Bobo out as OC

Tony4AU

1 hour ago, selias said:

It's. Viper.

Are you seriously asking for a rational and reasoned response?

Somehow he escaped my block list from a long time ago.

So, I thought it was a new day and I'd give it go.200w-2.gif.860fe759581f2d3c67d31a974ffdeafa.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Surprised the Friend news has not dropped yet? Any chance he could be returning? 

Having to fire 3 of the 5 offensive hires in the first year is pretty bad. 

I don't look at it as pretty bad.

So in the end you have 3 changes:

1 who didn't coach his players up and got better results after he left

1 who didn't pan out with results that Harsin expected in melding their offenses together. especially in the last 5 games.

1 who was asked to be brought in by the above OC, who is gone.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I don't look at it as pretty bad.

So in the end you have 3 changes:

1 who didn't coach his players up and got better results after he left

1 who didn't pan out with results that Harsin expected in melding their offenses together. especially in the last 5 games.

1 who was asked to be brought in by the above OC, who is gone.

This is exactly why schools are now firing head coaches mid-season. Look at the crazy coaching carousel right now. If you can have your search going early, you can pull the trigger immediately after the prospect's last game. You can even lose your top prospect to USCw and make a splash hire 24 hours later. Your prospect already has short lists for every assistant, because he has to be ready if someone is hired away. You have the ability to give input to your prospects of what kind of staff you expect.

Harsin had none of this luxury. Gus was fired a week mid-December due to the COVID delays, three days before the early signing period started. The coaching search and hiring process was a near-disaster, the search did not start until 3 days after Gus was fired. We had a name or two, but fumbled badly. It appears we may have "interviewed" some with no intention of hiring them, instead just to make the fans believe we were serious, and apparently Harsin reached out to Greene when he saw the opening. By the time he got here, he was left with his old assistants from Boise, or scraps (from fired coaching staffs at South Carolina, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt). Then the curve ball that the fired USCe DL coach, Tracy Rocker, decides to go to the NFL. Add Harsin's OC was in the running to replace him back at Boise.

But you had to get a staff in place ASAP because of signing.

So Harsin did what he could. Right now, I would say Nick Eason is the diamond in the rough Harsin found. Cornelius Williams, out of a HUNH Air Raid spread offense in the Group of 5 was not the right fit. Bobo did not work out for whatever reason. Last year was not a normal offseason.

So what does a leader do in such a situation? You have to accelerate your hiring process, and plan for the possibility of making bad hires. If those bad hires materialize, you cut them quickly and move on.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Viper said:

The only coach on this staff with clout is Caddy. Harsin was at least smart enough to understand that by retaining him.

We may have been a top 15 program, but with the way our 2nd Halves have collapsed, our 4-game losing streak and the way recruiting has gone, Harsin is quickly putting this program in reverse. 

He may be a helluva man, great coach to play for, A-personality and all the other feel-goods that the pumpers have made note of, but he doesn’t have the name or the clout to suddenly change that direction. Other than the DC, he can’t lure great assistants. In that regard alone, he is exactly like his predecessor, perhaps worse.

Meanwhile, LSU and FL make massive upgrades. We are getting left in the dirt in all phases, most importantly recruiting, which is the only thing that matters. Recruiting isn’t just Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Recruiting lures great assistants. With everyone around us getting stronger, which will take even more precious recruits from us, we are about to go through the roughest multi-year stretch since Barfield. Flame away.

How long do you think we will need to give him to show potential candidates that we're not too trigger happy? Optics are very important (as someone pointed out in another thread, Harbaugh, Frost and Stoops have been given a good long time--and in at least two of their cases it worked).

And do you think we're capable of getting someone good if you end up being right about the current regime? I would happily bring McGee home, but I'm not entirely sure we could even get him. Fear it would be Lashlee or worse.

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Sitting in the woods laughing, as I read this thread. 

20211130_153801.jpg

Hope you saw some good ones. Here it was a beautiful day to be in the woods, wish I could have gone

32 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Has anyone been named "interim OC" for the bowl game?

