Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sorry you didn't like my descriptor for "not good".  That's not a personal attack.  I didn't say they were bad people, only their play relative to high level SEC lineman

You literally called three players by name “garbage “! It’s sad that you think you’re superior enough to call three of the toughest and most loyal Auburn players garbage from your perch way up on high.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, toddc said:

You literally called three players by name “garbage “! It’s sad that you think you’re superior enough to call three of the toughest and most loyal Auburn players garbage from your perch way up on high.

You're really making this out to be so much more than it really is.  You're absurdly conflating discussing their level of play to who they are as a person.  They can be great people and not a good football player.  

Would you rather me discuss their play and only reference them by a number?

Edited by W.E.D

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You act like we are even going to be able to take our full spots when we aren't 

That's a fair point. If we ran off all those guys, we'd have needed like 5-7 linemen from the portal. At least 3 would have had to be before spring since they'd be day 1 starters. Pulling 5 would be an extremely tall order, even if this staff was actually good at portal recruiting this cycle.

Now, that said, I'm in total agreement that we should've got two portal linemen to recruit over Brahms and Council. But as bad as I can't wait to see new faces on the line in '23, I just don't see how you theoretically replace all of them in a single cycle

5 hours ago, au302 said:

That's a fair point. If we ran off all those guys, we'd have needed like 5-7 linemen from the portal. At least 3 would have had to be before spring since they'd be day 1 starters. Pulling 5 would be an extremely tall order, even if this staff was actually good at portal recruiting this cycle.

Now, that said, I'm in total agreement that we should've got two portal linemen to recruit over Brahms and Council. But as bad as I can't wait to see new faces on the line in '23, I just don't see how you theoretically replace all of them in a single cycle

I'm nit even sure Council or Trox are even going to start this year. Brahms is looking to start bc we don't have anyone else.

All 3 couldn't even practice this spring. The idea they scared off portal talent is ridiculous.

Yes pulling 5 would be tough bc we haven't even been able to get a single OL ever. Our OL recruiting has been a disaster since like 2014. Harsin/Friend haven't fixed it

13 hours ago, au302 said:

We have 7 spots.

Not nit-picking, just keeping the information current. After getting the Miami transfer, we have six slots left. One for a transfer only, the other five could go to transfers or normal high school/JUCO players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And our sole OL prospect isn't coming here

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And our sole OL prospect isn't coming here

Dang! That's a mean lookin 30 yr old going to Cal. :angry:

• Haha 1

Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about OL. Hear me out...

We're going to stink for a while and the only way out of that stink would be if we somehow recruited five portal O-Linemen better than our current line. Unfortunately there have not been that many O-Linemen of that caliber in the portal. Plus, I'm not so convinced that starting five highly ranked true frosh on the line in 2023 wouldn't produce similar results. And of course they have to have a higher ceiling than anyone currently on roster.

45 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

We're going to stink for a while and the only way out of that stink would be if we somehow recruited five portal O-Linemen better than our current line. Unfortunately there have not been that many O-Linemen of that caliber in the portal. Plus, I'm not so convinced that starting five highly ranked true frosh on the line in 2023 wouldn't produce similar results. And of course they have to have a higher ceiling than anyone currently on roster.

I'm not asking for five, but if we recruited a couple portal OL better than what we have, then we've made a big improvement. There have been guys of that caliber in the portal. We know this because our staff wanted them. We just haven't landed them.

We will be lucky to have five highly ranked true freshman in 2023. But I agree we don't want to start a bunch of freshman on the OL. That's why last year's recruiting class hurts. 

We need to fill immediate holes AND build for the future. So far we are doing neither.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, toddc said:

Yeah, some on here hardly make a post that doesn't have a negative connotation. Always fault finding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

We didn't need 5.  We needed 2 or 3...or even some guys that weren't going to start this year and develop for the future.

Our staff has recruited and missed on a lot of OL that would start for us at guard and tackle.  That's a bad take.

I'm not sure where you think we're going to get 5 highly ranked freshman from when we can't sign more than 1 a class.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, W.E.D said:

Call bull**** on that if he can get into UF, a much better academic institution, and can also get into Oregon. 

I was listening to Auburn Live about transferring and credits. It's not that guys don't have the grades; it's about the majors. For example,, athletes are interested in majoring in sports management. Auburn doesn't have a sports management program. Therefore, each of their classes has to be looked at and approved. Even Vandy has a sports management program. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

It is not a question of getting into. He might have some credits not transfer or we might not have the degree he has been working on.

That's can exactly be the case. If you have a player that's majored in sports management at Oregon who partners with Nike with some elective classes, it's probably several credits that will not transfer over. It's no different if one of our players who majors in Forestry (not likely i know), he'd have limited options transferring to a school where most of his credits would be accepted if they don't have a Forestry program.

