who is very connected in the southeast. 

If he's comfortable with Kiesau having an expanded role in the coordination of the offense, then I kinda like it. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, gravejd said:

1. He is currently working under his mentor Norvell at FSU

2. It would be a lateral move to go from FSU OC to AU OC. 

3. Why the hell would Harsin be going after him in the first place 

1. It's not going very well. Also, many assistants feel a professional need to get out from under their mentors' wings.

2. Jimbo made a "lateral" move to TAMU just a few years off a national title at FSU. There are issues in Tallahassee and they don't have elite resources on par with the big boys. On par with Auburn? I dunno. 

3. Why wouldn't he? I'm not sure I've seen anyone specifically critique Dilly's coaching acumen yet. 

• Like 1

Let's put it another way. If any of you talked yourselves into believing that Hill would have been a good hire, then you really shouldn't have a problem with Dillingham. He's almost guaranteed to be a far better recruiter, for starters. 

• Like 5

Just now, McLoofus said:

Let's put it another way. If any of you talked yourselves into believing that Hill would have been a good hire, then you really shouldn't have a problem with Dillingham. He's almost guaranteed to be a far better recruiter, for starters. 

Maybe one or two posters thought hill was a quality hire. I imagine the same could be said for Dilly.

• Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed

Funniest thing happening today?  62 pages and no one still knows anything 😂. At least it’s been some entertainment if nothing else I suppose. 

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oddly and kind of sadly this is accurate. Might actually prefer Dilly to Hill as Hill has never recruited well anywhere per 247.  On the plus side, it’s the one OC Gus couldn’t hang on to and Gus’ offense was better when he was here than the year prior or after so it may not be a complete disaster. However they are ranked like 72nd in PPG this year I believe. Not many ways to sugar coat that one

I never understood why people disliked Dilly so much. The 2019 year we had a filthy and brutal schedule, finished 3rd in the west, beat Bama and were extremely competitive against everyone save maybe the Florida game and a little offensively anemic against Clemson but Clemson was legit. I personally wouldn't hate the hire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe one or two posters thought hill was a quality hire. I imagine the same could be said for Dilly.

I thought Hill would be good simply because he would run Harsins O.

I would really like to see his offense, not some hybrid thing we saw last season. Though that may have been a necessity because Harsin didn’t have the personnel to run his O.

I don’t want a Norvell/Gus/Dilly offense. 
Harsin runs plays from the shotgun/pistol, that’s about as close as his offense gets to what Norvell/Dilly runs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I agree. And I get why folks feel like it's a weird choice. But I'd love for folks to really think about it and specifically elaborate on why it wouldn't work.

So far about the only thing I've heard is that he's a Norvell guy. Thing is, the only thing that seems consistent about Norvell's offensive philosophy is that it's whatever he needs it to be based on personnel. So I'm not sure why that would be problematic. 

By the way, this is what FSU's current recruiting class looks like. Three 4* OLs, two 3* OLs, one transfer 3* OL, one 4* QB, one 4* WR, two 3* ATHs, and one 3* TE. 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

If Dillingham is brought in, it's to recruit. Frankly, that's not a bad notion if we can't land some major improvement. 

If we can't improve our talent base, it won't matter what offense we run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I thought Hill would be good simply because he would run Harsins O.

I would really like to see his offense, not some hybrid thing we saw last season. Though that may have been a necessity because Harsin didn’t have the personnel to run his O.

I don’t want a Norvell/Gus/Dilly offense. 
Harsin runs plays from the shotgun/pistol, that’s about as close as his offense gets to what Norvell/Dilly runs

Maybe and that is one of the few and only positives to hill. But this is what we do. Hill was the least on the totem pole and since we don’t want nor will get him, we pretty much will rationalize anyone who may seem moderate better. It is as the same thing when we truly thought CKS would be our HC. When that happen the narrative shift to anyone but him when in reality , there never should’ve been any type of movement of sorts. 

19 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I never understood why people disliked Dilly so much. The 2019 year we had a filthy and brutal schedule, finished 3rd in the west, beat Bama and were extremely competitive against everyone save maybe the Florida game and a little offensively anemic against Clemson but Clemson was legit. I personally wouldn't hate the hire.

I'm wondering if I'm losing my mind here because people seem to forget that Dillingham didn't run that offense and they seem to think that he's a "Gus disciple" after not running a Gus offense for the one year he was here.

The kid was brought here to recruit and coach the QBs. I mean, Gus stated very publicly that he was running the offense and it was universally known and accepted. Did folks already forget this or somehow never know it?

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 5

I need to setup a webpage and put that Lou Holtz is the leading candidate and watch the meltdown on here. Guys on here have a heart attack over every unfounded rumor. What's worse is all the ones melting down have no clue whatsoever who would be a good OC for AU. It's comedy gold 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder what the reaction to Dilly would be if he had never coached under Gus. It feels like a retread, so it is not exciting. I get that. But that doesn't mean he is a horrible choice. 

The board seemed unanimously excited about Austin Davis, whose entire coaching resume is a couple years of "coaching" Russell Wilson. That seemed odd to me. 

• Like 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

I agree. And I get why folks feel like it's a weird choice. But I'd love for folks to really think about it and specifically elaborate on why it wouldn't work.

So far about the only thing I've heard is that he's a Norvell guy. Thing is, the only thing that seems consistent about Norvell's offensive philosophy is that it's whatever he needs it to be based on personnel. So I'm not sure why that would be problematic. 

By the way, this is what FSU's current recruiting class looks like. Three 4* OLs, two 3* OLs, one transfer 3* OL, one 4* QB, one 4* WR, two 3* ATHs, and one 3* TE. 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

Quite frankly I am not looking for a debate about dilly. If you are for it cool. There are several other guys mentioned why I think it would be better. I think grimes is better from a schematic standpoint. I think unicorn McGee would be better from a recruiting standpoint. If none of those guys say yes and Dilly is your last option . Sure take him. That is where I stand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

If Dillingham is brought in, it's to recruit. Frankly, that's not a bad notion if we can't land some major improvement. 

If we can't improve our talent base, it won't matter what offense we run. 

This is true. We can always fire him if we deem necessary. Lord knows we already have more dead money going out than most NFL teams. WDE

Have you struggled with and/or lost to Jacksonville State in the game of football?  If so you may be entitled to financial compensation from Auburn University.  Ask your agent about potential offensive coordinator job at Auburn University today.