I'd have to imagine we'll have an OC in the next two weeks and in time of Bowl practices to start

• Like 1

Open up the purse strings, go out and simply get the best offensive mind available.  Money cannot be an Object.  Promoting a guy nobody, and I mean nobody, outside of those that closely follow AU or Boise football, ain’t gonna cut it.  Recruits don’t want to go play for an offensive coordinator that they have never heard of.   Flip side—it is Very Easy to recruit against a team with that situation.   We absolutely don’t have credibility in the South with Bryan Harsin on the marquis, plus the multiple turds in the 2021 punch bowl, dropped there on his watch.   I’m not saying he’s not great, and will not be legendary, heck he may outshine  Bear Bryant, but he’s not a household name in the south and that’s what we need on the recruiting trail and quite frankly, that’s who we need calling the plays. We saw a couple of mediocre-to-good games called from Bobo this year, and posters were rejoicing like it was some sort of creative lollapalooza. How many NFLers do Harsin and the former BSU OC, have combined? If you don’t think that’s one of the major recruiting points…

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hope you saw some good ones. Here it was a beautiful day to be in the woods, wish I could have gone

I was meat hunting with my youngest son, who is 38. We both saw doe, but they had yearlings, so we let them walk. He has 6 kids and they eat 5 or 6 deer a year. We get them early, and buck hunt from Christmas till February. Sorry to depart from the topic, but it has slowed down, looks like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I was meat hunting with my youngest son, who is 38. We both saw doe, but they had yearlings, so we let them walk. He has 6 kids and they eat 5 or 6 deer a year. We get them early, and buck hunt from Christmas till February. Sorry to depart from the topic, but it has slowed down, looks like.

Nice. Where are you hunting?

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

Tallapoosa County. New Site. 

Nice. I am in north AL and lease in southern TN. Occasionally hunt Jackson Co. Back in the day hunted Conecuh and Marengo Co with my mother’s family. I’m more of a sitter/watcher than killer though, lol

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nice. I am in north AL and lease in southern TN. Occasionally hunt Jackson Co. Back in the day hunted Conecuh and Marengo Co with my mother’s family. I’m more of a sitter/watcher than killer though, lol

Why you gotta go say that word? Man, my stomach just growled. 

Dangit. Now I gotta go hunt some Conecuh….

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Why you gotta go say that word? Man, my stomach just growled. 

Dangit. Now I gotta go hunt some Conecuh….

Good luck and float a loan.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

20211130_153801.jpg

Assuming you dropped that 12-point standing a foot behind the trees at the 10:47 position, right?

.... family's land was near Walnut Hill. Sold to billionaire. Miss that red dirt.

Edited by AUx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUx said:

Assuming you dropped that 12-point standing a foot behind the trees at the 10:47 position, right?

😄 Actually, this is a good place for just seeing deer. Mostly doe, come to this greenfield and feeder. We were meat hunting for my son's large family. My grandchildren love venison. They always come out on the right and make a beeline for the corn. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I am like Fredst. I am usually just a watcher. I don't like killing stuff, unless I can eat it. 

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

😄 Actually, this is a good place for just seeing deer. Mostly doe, come to this greenfield and feeder. We were meat hunting for my son's large family. My grandchildren love venison. They always come out on the right and make a beeline for the corn. 

Great locale. Never hunted deer much. But did harvest lots of wild turkey in hardwood bottoms. Fun stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUx said:

.... family's land was near Walnut Hill. Sold to billionaire. Miss that red dirt.

We lease from John Hancock. We have had the place for several years. Mostly family. 1000 acres.

32 minutes ago, fredst said:

Were in Southern TN do you lease/hunt?

4 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

We lease from John Hancock. We have had the place for several years. Mostly family. 1000 acres.

Owned a sizable area. Let this Panettiere guy adopt it - - treats it as nice as we did.

Edited by AUx

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'd have to imagine we'll have an OC in the next two weeks and in time of Bowl practices to start

We might, but I would also imagine that we're running a version of Harsin's offense for the game. No way to install a new system in 2 weeks.

Unless, of course, it's Kiesau, in which case that's just continuity.

6 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

20211130_153801.jpg

You see anything? Lord, what I'd give to not be stuck in Texas studying for law finals with a hellacious cold. Haven't been out on our property in west Alabama in a minute due to COVID/married life.

When I was at Auburn I spent most of my weekends in the fall hunting our property then watching auburn games at ole Diamond Jim's steakhouse

• Like 1