7 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I was listening to Auburn Live about transferring and credits. It's not that guys don't have the grades; it's about the majors. For example,, athletes are interested in majoring in sports management. Auburn doesn't have a sports management program. Therefore, each of their classes has to be looked at and approved. Even Vandy has a sports management program. 

No offense,  but this just seems so unbelievable and such a convenience for a staff that has been getting absolutely worked on the transfer portal front for ~6 months now. I've never seen this many players all at once taking these supposedly obscure majors that don't allow them to transfer to Auburn, but magically they have no problems at Florida, Cal, Oregon, etc.

This is something that you expect to affect ~one player. Not the majority of the guys that are left on your board. The practice of players transferring to Auburn isn't new, I've never seen this as a problem that has been this visible to the effect that seemingly ~50% or more of the names that popped up as "options"on their list were supposedly uncovered  to not be able to transfer here.

During their first portal period where they got Kauffman, Leota, Harris, Tony Fair, etc, etc. it certainly seemed like everyone they wanted had absolutely zero issues transferring their credits here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Hoping upon hope that Auburn can somehow miraculously pull in 5 highly ranked high-school players for the '23 season.  It would be something that hasn't happen in what 5-6 years? 

But I do believe miracles. :jossun:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

No offense,  but this just seems so unbelievable and such a convenience for a staff that has been getting absolutely worked on the transfer portal front for ~6 months now. I've never seen this many players all at once taking these supposedly obscure majors that don't allow them to transfer to Auburn, but magically they have no problems at Florida, Cal, Oregon, etc.

This is something that you expect to affect ~one player. Not the majority of the guys that are left on your board. The practice of players transferring to Auburn isn't new, I've never seen this as a problem that has been this visible to the effect that seemingly ~50% or more of the names that popped up as "options"on their list were supposedly uncovered  to not be able to transfer here.

During their first portal period where they got Kauffman, Leota, Harris, Tony Fair, etc, etc. it certainly seemed like everyone they wanted had absolutely zero issues transferring their credits here.

I'm wondering if the coaches are using it as an excuse or if it's guys that cover AU recruiting and a few fans sugar coating the portal issue? 

I can understand 1 or on an off chance 2 portal guys may not match up academically with AU.   But stuff like that should be known early in the process, so why keep a guy on your board if he's dead set on sticking with a major that's incompatible? 

On 5/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, W.E.D said:

Kids can get into UF, a better academic institution than Auburn, but not here. Yet somehow, now, when we are at the end of the rope...this is the excuse. 

Trox, Brahms, and Council are all garbage.  We literally tried to recruit at least a dozen OL and all told us no and went elsewhere. We didn't miss out on them bc our awful OL came back.

That's not true.

Calling out players as "garbage " is over the top . I mean, I get it. Lacking physical ability but to refer to any AU player as garbage is over the top IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Calling out players as "garbage " is over the top . I mean, I get it. Lacking physical ability but to refer to any AU player as garbage is over the top IMO

What ever makes you feel good to describe all of nearly all the OL on are team as not being SEC Talent, that's what they are.  Whatever you use is going to have the exact same meaning.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What ever makes you feel good to describe all of nearly all the OL on are team as not being SEC Talent, that's what they are.  Whatever you use is going to have the exact same meaning.

Wrong again friend. Calling them garbage is uncalled for. Any player that dons the orange and blue has my respect.. Talented or not.. But, to each his own

Edited by NWALA Tiger

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wrong again friend. Calling them garbage is uncalled for. Any player that dons the orange and blue has my respect.. Talented or not.. But, to each his own

What makes you think they aren't respected?

Again, like the other person, you are conflating my criticism and think I'm attacking them personally.  I am not.  This is solely a discussion about football talent.  You can be a good person and a bad offensive lineman.  You can try very hard and be a terrible Offensive Center.  You can love you spouse and treat her well and be a disaster at Right Tackle.

Their ability (or lack there of) isn't a criticism of them personally.  Just how well they perform on the football field.

Just my $.02. 

They aren't garbage.  Sure they would have performed better in a lesser division.

For better or worse they are Ours and they agreed to come back and help this team get through a transition period with the new staff.  They agreed to go through another year of hard work, sweat and pain for AU.  They never once "opted out" like many kids at one of our main rivals did the last couple of years.  I appreciate that and I hope everyone of them leave here with nothing less than a masters degree on Auburn's dime.  I also hope they are getting compensated with NIL $$ in a big way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

You know. That’s not the first time I’ve heard that Auburn is creating a snafu for recruiting bc we don’t have a sports management program. 

This has happened in the past and I’m not taking recent either. 

you would think someone in the AD office could get this fixed. I don’t understand why either of all things we don’t have a sports management program. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

You know. That’s not the first time I’ve heard that Auburn is creating a snafu for recruiting bc we don’t have a sports management program. 

This has happened in the past and I’m not taking recent either. 

you would think someone in the AD office could get this fixed. I don’t understand why either of all things we don’t have a sports management program. 

Exactly!

There's obvious a need.