Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. And I get why folks feel like it's a weird choice. But I'd love for folks to really think about it and specifically elaborate on why it wouldn't work.

So far about the only thing I've heard is that he's a Norvell guy. Thing is, the only thing that seems consistent about Norvell's offensive philosophy is that it's whatever he needs it to be based on personnel. So I'm not sure why that would be problematic. 

By the way, this is what FSU's current recruiting class looks like. Three 4* OLs, two 3* OLs, one transfer 3* OL, one 4* QB, one 4* WR, two 3* ATHs, and one 3* TE. 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

Ok, I am kinda coming around....looking at the recruiting.

His limited experience is a concern - I am unsure how much experience he has calling any plays or designing an offense.  I suspect he would be a co-OC.

• Like 1

FSU apparently has unlimited slots. They seem to be leading for everyone. I don't want Dilly. Harsin is supposedly thinking about calling plays himself, which I'm in favor of considering his 2016 success. I can maybe get on board with Dilly for a mercenary one year type of thing as QB coach if it gets us some recruits. Harsin and Kiesau run the O. Harsin works hands on with QB's, and tell Dilly to recruit. That said, I'd be shocked if he's the guy

• Like 2

I believe we have enough knowledge on our offensive staff to overcome his "perceived" deficiencies.  We could always hire a guy with 20 years experience who is perceived as an ace recruiter.   Wait we just fired that guy.  If its Dillingham I'll support the heck out of it and hope he can light a fire under our recruiting efforts.   

• Love 1

I’m not against Dilly, I would just like to see Harsin be able to fully implement his offense to the fullest extent that is possible. 
His offense would be very effective with the right personnel. 
The personnel he needs may take a couple of recruiting/portal cycles to do what he wants to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

His limited experience is a concern - I am unsure how much experience he has calling any plays or designing an offense.  I suspect he would be a co-OC.

That's a 2nd defensible concern. But I agree, my assumption is that if he comes in it's not as the actual lead play-calling guru. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome Dillingham back, but if that's your option you're better off promoting Kiesau and finding another position coach. 

• Like 3

Living in Tallahassee, I've felt the need to watch FSU and try to figure out Nole love for Norvell & staff. After watching virtually every game Dillingham's OC'd for FSU, I'm scratching my head why ANY major program would give him a serious look. IMO, FSU even has the same disproportional offensive talent by position that we have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcUmen said:

Sorry, but I am almost certain the Dilly business is just al dot com trolling Auburn during recruiting season.  Dilly and Harsin's offenses are nothing alike.  Dilly is a Gus disciple. No way he is on Harsin's list.  Besides, why would Dilly leave his mentor at FSU to make a lateral move?

Dilly and Harsin's offenses share a lot in common.  What we saw the past year was Bobo's offense with some Harsin thrown in.

1 hour ago, AU North said:

With regard to the vetting of Hill by AU's compliance department, when was the last time UA's athletic department vetted any coach that Sabin wanted?  WDE

Pointing out the obvious that some are winners and some are losers. We play the goody card and are in the latter.

I'm shocked ppl can tie the direct correlation to Luper and Trooper and the direct success it brought us I'm 2010 and '13.

But here we are demanding an Auburn Man

Edited by W.E.D

Stop this nonsense.  I love DC, but he it not the reason Aggie is tearing up recruiting.  He has proven not to be a great coach.  And Auburn is not going to be great (key on great - not good) until we master the new world of the NIL.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Dilly and Harsin's offenses share a lot in common.  What we saw the past year was Bobo's offense with some Harsin thrown in.

Dilly/Norvell offense is closer to Gus/Morris than Harsins

But I guess every offense has things in common 

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Ok, I am kinda coming around....looking at the recruiting.

Why would he leave for a co-OC?

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I never understood why people disliked Dilly so much. The 2019 year we had a filthy and brutal schedule, finished 3rd in the west, beat Bama and were extremely competitive against everyone save maybe the Florida game and a little offensively anemic against Clemson but Clemson was legit. I personally wouldn't hate the hire.

Do you really think he had anything to do with that? 

2 hours ago, AU North said:

With regard to the vetting of Hill by AU's compliance department, when was the last time UA's athletic department vetted any coach that Sabin wanted?  WDE

ASU is under NCAA investigation for recruiting violations…..when has Saban inquired about hiring a coach from a program under investigation?  

That’s why AU compliance got heavily involved, and obviously were not comfortable with Hill after some review. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Is it Dilly’s offense or Norvell’s? Do we really know what a Dilly O is?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Is it Dilly’s offense or Norvell’s? Do we really know what a Dilly O is?

No, but it sounds like it comes from Dairy Queen 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Living in Tallahassee, I've felt the need to watch FSU and try to figure out Nole love for Norvell & staff. After watching virtually every game Dillingham's OC'd for FSU, I'm scratching my head why ANY major program would give him a serious look. IMO, FSU even has the same disproportional offensive talent by position that we have. 

Dillingham isn't the sole play-caller at FSU. It is very openly a "collaborative effort", which typically implies that Norvell is calling most of the plays.

Dillingham would seemingly make some sense if Harsin indeed wants to call plays himself. Dillingham is a good recruiter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Why would he leave for a co-OC?

I'm guessing he wouldn't actually carry that co-OC title. Also, he currently makes $625k. Bobo made $1.3 million. We might offer him somewhere in the middle. 

Not saying this would happen or be wise but these are possibilities. 

19 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

ASU is under NCAA investigation for recruiting violations…..when has Saban inquired about hiring a coach from a program under investigation?  

That’s why AU compliance got heavily involved, and obviously were not comfortable with Hill after some review. 

What has Saban inquiries to do with our search?